45 replies to this topic

#16 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

This is a great thread, since I've been having really great Japanese food this entire week.

I've never had it at Nishino, but I made it from Autumn Omakase last night, and had omakase at Mashiko the night before. One of my favorites from Mashiko this time was the fresh uni served in a fragment of the sea urchin's shell served on ice.

If anyone likes uni, there's live uni at Uwajimaya right now. Cleaning it is very messy, but not that difficult (I used the instructions in Autumn Omakase).

I'll blog more about Autumn Omakase later, but everything turned out pretty well (except the tempura was a little uneven). But how else can you have a dinner with truffle, foie gras, caviar, uni, toro, and sake for $70/p?

#17 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:58 PM

I'm a bit dense . . . what is Autumn Omakase? A restaurant? A book?

#18 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:17 PM

But how else can you have a dinner with truffle, foie gras, caviar, uni, toro, and sake for $70/p?

NExt time you are in Boston sit at Uni sashimi bar when chef Ken Oringer is behind the bar. Uni in the shell with nori sugar croquant and green apple foam, foie gras with unagi and crispy pork belly, truffles in shirred duck egg in the shell, etc...You might even get away with it for $70!

#19 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:56 PM

A few of us had lunch at Takohachi today. I'm totally in the minority here but I didn't love the bacon fried rice. The bacon was cooked (or should I say uncooked) perfectly - that is nice and limp so it retains all the fatty goodness, but I didn't like the onion (not caramelized enough) and it doesn't have egg in it. I was also not a fan of the croquettes - too bland for me. On the other hand, the tonkatsu was some of the best I've ever had. Nice large piece of pork that didn't dry out when frying. And I loved the cabbage slaw served with it. The miso soup was another favorite. I think next time I go, I'll try the ramen.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#20 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

I was also at Takohachi and I had the saba shioyaki, which they do so well. It's got to be the best value in town--$7.95 (IIRC) for a big slab of mackeral, perfectly grilled, big bowl of steamed rice (I find the bacon rice too rich with the saba), and miso soup. I seem to remember getting some sort of pickle along with it in the past, but didn't today.

I thought Lauren's katsu rocked--like a juicy, deep-fried pork chop, yum!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#21 nightscotsman

nightscotsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:53 AM

I love and crave both the beef teriyaki and the katsu curry at Hana on Broadway. Simple home-style cooking sure, but oh so good and satisfying!

#22 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

I three was also at Takohachi, I had the miso kimchee nabe. Very nice soup, though I could have used more of the very tasty kimchee. Very large portion and a good variety of items in it. The curry on my rice was kind of bland though, maybe a little bit of pickled ginger or daikon would have been nice. Overall it was really good and I really need to go more than once a year.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#23 jkonick

jkonick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:55 AM

I love the anago tempura and shiso/ume tsukune at Maekawa. Actually, everything at Maekawa's pretty good...

#24 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Mr. Bill and I tried a couple new (to me) places last night.

We started at Umi Sake House for a few happy hour nibbles. They have two sushi samplers and two sashimi samplers and we shared one of each. We also shared an unagi roll and some edamame. The fish was definitely above par - I particularly enjoyed the salmon. The thing that really excited me was the size of the sake list. It seems to go on and on. And, because I am not that familiar with sake, I really appreciated the tasting notes they provide for each one. The space is soothing inside (we sat in the back room). There is a lot of bamboo on the walls and a nice indoor garden space under a sky light. Was that sky light there when it was Bada Lounge? It didn't look new but neither of us could remember it being there.

Next we went to Wann Japanese Izakaya. It was pretty dead when we got there around 7 PM (just as their happy hour ended). They seem to be very proud of the number of shochu they offer and Bill was happy to try one recommended by the bartender. It reminded me of a low end white tequila, but what do I know? I only saw a handful of sake offered. We tried three dishes off the house specialties section which, we were told, the top sellers from the larger menu offered when they first opened. I really liked the takoyaki - but I've never had it before so have nothing to compare it to. Bill said the pieces of octopus were larger than he's had before and the batter was less sponge-y. They were topped with squiggles of a couple of different sauces and tons of bonito flakes. My only complaint is that I don't think they were fried to order. We also had a hamachi roll and a smoked pork plate. Both of which I thought were just okay. Bill liked the pork better than I did. I would definitely go back at some point, but only for happy hour. It was a tad expensive and I can't see really making a full meal out of the food offered.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#25 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Was that sky light there when it was Bada Lounge? It didn't look new but neither of us could remember it being there.

