53 replies to this topic

#31 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Friday night I am going to be in Chicago for a deposition. It will be in the medical center/UIC area, specifically south ashland ave. Any good eats within walking distance for dinner and breakfast the next morning?

gracias.

if it warms up tomorrow you could walk to nuevo leon in pilsen (great mexican - byob) , it's probably like a mile. you are also close to butter, there's a thread here about it somewhere and it's very highly regarded. for breakfast i'd go to wishbone.

you are right by an el stop if you wanted to travel to another neighborhood.

thanks. I will probably finish the deposition late, so I will have to hurry to get in for dinner, and the next morning I am leaving early, so again no time to explore. We were originally going to stay for the weekend, but things changed and we have to get back early on Saturday. I am going to check out Butter's site and see how late they serve.

#32 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:31 AM

A very satisfying lunch at Frontera Grill. Sat at the bar for well under an hour (we were told an hour wait) for a table. Very good margarita and a special house tequila cocktail with the addition rose water and petals.

Mixed app for 2. Six of the some seven or so items were superb (of note: jicama and pineapple/grapefruit salad; little tacco boats filled with melted cheese; divine chips and guac.; ceviche). Less good, but still pretty decent, were the meat filled tacquitos.

I then had Red chile-marinated Maple Creek pork taccos, with charcoaled pineapple, slab bacon and red onion. Most flavorful and good black beans on the side.

G had a special that I can't recall, but he was delighted with it. A bottle of Cosumano ($36) andf the total came to $89 before tip. Really, really good food.

ah, we had pretty much the same lunch last week, except we had a house salad in place of the special. the salad was spectacular, with wood-over roasted onions and cotija cheese (i think?) - perfectly balanced, perfectly dressed - so rare to get a really good salad. i agree on the mixed app platter, except our jicama didn't gave grapefruit - just pineapple and not enough of it. it didn't seem that well seasoned either. the cheese quesadillas with epazote were delicious and so were the pork tacos... some mezcal to finish, mmm.....
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#33 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:40 AM

oh, and an excellent quick bite at Avec - LOVED it. the space reminded me of Ssam Bar, actually, the approach too. this place would be HUGE in NYC.

we were having a bite before our Alinea 24-course dinner - next time, we'll make it a full dinner. wonderful pea crostini topped with pea shoot & watercress salad; pizza with house made lamb sausage, lima beans, artichokes and dandelion greens; and radish-snap pea-fennel salad with pepper cress and goat cheese. wanted to have so much more off that menu. loved it.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#34 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

Short-notice biz trip to Chicago (well Downers Grove, actually) at the end of this week. I'm planning to take the train in town on Thursday evening, go to the Art Institute and then dinner. Are any of the places discussed here near the Art Institute? Does it matter? I'm looking for good food, preferably something I can't get readily in Seattle. Other than the top-end places, I'm open to anything.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#35 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Short-notice biz trip to Chicago (well Downers Grove, actually) at the end of this week. I'm planning to take the train in town on Thursday evening, go to the Art Institute and then dinner. Are any of the places discussed here near the Art Institute? Does it matter? I'm looking for good food, preferably something I can't get readily in Seattle. Other than the top-end places, I'm open to anything.

Believe it or not, Downers Grove is not without its charms. OK, maybe it has no charms, but it does have many decent eating options. I highly recommend Katy's Dumpling House. It's actually in Westmont, but it's like next door. Really good Chinese noodles, captured well at this site.

In the same strip mall as Katy's, there are two Indian places. I've tried the vegetarian place and would be happy to return but for the fact that if I am ever in that mall, I cannot resist Katy's.

It's been a little while since my last visit but Shahi Nehari in Lombard is a pretty decent place for Pakistani food. See here for more.

A lot of places in Chicago have locations in the area. I actually like the Greek Islands in Lombard better than the Greektown original.

