370 replies to this topic

#316 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:08 AM

To put things in perspective, the entry level menu at desencaja mentioned above is 36 euros. A place like moratín that I usually recommend to difficult tourists is 30 euros.

There are thousands of restaurants, tabernas, tapas bars, noodle shops, sandwich and burger joints, etc. Where you can eat for that much or less, and certainly no shortage of menus del día for ~13 euros if you do lunch. I'll list some casual places tomorrow.

The not drinking part is going to be weird, especially since in Spain wine and beer are not considered alcohol. I think as a matter of courtesy your partner should order a non alcoholic drink so the place can make those couple of euros.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#317 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

I had thought that about the alcohol, too. I was thinking we'd each order wine, and I would just drink both. I'd end up pretty tipsy pretty quickly, but I'm a happy drunk, so that's not such a bad thing.

#318 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:41 AM

To put things in perspective, the entry level menu at desencaja mentioned above is 36 euros. A place like moratín that I usually recommend to difficult tourists is 30 euros.

There are thousands of restaurants, tabernas, tapas bars, noodle shops, sandwich and burger joints, etc. Where you can eat for that much or less, and certainly no shortage of menus del día for ~13 euros if you do lunch. I'll list some casual places tomorrow.

The not drinking part is going to be weird, especially since in Spain wine and beer are not considered alcohol. I think as a matter of courtesy your partner should order a non alcoholic drink so the place can make those couple of euros.

Good point.    My reference is France, where diners are expected to order a beverage.   I vividly remember one visit, felled by a sciatic attack,  trying to explain at dinner that I couldn't drink because I was on pain medication and being told, "Oh, but wine doesn't count.   I somehow survived but am sure I careened down a few streets like a boat in class 3 rapids.    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#319 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:12 AM

Are kalimotxo and sangria commonly served across Spain, or are they regional or seasonal? I think those might be more do-able, and being able to order those would save me from having to drink too much. I am a pretty good drunk, though.

#320 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

I don't think I've ever seen kalimotxo on offer in Madrid, but then I never looked for it. You might want to consider a vermut con sifón there, but starting with a small beer (caña in Madrid, small beer in most other places) and then a glass of wine is okay. Sangria is a tourist drink and really just a way to make tinto de verano more expensive and to make people order it not only when they´re in Andalusia, it's 110 degrees, and they plan to stand around drinking until dropping dead at 4am. 

Remember that the cure for hangovers, if you get them, is a carajillo (you might like a carajillo bombon better)

And then you can continue to La Garriga - a group of catalan invaders who specialize in all sorts of excellent and delicate charcuterie. They open early, I think before 9am, and they make great little sandwiches - if you care about blood sausages I can recommend one with morcilla and one with butifarra negra for comparison (you will also be acknowledging that the town of La Garriga has an annual Botifarra fair) but everything from the boar face to the various sausages is good. 

#321 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:00 AM

Is Russ & Daughters in Vegas yet?

#322 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:03 AM

I had thought that about the alcohol, too. I was thinking we'd each order wine, and I would just drink both. I'd end up pretty tipsy pretty quickly, but I'm a happy drunk, so that's not such a bad thing.

That is splendid self-sacrifice. I've done the same for more than one non/scarcely-drinking partner, and I can vouch for the strategy.

#323 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

I think Ive now seen peak bidet service. They placed a cushion under my wifes heels at Horcher.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#324 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

I think Ive now seen peak bidet service. They placed a cushion under my wifes heels at Horcher.

They do that. One of the waiters saw me looking around last time and said it's been this pretty since they recently renovated, in 1993.

#325 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:13 PM

I’ve had nothing but great meals here so far but the one place whose economics i wish could work in nyc is o’pazo.

But really everything is great.

#326 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

Yes.

Have you been to Sacha? I can never believe the check there. 

#327 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Tomorrow

#328 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:42 PM

We did a round of Gambas rojo for dessert and I still barely broke 200 Eur w 2 bottles of wine

#329 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:47 AM

We did a round of Gambas rojo for dessert and I still barely broke 200 Eur w 2 bottles of wine

Basically someone is cooking for free as you're not going to get the stuff any cheaper at the market.

#330 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Madrid remains one of my favorite cities.  We didn't do much beyond walk around, check out the Prado and eat extremely well.  The city is just absolutely tremendous value for money.

Horcher - Drank I believe a '64 CVNE Imperial with pressed partridge and deer strogonoff. Can't be overstated how absurd this place is.  As noted above they placed a cushion under my wife's feet. Nearly all of the dishes are at least finished tableside.  Its really ridiculous.  But its pretty good, and the wine list is insanely cheap.  Totally a museum piece.

Taberna Verdejo- The neighborhood restaurant of your dreams run by some of the most lovely people ever.  Our bill was <120 EUR for two with a nice bottle of Garnacha that hit the right notes.  Just really good food from good products. If we lived in Madrid (and why don't we really?) I'd be on a first name basis with the people here. We stayed in Salamanca, so this was walking distance. Not used to foreigners, but seemed very happy to have them. Wanted to know how we found them.

Asturianos - Incredible wine list (I was drinking EN La bota de fino for 4 euro a glass) - food was good, tho I don't think we ordered incredibly well.  Well priced, probably need a bigger group/and or don't order the fabada. Very old fashioned place.

Alabaster - In a weird way while the food was very good it felt a bit less essential than the other places we went to.  If it were in NYC (even at NYC prices) It would be a huge rave, but in Madrid it felt a bit international. Still great food, great place - shouldn't be anything other than a rave.  Sardines, Octopus, Raye, steak tartar.

O'Pazo - what can I say that hasn't already been said. Amazing place with great product at a preposterous price.  Gambas, Carabinieros, Turbot, Octopus. I'd eat here twice a month.

Sacha - I unequivocally ordered wrong here (on the veg side where I ordered this kind of weird stew of cardoon + Mrs. B wanted the Steak Tartare, which while good wasn't so interesting) which just threw off the whole meal, and I didn't like the famous razor clams.  I was kind of bummed. That said the other things we had were great.  Go, but don't repeat my mistakes.