Yeah, they had the skylight, but I think it was at least partially painted over because they had that big projection screen in the middle of the room.

#26 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Next we went to Wann Japanese Izakaya. It was pretty dead when we got there around 7 PM (just as their happy hour ended). They seem to be very proud of the number of shochu they offer and Bill was happy to try one recommended by the bartender. It reminded me of a low end white tequila, but what do I know? I only saw a handful of sake offered. We tried three dishes off the house specialties section which, we were told, the top sellers from the larger menu offered when they first opened. I really liked the takoyaki - but I've never had it before so have nothing to compare it to. Bill said the pieces of octopus were larger than he's had before and the batter was less sponge-y. They were topped with squiggles of a couple of different sauces and tons of bonito flakes. My only complaint is that I don't think they were fried to order. We also had a hamachi roll and a smoked pork plate. Both of which I thought were just okay. Bill liked the pork better than I did. I would definitely go back at some point, but only for happy hour. It was a tad expensive and I can't see really making a full meal out of the food offered.

I went to Wann after work yesterday and really didn't think the food was worth a re-visit. Maybe ordering off the full menu is better, but nothing from the bar menu rose above pedestrian. I had one cocktail, which was uninspired and too easy to drink.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#27 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

White Lotus and I (and the rest of our group) had a very good dinner at Nishino's last night for the 25 for $25 special. It was my first time there and I was very impressed! Pretty good crab cake and salsa, but the seared albacore sashimi and accompaniments appetizer I tasted of hubby's was even better, wonderful sushi and rolls, wonderful marinated miso cod, too. The desserts were ok, but I preferred the apps and mains much better. We got right in at 5:45pm but shortly there after there were constant lines out the door and the place was packed. This place is popular! I can't wait to go back for more sushi and I'd love to try that soup. Also, I didn't realize that at Nishino's tea is complementary, like it is supposed to be in all Japanese restaurants, I learned. But you have to ask for it, and White Lotus picked out a great one for us.

Between all of us, I think we sampled everything on the 25 for $25 menu except the chicken entree.

Ginger Dungeness Crab Cake
Posted Image

Seared Albacore Tuna Sashimi
Posted Image

Shiitake, Enoki and Maitake Mushroom Soup
Posted Image

Assorted Sushi and Roll
Posted Image

Broiled Black Cod Marinated in Miso
Posted Image

Baked Tofu, Japanese Eggplant, Spinach and Mushrooms with Creamy Spicy Sauce
Posted Image

Sorbet for the Day (the green one is Shiso)
Posted Image

Coconut Milk Tapioca
Posted Image

Ginger Cream Mousse
Posted Image

#28 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

yum - looks delicious. i wonder if they are as packed before/after 25-4-25.

leslie, you said the green sorbet was miso? (did you mean shiso??) if not, what made it green?

#29 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

leslie, you said the green sorbet was miso? (did you mean shiso??) if not, what made it green?

reese, thank you, you are exactly right! I meant to say shiso. :blink: ... going back to edit post!

I, too, wondered if they are always that busy, or just for 25 for $25? The restaurant is smaller than I expected... a very nice upscale neighborhood restaurant. There sure are a lot of nice restaurants in that general neighorhood, too. I'm wanting to go back to Harvest Vine, it's been awhile...

#30 bbqer

bbqer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

reese, thank you, you are exactly right! I meant to say shiso. :blink: ... going back to edit post!

I, too, wondered if they are always that busy, or just for 25 for $25? The restaurant is smaller than I expected... a very nice upscale neighborhood restaurant. There sure are a lot of nice restaurants in that general neighorhood, too. I'm wanting to go back to Harvest Vine, it's been awhile...

What beautifully colored foods and exquisite platings. Each is like an abstract painting. A feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds. Nice pictures!
"Never eat more than you can lift." ~ Miss Piggy