Finally, you can have some of the best food in Chicago, period, in nearby Western Springs at Vie. Vie is probably the place in Chicago concentrating on local food. See this thread for info, with some great pics too.
Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie

Just as long as you leave my "Alinea II: Electric Boogaloo" thing alone. - jinmyo

The Local Beet

#36 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the tip on Vie, that looks like a great option for my first night.

Found a review of an interesting sounding Filipino place in Downers Grove called Cebu. Any thoughts or experiences?

#37 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

I've never been to Cebu. If you put the name into the search engine on LTHForum.com you will find quite a few posts on it, all positive from what I can tell.

Just as long as you leave my "Alinea II: Electric Boogaloo" thing alone. - jinmyo

The Local Beet

#38 Krystal

Krystal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

Seattle is a great eating town, what are you looking for in Chicago?

#39 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

Well, with this bump, Tighe, where'd ya eat, how was it?

The Local Beet

#40 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten the full report put together yet, but in summary...

First night I had dinner at Vie, nice place, good food, felt more like a dinner in late fall rather than the middle of summer. I wish I'd ordered for myself rather than going with the tasting menu.

Second night I made 3 stops for apps: Frontera Grill, NAHA and Avec. Tried to go to Blackbird as well, but it was rammed. Liked the food I had at all three places and would be happy to have a full meal at any of them.

Unfortunately I couldn't negotiate a lunch a Cebu as my host was determined to take me to Downers Grove's finest chain restaurants.

#41 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten the full report put together yet, but in summary...

First night I had dinner at Vie, nice place, good food, felt more like a dinner in late fall rather than the middle of summer. I wish I'd ordered for myself rather than going with the tasting menu.

The one time my wife and I had the tasting menu, we did not love the choices either. I'm interested to hear what you had/why it seemed more like fall.

The Local Beet

#42 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

What is the best steakhouse in downtown Chicago?

#43 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Looks like either David Burke Primehouse or Gibson's?

#44 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ Aug 14 2007, 10:48 PM) View Post
Was it a chef's blind tasting (i.e. chef cooks on a whim for the diner) or was their a printed set tasting menu? If the latter, did the dishes not taste or present what the description had suggested?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#45 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Aug 22 2007, 09:42 AM) View Post
Looks like either David Burke Primehouse or Gibson's?

Most people (I know) love David Burke's. I have not been, so I cannot really comment. I will say that it's a place that I wanna try.

Gibson's, I've been too several times. I like the place, but I would recommend with reservations. My biggest reservation would be, for a steak house, the steaks are nothing special. That may be a dealbreaker if all you care about is good meat. On the other hand, what makes Gibson's special is its panache, it's high-roller-ness, it's vibe, a little how I imagine Toots Shoor (or is that Schoor) or Fritzel's. Granted, there are people that this atmosphere, this scene, puts off. Like I say, I like it. Foodwise, I like the sliced flank steak with giardinara or the burger (an especially good version). The sides and obscene (sized) desserts are good too.

I'm an even bigger fan of Gene and Georgetti's, but I make some reservations of this place as well. Gibson's is old enough now that it's verging on real classic not painted lady classic. Gene and Georgetti's is the real thing, a dying breed, two fisted, give me a steak and leave me alone, Mad Men, kinda place. I'm not sure if the recent change in smoking laws in Illinois has clensed the cigar aroma from the main floor. Now, here's my two reservations about G&G. First, again, for a steak place, it's just not gonna be the stellar, dry-aged marvel that you'd hope for. It will be an exceedingly good, charred steak though, better than Gibson's. Still, the stuff I love best, again, are not the steaks. My favorite dishes here are the garbage salad (get regardless of what you order), the chicken vesuvio (a Chicago thing of chicken and potatoes in a garlic-wne sauce) or the liver (really, really good). My second reservation is that the rep here is that it can be brusque to the point of well beyond rude, especially if you get shunted to the upstairs Siberia. I've never experienced, but I've also never sat upstairs--hint, ask for the main floor.

Good luck.

The Local Beet