45 replies to this topic

#31 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

Just a reminder - Mashiko (West Seattle) is still fabulous. I had a wonderful time this evening - there was a special dinner going on, so there were a lot of unusual items available for anyone. I can't say that I went for the very exotic (sea cucumber guts anyone? fermented squid?), but I had some fine salmon - red and white belly, blue fin tuna, and special salads and rolls.

#32 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:29 AM

Amen. I've had a couple great meals at Mashiko in the last few months. Still my go-to place for sushi.

The other night, scrat and I had dinner at Daimanji in Georgetown, very good cooked dishes but didn't try the sushi. I had a pork in ginger sauce dish that was excellent.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#33 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:00 AM

Scrat and I tried Miyabi in Southcenter tonight. Sushi was above average and some of the cooked items were quite good, particularly the chicken meatballs. Not worth making a trip for, but if you're at Southcenter needing some chow, it beats the pants off of the omnipresent chain restaurants.

#34 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(tighe @ Jun 21 2007, 08:29 PM) View Post
Amen. I've had a couple great meals at Mashiko in the last few months. Still my go-to place for sushi.

The other night, scrat and I had dinner at Daimanji in Georgetown, very good cooked dishes but didn't try the sushi. I had a pork in ginger sauce dish that was excellent.

Amber and I LOVE Daimanji...our pick as the best food in G-town/South Park that is not Mexican.

South End has gotta get a decent Chinese delivery place, though...Any suggestions, Vince?

~Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#35 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Fay Jai @ Feb 25 2008, 02:35 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ Jun 21 2007, 08:29 PM) View Post

Amber and I LOVE Daimanji...our pick as the best food in G-town/South Park that is not Mexican.

South End has gotta get a decent Chinese delivery place, though...Any suggestions, Vince?

~Jason

I like Ming Wong in Burien (14400 Ambaum, same strip mall as DQ) a lot, but they don't deliver (I don't think). Given the crappy delivery available, it's worth the 10 minute drive to go get it.

#36 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:53 AM

Is it completely wrong to like Boom Noodle?
It's loud, fun, the food was quite good, the drinks are interesting and tasty - mildly expensive for ramen and parking sucks.

#37 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Mar 21 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post

No. I have had some things there which were pretty average (Shio Ramen and Salmon udon...or whatever it was)...BUT the edamame puree is like....umami to the Nth degree, and just to die for. I think I could go in and just eat 3 orders of that and nothing else. Everything on that plate is amazing.

#38 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(da goose @ Mar 24 2008, 09:32 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tsquare @ Mar 21 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post

No. I have had some things there which were pretty average (Shio Ramen and Salmon udon...or whatever it was)...BUT the edamame puree is like....umami to the Nth degree, and just to die for. I think I could go in and just eat 3 orders of that and nothing else. Everything on that plate is amazing.

Thanks - yeah, I prefer the small starter plates to the noodles. Some great flavor combinations.

#39 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:45 AM

I have to disagree about Boom Noodle. I went there recently and came away really underwhelmed. The ramen just isn't ramen and while there were some decent small plates I can think of several places in Seattle that do them better and cheaper.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#40 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(tighe @ Feb 23 2008, 11:00 PM) View Post
Scrat and I tried Miyabi in Southcenter tonight. Sushi was above average and some of the cooked items were quite good, particularly the chicken meatballs. Not worth making a trip for, but if you're at Southcenter needing some chow, it beats the pants off of the omnipresent chain restaurants.

Second visit to Miyabi last night and had two absolultely spectacular items. First was grilled mackerel, perfectly cooked with crisp skin and moist meat. Second was grilled hamachi collar special. OH - MY - GOD! This was off the charts (or hook). Rich, moist meat, again, perfectly cooked. Whoever is grilling fish in their kitchen is a master, I'm confident that better fish was not served anywhere in Seattle last night. My original post says the place isn't worth a trip down south, but it would be for the collar and the mackerel (and any other grilled fish they may be offering).

#41 marina

marina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Mar 28 2008, 09:45 PM) View Post
I have to disagree about Boom Noodle. I went there recently and came away really underwhelmed. The ramen just isn't ramen and while there were some decent small plates I can think of several places in Seattle that do them better and cheaper.

Rocky

i agree with you. underwhelming to the max. especially when the sysco truck started wheeling their delivery (the super cheap gyoza from uwajimaya, crappy tonkatsu sauce) through the dining room in the middle of lunch service. terrible ramen. and i've tried it on a few occasions to see if there was an improvement.
i also got one of their special non-alcoholic drinks...a yummy layer of brown foam from the juicer on top. salmon tataki was raw the first time we ordered. cooked well-done on the second trip.
service was eh. food was blah and not worth the $. i think i'm done trying them.

#42 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

okay, I haven't been back in awhile, so I have no idea how Boom is holding up. On the other hand, we had some tasty cold tofu with Taiwanese sauce at Gourmet Noodle Bowl last night. I could almost think it was Japanese - but guess I would be wrong. The soup wasn't bad either, a little light overall.

#43 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

First visit to Mashiko in a long while this weekend. Tremendous omakase menu. It really impresses me how they continue to innovate despite being in business for so long. Black cod liver pate was interesting and delicious, actually preferred it to the monkfish liver it was served with. A deep-fried salmon roll with crab and shiso was 'eyes rolling back in the head' good....

#44 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

Mashiko - the first sustainable only seafood sushi restaurant in Seattle. First in the universe to switch, as an already established place. Had a fun time at the preview party. August dinner

Tighe - I know how you feel about the limitations of local, organic, sustainable etc - but you've already mentioned liking the black cod liver - so you've already started in on the conversion process. My guess is most of your last omakase dinner was sustainable. I'm pretty sure ours was, looking back.

#45 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Aug 16 2009, 09:27 PM) View Post
Tighe - I know how you feel about the limitations of local, organic, sustainable etc - but you've already mentioned liking the black cod liver - so you've already started in on the conversion process. My guess is most of your last omakase dinner was sustainable. I'm pretty sure ours was, looking back.

My problems with the 'local, sustainable, etc.' have much more to do with the underlying philosophies (we're saving the world) and how its expressed in restaurants (don't actually do anything to the ingredients) than believing that it actually places limitations on the level of cuisine that can be produced. I'm completely on board with Mashiko's decision and during our last two meals, we discussed some the changes and some of the sustainable ingredients already being offered. The black cod liver is awesome, blows away any monkfish liver I've had, by a wide margin. Having read the articles about Hajime's choice to go sustainable, I really look forward to trying some of the smaller/lower on the food chain fish that he talks about serving.