1205 replies to this topic

#1201 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:29 AM

That's a shame. They were the best since Arqua closed.

BTW: I was disappointed to see that the recipe in Marco's book called for egg; videos show him using just potato, flour, and salt(?). Egg makes it easier to work with, but very different from potato+flour alone.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#1202 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

The gnocchi last night weren't bad; maybe not great, but still as good a rendition as available anywhere in Manhattan. Same for the ricotta/beef meatballs.

I imagine that at some point in the future, Hearth may be the subject of one of those "who goes there" pieces, as the place is 15 years in, and still doing good business,

Reasonable noise level, comfortable seating with actual space between the tables, nice service (I especially liked the somm); basically, a place for a grown-up meal, with prices that in this day and age, are quite comfy. To start, Significant Eater enjoyed her excellent gazpacho, while I scarfed down a lovely dish of marinated squid, with potatoes, beans and maybe a little summer squash.

Those meatballs (on polenta) were my wife's choice for her main, while I had pan-fried skate (a lovely fresh piece), served with green and yellow string beans. Desserts were fine for what they are.

Even the cocktails are good, a step above good restaurant cocktails...I liked that her drink was served properly cold. I didn't start with a cocktail, instead ordering a bottle of riesling. I don't know how the pricing on the rest of the list stacks up, but the wine I ordered appears to retail at around $30, and was $65 here. 

I wouldn't hesitate to send picky or worried eaters here.

#1203 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:57 PM

Right, in fact it's my go-to for out of town visitors, my daughter's last birthday (featuring non-foodie guests), and similar. It's interesting, it's reliable, it's affordable.

I mean I'm not dismissing it for residents also.

#1204 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

Right, in fact it's my go-to for out of town visitors, my daughter's last birthday (featuring non-foodie guests), and similar. It's interesting, it's reliable, it's affordable.

I mean I'm not dismissing it for residents also.

I totally agree. 

I even like the (gasp) philosophy that is being espoused on the menu verso, though I'm sure it causes eye rolls.

This is the kind of place that has disappeared practically everywhere from Manhattan. 

#1205 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:46 PM

For it's 15th birthday (I know), Hearth is blowing the trumpet for its older neighbors -- Veselka, Streecha, J.Bacynzky. One night only tribute dinner, 11/29. Can't find a convenient link, sorry.

Want to do this, looking at when I get back from sunny Wisconsin that week.

#1206 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

I just noticed Hearth has taken over the old Terroir location on the High Line: small plates.