#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

NY Times has an article today about the advances in wheat-free baking

Gluten-Free Pantry and Pamela's Products have been the standouts with the wheat-free crowd for years and are widely available. But now they have competition from hundreds of companies that make wheat- or gluten-free baked goods that are as moist and flavorful as the real thing.

I've tested many of them and found several that deserve to be singled out. Chip Rosenberg and his wife, Patsy, who has food allergies, started Cherrybrook Kitchen less than a year ago. Now the company sells mixes for chocolate cakes and sugar cookies nationwide at stores like Whole Foods and SuperTarget. Their light, crisp sugar cookies are perfect as holiday gifts or to dip in hot chocolate .

Gluten Free

Pamela's

NY Times

Cherry Brook
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:06 AM

I'm sorry Paul, but I don't approve of intolerance in any of its nefarious guises. And I will not give my custom to outfits that pander to the intolerant.

Hold on a minute. What?

Oh, really?

Uh . . . Sorry, Paul, I have to go now.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#3 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

In a very small women's fly fishing group of which I am part, we have not one but two celiacs. It's something that seems to be on the increase. Luckily there are also more places now offering gluten-free products for baking and we have a newfound appreciation for corn chips and salsa at group meetings. :D

Fly
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#4 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

I'm bringing this thread back up because the number of people with Celiac disease that I know has suddenly doubled, from three to six. I have been doing some gluten-free baking for them, thanks to xanthan gum and judicious recipe choices (there are some great recipes calling for ground nuts and meringue that are naturally gluten free). My biggest triumph so far has been a pumpkin cheesecake, the crust of which was made with home-made gluten-free graham crackers.

I was wondering if anyone else here has been baking gluten free. Didn't one of the MF members (Artzygirl?) have tests for this disease not so long ago?

Fly
Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer

#5 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:45 AM

Food & Wine published several gluten free baked good recipes recently.
Future Legacy Participant.

#6 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:56 AM

Food & Wine published several gluten free baked good recipes recently.

These recipes look good and I am especially glad to see the brownie bites recipe. Definitely on the list of possibilities for an upcoming Christmas cookie exchange party where a third of the participants are celiacs.

Thanks!

Fly
Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer

#7 monkeymay

monkeymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:01 AM

I'm bringing this thread back up because the number of people with Celiac disease that I know has suddenly doubled, from three to six. I have been doing some gluten-free baking for them, thanks to xanthan gum and judicious recipe choices (there are some great recipes calling for ground nuts and meringue that are naturally gluten free). My biggest triumph so far has been a pumpkin cheesecake, the crust of which was made with home-made gluten-free graham crackers.

I was wondering if anyone else here has been baking gluten free. Didn't one of the MF members (Artzygirl?) have tests for this disease not so long ago?

Fly

I cooked for someone with severe dietary issues...no wheat, corn, fruit, tomato, citrus, garlic, black pepper..limited dairy/meat - he could do eggs, a little half and half, imported feta cheese... it was actually a fun challenge to figure out how to cook "real" food for someone with so many restrictions. I used to make a gluten free mix of rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour for the cakes, and a soy flour/rice flour blend that I would wisk into a crepe batter for "tortillas" (since he couldn't eat corn). Because he couldn't have fruit and began having chocolate issues, my desserts tended towards angelfood cake, meringues, flans, rice puddings. Pizza "crusts" were made from grated baked potato, rice/soy flour and a little potato starch.
Then I went to Whole Foods and found a potato/rice crust premade in the freezer section! Saved a lot of time. WF carries a number of gluten free products - some are terrible (a few of the breads are like doorstops) but I really liked their rice noodles for pasta because they didn't have corn starch (unlike Asian rice noodles).
After I finished the gig I spent a week cooking pasta with garlic, butter and pork just because I could. :blink:
Good Politics. Bad Attitude.
Rough Tough Creampuff
Playing on the corner of crack and gentrification since 2004

If the world went backwards I would be Queen

#8 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

I know it's not really baking, but I have a great thought for another gluten free alternative recipe- Crab cakes..... but polenta based. Make the polenta, let it cool. Mix with your usual crab cake ingredients and the polenta, whatever they may be, and work in the crab with your hands, and then I decadently fry them in duck fat, and they are marvy.

My mix is mascarpone, cayenne, chives, shallot, lemon juice, parsley, and a beaten egg for binder since it can be a bit loose without it. Make the mix/crab ratio your own.

#9 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

I know it's not really baking, but I have a great thought for another gluten free alternative recipe- Crab cakes..... but polenta based. Make the polenta, let it cool. Mix with your usual crab cake ingredients and the polenta, whatever they may be, and work in the crab with your hands, and then I decadently fry them in duck fat, and they are marvy.

This would be good, and I also had the thought that left-over risotto could be employed thusly... maybe for shrimp cakes too.
Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer

#10 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

This would be good, and I also had the thought that left-over risotto could be employed thusly... maybe for shrimp cakes too.

Oooh! You could make fried stuffed rice balls, but instead of stuffing them with cheese- stuff them with crab.... I love the idea of leftover risotto, imagine a saffron or lemon risotto, and use the leftovers for crabcakes? I'm really getting excited to try this now. And not tell my guests what's inside, just let them bite in and yay!