67 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:39 AM

First meal was at Bluestem. Excellent, I did the chef's tasting and had some extra dessert courses added. The service was attentive without being overbearing. And considering I was a solo diner, I did not feel neglected or relegated to the worst table in the room or rushed. In fact, it was about 3 hours for all the courses. I didn't do the wine match, the streets were a bit icey and it is not my regular town.

Breakfast the next morning was at the Blue Bird Bistro. A bit dissappointing, although I can understand why it is liked, great atmosphere. Anyway, the potatos were almost cold, the biscuit was cold and not good, the buffalo sausage was just 2 bison patties with very little detectable seasoning. The coffee was excellent.

Lunch was at Cafe Sebastian at the Kemper Museum. I had the spinach salad, it had very good flavor but was a bit overdressed. My lunch companion had the ravioli special and that was pretty good.

Dinner was at Jun's on Stateline. Very good rolls, they even fixed me a special reqauest with no problem. I really got into the octapus salad. The atmosphere at the sushi bar was fun with genial banter with the sushi chefs making for a fun evening.

Breakfast was at Room 39. I was going to try a Mexican place in Overland Park but got sidetracked.

Lunch was pick up some sandwiches from the sandwich bar at Dean and Deluca for the drive home. I especially liked the Italian hero with roasted red peppers instead of tomatos, otherwise fully dressed.

Can't wait for my next trip up for the Cirque de Soleil's Delirium performance in March. I am thinking of going back to Blue Koi, is it still good? I will pass on Circe, I wasn't impressed the last time I went there. I am also thinking about 1924 Main for one meal. Is there anyplace that I should not miss that I know have not heard about yet?

edited to add that Iforgot about the late night pizza from Spin in some center on 119th in OP. That was a delicious pizza. nice thin crust, I ordered a white pizza with potatos and goat cheese. I will go back there for my late night pizza fix.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:04 PM

my my, you sure made good time (and eating) in that short amount of time! i'm assuming you're not a k.c. native/resident. regardless, sounds like you had a great go! :rolleyes: envious!

i'm headed to the kemper myself here pretty shortly!
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#3 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

No, I am not a local. KC is a weekend getaway for me. And I enjoy dining out. I will be back up in March for the Cirque preformance and Tonic is on my new list. I get up that way about 3 or 4 times a year. Another trip up will be Open Studio weekend.

#4 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:17 PM

Just popping in to say that we just returned from KCMO, where we had a delightful dinner at Korma Sutra (the Westport location). Outstanding service and very good food.
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#5 eastvillageeater

eastvillageeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:42 PM

Just popping in to say that we just returned from KCMO, where we had a delightful dinner at Korma Sutra (the Westport location). Outstanding service and very good food.

Korma Sutra is fantastic!
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#6 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

I had my second great meal at Cafe Sebastienne at the Kemper Museum this past weekend. The atmosphere is a bit odd and the chairs terribly uncomfortable, but the food and service was impressive. You can see my meal on my flickr account.

u.e.
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#7 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

I have heard that 40 Sardines is excellent.

#8 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

depending on what you're looking for out of a restaurant/eating experience, 40 sardines can be excellent.

u.e.

the ulterior epicure

#9 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

I have been in KC for about 24 hours. I had a late dinner last night at Le Fou Frog, there was a nice white gazpacho (or ajo blanco) to start followed by seared scallops with a nice risotto, haricot verts, cherry tomatos, and two very delicious butter sauces. If your into variety meats, this is the place to go, I noticed one of the entrees was veal brains. A couple of steps beyond sweetbreads. My other choice was a monkfish wellington in case the scallops were not what I was hoping for.

Then this morning for breakfast, I wandered around the east side of KCK, down by the industrial district looking for something different. When I didn't find a Mexican place serving breakfast, I went with Wolfe'es, nice omelette. A very traditional working mans diner sort of place. I wonder if they do a Chicken Fried Steak at lunch? humm.

Then it was off to the City Market. The paper said they were celebrating the Tomato Festival. Once again, I left this market dissappointed. There were NO heirloom tomatoes to be seen anywhere. The extension office was giving away taste of pico de gallo. Not very interesting. The Amish farmers and the Asian farmers seemed to be the only ones growing real vegetables. Otherwise the produce was coming from the produce houses, meaing from somewhere else. I don't think I will waste any more time with this market. After that it was off to the museums.

After spending a lot of time walking around the museums (Kemper, Nelson-Atkins, and the new Bloch) I decided to drive to a part of town I had never been to and try to find lunch. Boy was I lucky. I ended up at Aixois located at 5osomething and a large boulevard. Nice little french neighborhood place. I ordered the gazpacho (tomato this time) and the croque madame. Both choices were very good, worth going back again. So I now know 2 french restaurants in KCMO. That is good. And they are both good. I was at the tale end of lunch getting to Aixois and the service was friendly and efficient the entire time of my stay.

Tonight I am off to Bluestem, my favorite place, to meet some friends. I guess I should save myself instead of hitting one of these little taco stands, oh wait, I saw a palateria down on Shawnee this morning, I think I will go get some fruit juice. Yeah.
That way I do not abuse my appetite for tonight.

later gaters

#10 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

Bluestem report, just too good, almost enough to make me want to move to KCMO, or KCK either one. OP not so much.

