543 replies to this topic

#1 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:59 AM

I must be easily pleased, or else on a roll, because , with the exception of one duff dish, we had a delightful "Tastes of Spring" lunch at Jean Georges yesterday.

Fahro was so excited at sitting a table away from lifetime hero Sidney Poitier that she could barely focus down on the menu Thiis comprises 17 "plates". You pay $24 dollars for two plates each miniumum and then each extra plate is $12 (with a couple of supplements). The menu makes no distinction between starters and mains. The waiter pointed out where one ended and the other began but in terms of portion size (small) it was hard to discern the difference.

If you've not been before it's a little tricky knowing how much to order. We went for three starters and three mains and one dessert plate, which is $8.

All the starters were superb. Egg Caviar is small egg (hen's? quail's? should have asked). Inside the egg has been lightly scrambled with cream. Sitting atop is a swirl of creme fraiche enlivened with a shot of vodka and sprinked with caviar, which imparts a lovely savoury saltiness to offset the creamy richness of the egg and creme.

Also fantastic was a Foie Gras Brulee with a Kumquat Confiture and Orange Liquer Gelee. The delicate caramelised crunch of the brulee was truly a thing of beauty. The dish was so rich and sweet it was almost like a dessert and so the small portion was about right,though at the time I wanted more.

The menu is shot through with tropical and citrus flavours-kunmquat, orange, passion fruit, mango, papaya-and then every now and again you get a classic French flavour-like the Chateau Chalon Sauce that accompanied Turbot-so creamy and winey you could have been in Burgundy

The only duff dish was the Caramelized Beef Tenderloin with Wild Leek Spatzel, Papaya, Ponzu Vinaigerette. This didn't work at all. The beef quality was way inferior to that we'd had at Peter Luger the previuous night, there was no evidence of caramelization on the meat and the citrussy sauce was too "wet" and just sour really-adding nothing to the meat.

Hoewver Poached Lobster with a Gewurtztraminer foam and lovely golden tapioca pearls made us happy as did the desserts and the chocolates and the fesh mint tea and the jar of colured cotton wool like marshmallows and the lovely light streaming into the room altering gradually as the afternoom wore on and, for Fahro at least, as did Sydney Poitier

#2 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

I had the foie gras brulee and the lobster last week for an early dinner. Both are superb dishes. The one time I had the tenderloin, I liked it. It made a nice counterpoint to the lighter dishes and had a tasty crust. Perhaps you got a bad piece of beef? Did you eat in the main dining room? It is a lovely place during the day, with the light all aroound. Nougatine, the less "formal" room, servies similar dishes but more entree size. The service in Nougatine leaves a lot to be desired though.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#3 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:31 PM

Nougatine, the less "formal" room, servies similar dishes but more entree size.

Blimey. It's hard to see how the dishes could be more entree size than they were.Are portions bigger at dinner?

The room was very comfortable and service was excellent. Lots of natural light and the trees in the park made for a splendid lunchtime venue.

#4 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

After a pre-dinner drink at Stone Rose Lounge in the Time Warner Ctr (picture doesn't do the place justice http://newyork.citys...__0_profile_5_1. Huge windows with good views), we had a nice dinner at J-G last night.

It was still light & as others have noted this is a lovely room with massive windows and there's a lot of green outside. For some reason the room felt smaller than on the two pevious visits to the main dining room. Maybe it looks bigger when it's dark outside. Went a la carte for a change with the addition of a fish course.

Amuse. Three things presented on a rectangular plate: crab on porcelain spoon with some tiny cubes of a fruit gelee on top and by the side a bit of (mint?) popadom, green beans in the middle of the plate [the prep escapes me, maybe with mustard] and last a passion-fruit cold soup in a shot glass. I thought these combinations were unpleasant and left most of it. Starting a meal with sweet things is not my cup of tea, either--at taste of what was to follow.

Next I had a crab salad. This was a good portion of chunks of meat and within the mix were small slices of melon and chile crutons. Added at table side was a green sauce made of verbena which the waiter spooned around the edges. I thought the dish was sweet, and swapped it for G's shrimp which wasn't much to look at: three main components consisting of a row of some 5 nice and pink shrimp out of their shells sitting in an orange sauce with pieces of pulp; a streak of pale green puree of artichoke and last, slices of articoke that had been lightly pickled. It all tasted a bit odd to begin with, but this dish grew on me a lot.

We chose turbot with Chateu Chalon sauce as the fish course to share. We both agreed the fish was overcooked. Very good nonetheless, I thought, and G thought this was the highlight.

Main for me was sweetbreads en cocotte with carrots ginger and liquorice. Good helping of sweetbreads which were first class. The carrots were a bit underdone and the sauce was sweet (G agreed) and therefore not to my liking. The ginger seemed to be in the cress around around the meat. I've noticed before J-G does like his cress. Yes, it did add a nice touch of color to the dish initially but the cress soon wilted in the heat. G yummed and ahhed about his lamb with leeks.

G. had cheeses and he said they were good, though the selection appeared limited -e.g., only one runny kind, an Epoisse.

My rhubarb dessert plate was wonderful. All four little dishes were different (from the soup with tapioca; crumble; ice cake with meringue on the bottom, to the barely poached rhubarb (that was reminscent of eating it raw, straight out of the garden, dipped in suger as a young child) with a little pastry. G went for the tropical desserts which he liked.

Very good half bottle of Chablis and one very fine bottle of Cote Roti (?Jasmin).

