84 replies to this topic

#31 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Wow! We are going to have a lot of mac and cheese to compare!

Originally I was thinking I would do this as a sit-down dinner but now, given all the folks who love mac and cheese as much as I do, I think we'll do it as a buffet. I figure I can seat 28 around the house (as comfortably as possible given you'll be eating from plates on your lap)! By my count we have 21 confirmed and 6 maybe's:

Confirmed:
Lauren & Paul
white lotus and Friend
Rockdoggydog & Dani
Fwed & MG Apicus
Gourmetlight$ & Bob
little ms & mr foodie
Della & Greg
girlchow
MySiuMai
Artzygirl
Leslie & hubby
heyjude & Richard

Maybe's:
kayswv & Al
schielke & the missus
Seagal & Gary

That leaves room for just one more person. If I have you listed as a confirmed and you aren't going to make it, let me know......

As for time, I was thinking starting around 6 PM, how does that sound? I'm open to anything. Okay maybe not anything. How about I'm open to starting anywhere between 5 and 7 PM whatever everyone prefers.

With white lotus' 8 folding chairs, I should have plenty of seating. Does anyone have any tv trays they could bring? What a funny name - are they still called tv trays? That's what we called them when I was a kid. Anyway - I thought that might help with the knee balancing dilemma.

I sense an all salad week coming after all this cheesy goodness!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#32 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Can I jump in on the fun? I can bring a mac n' cheese contribution or a side. Your choice!
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene

#33 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

Can I jump in on the fun?

You bet! We can figure out what's needed to round out the menu in the next week or so.

At this point, until we hear from the maybe's, we're at capacity. I'll put anyone else who wants to join in our mac and cheese fest on a wait list.

I can hardly wait!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#34 kayswv

kayswv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:23 AM

Lauren,

Thank you for putting a place marker for Al and I as a maybe. We appreciate that. Unfortunately, we are going to have to pass on this gathering as we have too much "on our plate". Too bad it isn't Mac and Cheese.

We returned last week from a month in England and leave next week for three nights in Vancouver, BC to enjoy Dine Out Vancouver 2006. We'll miss Abra and Shel by a week.

We leave again on 20 February for another month in England, greeting by then a new grandchild.

We will be looking for pictures of the dishes and I'll be checking the recipe link. Our English son-in-law loves Mac and Cheese so I'll be happy to try some of the new recipes I find. Will be filling their freezer before I leave so many opportunities to try many recipes.

Have lots of fun as we know you will. We'll miss you but look forward to another chance to get together.

Kay (and Al)

#35 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:29 AM

Greg and I will be bringing a spicy cabbage dish (served warm) and a cucumber salad (served cold). Intention is to offset some of the richness of the Mac and Cheese extravaganza. I know I speak for the both of us when I say we are looking forward to this event very much!! We will bring some wine as well. If there is anything else we can contribute - please let us know.
Della

#36 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:46 AM

Gary and I are definitely in--I'm just not sure what to bring. Seems like we already have plenty of M&C--I'll have to give it some thought.......
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#37 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

You can never have too much mac n cheese!!!!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#38 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

...but if by some chance you do (have too much M&C), you can always refrigerate it in a pyrex pan, cut it into sticks, bread it, and deep-fry it.

(Where *is* that drool icon??)
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#39 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

...but if by some chance you do (have too much M&C), you can always refrigerate it in a pyrex pan, cut it into sticks, bread it, and deep-fry it.

(Where *is* that drool icon??)

Hey Jan, this is what you can bring!! yum!! we have a deep fryer we are willing to bring over if anyone wants to give it a shot!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#40 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

Wow this sounds like so much fun! Please post pictures--and the results of your taste-testing!

Drooling unattractively behind her monitor,
Ling

#41 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

Unfortunately, the fried m&c only works if it's been well-chilled before cutting. (Ditto fried mozzerella, fried polenta, etc.)

Not that I would know. :blush:
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#42 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

I've decided on my dessert for Mac and Cheez nite. I'll be bringing Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake with Brown Sugar and Bourban Cream. I was going to bring something lighter and fruity but I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while and heck what's a few more carbs between friends, right?? :blush:
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#43 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

I've been down for the count with computer probs lately, so I haven't checked in. Still planning to come, tho! Will we be sent an address? And I haven't seen a confirmed start time.

Della and I are obviously thinking alike: Cucumber salad was in my idea bin, but I'm going to switch (with the same goal) to an herbed carrot and beet salad with garlic, cilantro and rice vinegar.

Looking forward to my first Mouthfuls soiree!

MySiuMai
(Megan)
My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

Jane and Michael Stern, Square Food

#44 white lotus

white lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:14 AM

I am glad that things are starting to stir again on this thread. I am still planning on bringing a green salad, pelegrino water, martinellis and a mixed citrus fruit plate as well. My folding chairs will be at Laurens by Saturday sometime (@ Lauren's convenience). The next call i.e. definite meeting time, maps & directions will be up to Lauren. See you all then. Cheers! :blush: wl

#45 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:35 AM

I'm bringing some type of Mac n cheese--just can't decide what kind. I'll give it some serious thought this weekend and come up with something.

This should be fun!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2