We ended up sitting in the wine lounge section just having a great time, you should of been there, really. The wine was flowing, Solitare chardonnay, the cab, i didn't catch the name of that one. The Moules Frites was excellent served with a flight of dipping sauces for the frites. My favorite was the spicy aioli, more frites, a charcuterie board of italian hams - yum. Then we ordered an almost dinner of waygu beef tartar, I was tempted to order a second, but not wanting to embaress anyone, I held off, damit.

This morning, I had breakfast at Sparks in Brookside, it has lots of great reviews. I thought it was only okay, nothing really inspired or interesting. Oh well, back to Room 39.

Signing off so I can get ready for my trip to Shreveport and New Orleans.

#11 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(joiei @ Jul 8 2007, 09:15 PM) View Post
Bluestem report, just too good, almost enough to make me want to move to KCMO, or KCK either one. OP not so much.
Sure, come join us. We are always ISO a hearty appetite.

the ulterior epicure

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

Bluestem has an unusually attractive website. The menu reads well.

Website

Fish
Day Boat Mahi Mahi , Fregola Sarda, Saffron, Linguica Emulsion
Tasmanian King Salmon , Braised Sweet Onions, Thane’s Potatoes, Aromatic Vinaigrette
Day Boat Maine Scallop, Summer Corn, Bacon, Chanterelles, Summer Squash

Meat
Roast Campo Lindo Hen, Anson Mills Grits, Oyster Mushroom, Natural Jus
Kurobuta Pork, Garlic Green Beans, Broccoli, Cippolini Onions, Plum Sauce
Wagyu Striploin, Smoked Potato Puree, Tomato Jam, Maytag Fritter, Mustard Jus

Bluestem menu

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#13 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

I am back up to Kansas City and I have to insert this little ditty now by Rogers and Hammerstein -

I went to Kansas City on a Friday
By Saturday I learned a thing or two
But up 'till then I didn't have an idea
Of what the mod'rn world was comin' to.
I counted twenty gas buggies goin' by theirselves
Almost every time I took a walk
An' then I put my ear to a bell telephone
An' a strange woman started into talk.
What next! What next?

Everything's up to date in Kansas City
They gone about as fer as they can go
They went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high
About as high as a buildin' orta grow.
Everything's like a dream in Kansas City
It's better than a magic lantern show.
You can turn the radiator on whenever you want some heat
With every kind of comfort every house is all complete.
You could walk the privees in the rain and never wet your feet!
They've gone about as fer as they can go.
They've gone about as fer as they can go!

Everything's up to date in Kansas City
They've gone about as fer as they can go
They got a big theatre they call a burleque
For fifty cents you could see a dandy show!
One of the gals is fat and pink and pretty
As round above as she was round below
I could swear that she was padded from her shoulder to her heel
But then she started dancin' and her dancin' made me feel
That every single thing she had was absolutely real!
She went about as fer as she could go
Yes, Sir! She went about as fer as she could go!

Enough silliness.

Dinner last night was at The Delaware Cafe and Chef Joe is rocking that neighborhood. I highly recommend the Graham Cracker crusted chocolate cake, vietnamese cinnamon marshmallow and hickory smoked ice cream. I also loved the scallops and the duck and the charcuterie plate.

First lunch today was at Michael Smith's, I had the roasted beet salad which was spot on delicious, the crab salad with gazpacho the soup was excellent, the crab sandwich needs work, like a different bread.

Second lunch was at Taste in old downtown Overland Park (or in the OP). This place is well worth seeking out. At lunch you can pick three tapas for one plate. What I did, sort of create your own lunch and loved it.

Now i am going to take a little nap and then decide where dinner will be. Maybe I should look for something up in the north.

On friday, at least one lunch will happen at Burger Blanc and Bottles, second lunch is still open and so is dinner.

Saturday will be taken up with judging at the American Royal BBQ competition. This year I am only judging the Invitational meats (chicken, ribs, pork, brisket), the open foods (vegetables, baked beans and potatos) and desserts on Saturday.

Sunday will involve a brunch somewhere, my guess right now is at Bluestem (love that place). Then a stop at Dean and Deluca before heading on home. Thank goodness for XM on my new ride, parts of southeastern Kansas can get pretty boring to ride through.

#14 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Keep reporting--I get there in 2 weeks!! smile.gif
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#15 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:31 AM

Instead of going out for dinner I opted to stay in and make a dinner of some cheese i had picked up at Whole foods and a loaf of ciabiatta I had picked up earlier during the day at Fervere bread bakery up just off 17th next to the Bluebird Bistro, OH now I know where breakfast tomorrow is. Anyway the bread from Fervere is always amazing. The Cheese slip is sooo cheesey goodness and the orchard loaf is just packed with dried fruits and nuts. I have yet to find a loaf that I can't just dig into all by itself. And the olive rosemary, mm,mm,mm,mm,mm. They are only open limited days so plan accordingly.