For me, the meal had some ups and downs. G was much more positive.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

I thought the sweetbreads en cocotte were misconceived when I tried them. They were undercooked, and the flavor hadn't penetrated them. Nice gust of aromas when the lid came off, but eventually one was just eating fairly plain poached sweetbread. Maybe they have tuned it up. Bad luck with the turbot.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:12 PM

We had a delightful (our standards) late lunch at Jean Georges the other day. As the room emptied of power types, we settled in for seven plates:

-Foie brulee: the only takeaway was the disk of brioche - too settled and dense. Otherwise, delicious.

-Caviar, creme fraiche and egg thing: a surprise for a nearly complete lack of taste; most unusual for J-G. A failure.

-Crab salad

-Shrimp: three looked like u-15's, a bit stingy for $24, or even $12

-Lobster

-Poached veal

-Cheese: poor, except for an Irish blue

Dishes without comment were delicious and typical of J-G's flavor profile and skill in making combinations

Wines were paired by the sommelier. The whites, a Rieseling and a Sauvignon Blanc, were good. The reds, a California Shiraz and a French Pinot, were uninteresting.

The room was as pleasant as ever.

The service was very good, although a strangely defensive and pompous maitre d' took a good hour to warm up, and then only some. He may have been uncomfortable in his ill-fitting suitcoat.

It's always pleasant to visit Jean-Georges. I have the feeling that a succession of visits over a relatively short period of time would result in a satisfaction rate of about 90%.

As an aside, I stopped into the new T-W center for the first time, to buy a book. I could have been in Hong Kong or Minneapolis. I made a note to myself never to return, except for a meal now and then.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#7 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:23 PM

I could have been in Hong Kong or Minneapolis. I made a note to myself never to return, except for a meal now and then.

It would not have been the higher-end shopping malls in Hong Kong, such as The Landmark or certain parts of Pacific Place. The shops are much worse in Timewarner. :blink:

#8 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, those are the Minneapolis ones.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:26 PM

I can vouchsafe that shopping at the Time Warner center is much more enjoyable than shopping at any mall in St Paul, Minnesota, Minneapolis's beloved twin city.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#10 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

The Three Musketeers and a friend enjoyed a summer lunch at Jean Georges today (8/14/04). The room was beautiful, with a threatening storm making the skies exciting. After much consultation we opted for five courses, with two to be shared.

Caviar egg to start was delicious, as usual.
An amuse of cold green pea soup with a salad of figs, and ricotta next.
Turbot with Chateau Chalon sauce next.
Half each roast squab and crusted black bass followed,
Poached veal tenderloin with chanterelles (I think) and
Tenderloin of beef were also ordered and tasted.my YT.
Foie gras on brioche.
Finally, the cheese cart with some excellent specimens.

Wines (all BYO)

*Krug Grand Cuvee 1990
*Montrachet 1996 (Bouchard)
*Clos Vougeot 1990 (Leroy)
*Chat. Y'Quem 1990

The veal was new to me at JG and was very good. The "soup" surrounding the black bass was spectacular, made with a base of mushroom stock, with tiny tomatoes and sweet onion.

The '90 Krug and the '90 Y'Quem were the hit wines of the day, though the Montrachet and red burgundy were no slouches.

We enjoyed the company of the US rep. from Krug, whose acquaintance we made via Barry's bottle of 1988 Krug when we ate there several months ago.

The meal was first rate and the company delightful. What a way to spend 3+ hours on a Friday afternoon!

This still ranks as my #1 restaurant in NY.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:27 AM

The meal was first rate and the company delightful. What a way to spend 3+ hours on a Friday afternoon!

This still ranks as my #1 restaurant in NY.

Substantial praise indeed. Your description sounds wonderful.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#12 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:54 AM

I should qualify and say #1 for lunch. Dinner, I understand, can be variable. according to some.

#13 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 06:22 AM

A fabulous lunch indeed.

And don't forget the soft shelled crab with heirloom tomatoes! It must have been great because we forgot to share!

Thunk and I loved the sea bass sauce, our partners less so. But I thought it was one of the highlights of the meal, along with, as usual, the egg caviar, turbot with Chateau Chalon sauce, and fois gras.

The Krug with egg caviar and Yquem with fois gras are combos to ride into heaven.

PS only tiny complaint, the cheese cart wasn't uniformly excellent (Mimmolette was dry). But that's 1 point out of 1,000.

#14 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:47 AM

Lunch was indeed fabulous. Food, wine, and company were knockout.

Jaybee did a great job of summing things up, and most of the dishes have been described on here before, so I don't have much to add. I do think it was the finest meal I've had at JG. Excellent execution all around.

It's a bit tough to nail down the highlights considering the high level the meal sustained, but the decadent caviar egg was incredible. I believe we found the proper way to order the turbot with Chateau Chalon sauce--ask for two helpings of the sauce and take advantage of your sauce spoon. And the foie brulee was just tremendous. Insanely delicious, this dish was hitting on all cylinders today.

The Krug and d'Yquem were wonderful. And I will definitely be picking up some '90 Krug. The Burgs were good as well but neither really sang today.

Rarely have I had such an enjoyable lunch.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#15 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 04:41 PM

I believe we found the proper way to order the turbot with Chateau Chalon sauce--ask for two helpings of the sauce and take advantage of your sauce spoon.

Quite. For me this dish was the highlight of our last meal at J-G, despite the turbot being overcooked.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson