67 replies to this topic

#16 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:55 AM

I better starve myself for the next 2 weeks. I can already see the loaves of bread on my thighs.
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#17 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

Will you be posting about the Royal in this thread?

The Voice of America

#18 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ Oct 3 2008, 07:34 AM) View Post
Will you be posting about the Royal in this thread?
Only if I eat at an open to the public restaurant. Otherwise those comments will go into a thread about judging at the Royal. You have to wait and find out. Hi Jaymes, hope things are good for you down in Houston. Is life starting to return to some normalcy or is it still all messed up down there? There is a total lack of any news from that region. Speaking of judging, I hope you get yourself in on the judging of the bbq at the big Houston Rodeo event.

Back to things at hand, first lunch is scheduled to be Blanc Burgers and Bottles.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#19 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:58 PM

Too much to catch up on, I will probably forget something. I will give it a try.

First lunch - Blanc Burgers and Bottles, Put this place on your list and go soon. I had the "inside out" burger, stuffed with blue cheese, and loved loved loved it. The onion rings were excellent, crispy and moist and yummy. The Adult milkshakes had to be tried. I went for the "cream brulee" milkshake, dude, that was awesome. Check their website for ingredients. I sat at the bar and had great service and when the bartender realized I was a chef it was even better.

Second lunch - Back to Delaware Cafe to check out that part of the program. What I really wanted was not available. I wanted the asparagus with proscuitto but they were out of asparagus and I wanted the pommes frites off the evening bar menu but that was not available during lunch so I opted for the muffalata. It was an interesting take on something that I loved living in New Orleans. And they have Fat Tire on tap.

Dinner - I made the trek down to the south side of Johnson County (Leawood) to check out Mandarinism. Nice meal, I had an interesting talk with the owner, nice guy. We talked about having to educate your clientele to what your doing and not caving in to the super buffet cheapies. I will definitely go back there on another visit up this way.

Today was all about the American Royal, check out that thread for the details. I plan on taking a little nap and then doing a late dinner at Le Fou Frog of the charcuterie plate and we will see. Maybe a soup depending on what they have tonight.

#20 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

So, is there anything new in KC that I should try? I'm heading there tomorrow. To do some house hunting. smile.gif
Deb

#21 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Maison Rustique @ Feb 17 2009, 03:43 PM) View Post
So, is there anything new in KC that I should try? I'm heading there tomorrow. To do some house hunting. smile.gif

Not much new and noteworthy here, with the exception of:

1. extra virgin. If you get there before 7 p.m., about 1/3 of the menu is half off.

2. Cafe Europa.

3. n.b.: Delaware Cafe, which was much celebrated in posts above, has closed.

Have fun. Report back!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#22 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:27 PM

I started today going to see the Andy Warhol exhibit at Union Station. All of the pieces in the show came from the private holdings of Bank of America. There were more pieces that I had never seen before than I expected. I loved the Muhammed Ali series, the Vesuvio Volcano series, the American Pop Culture series and most especially the Endangered Species series. The Keith Haring series was new to me.

After being visually impressed by the collection I then wandered across the tracks (literally) to Lidia's. I went for the Weekend Market Brunch. Boy was that ever worth it. You start with a basket of beautiful and delicious breads and breakfast pastries, my favorite was the grape foccacia and this one little sweet bread almost like a crunchy coffee cake I guess. Then for the first course you go to the antipasta buffet, sliced meats, salami and mortdella, marinated olives, ceasar salad, arugula salad with sliced tenderloin, a fresh fruit salad that had sliced plums, grapes and peeled apple slices and a cabbage and white bean soup. I know I missed something. Then you choose your second course from several listed on the menu. I went with the Frico, crisp cheese pancakes (sort of) filled with potatos, bacon and soft cooked eggs and topped with a nice baby greens salad. I didn't finish this dish because I has already seen the dessert table. Several bite sized desserts including panna cotta with fresh cranberry sauce, caramel nut bars, assorted cookies and tiramisu.

The price was $24. Worth much more. There was nothing I tasted that I didn't like. I now have an alternative to Bluestems brunch. Thanks to u.e. for the heads up on this gem.

#23 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(joiei @ Oct 10 2009, 10:27 PM) View Post
I started today going to see the Andy Warhol exhibit at Union Station. All of the pieces in the show came from the private holdings of Bank of America. There were more pieces that I had never seen before than I expected. I loved the Muhammed Ali series, the Vesuvio Volcano series, the American Pop Culture series and most especially the Endangered Species series. The Keith Haring series was new to me.

After being visually impressed by the collection I then wandered across the tracks (literally) to Lidia's. I went for the Weekend Market Brunch. Boy was that ever worth it. You start with a basket of beautiful and delicious breads and breakfast pastries, my favorite was the grape foccacia and this one little sweet bread almost like a crunchy coffee cake I guess. Then for the first course you go to the antipasta buffet, sliced meats, salami and mortdella, marinated olives, ceasar salad, arugula salad with sliced tenderloin, a fresh fruit salad that had sliced plums, grapes and peeled apple slices and a cabbage and white bean soup. I know I missed something. Then you choose your second course from several listed on the menu. I went with the Frico, crisp cheese pancakes (sort of) filled with potatos, bacon and soft cooked eggs and topped with a nice baby greens salad. I didn't finish this dish because I has already seen the dessert table. Several bite sized desserts including panna cotta with fresh cranberry sauce, caramel nut bars, assorted cookies and tiramisu.

The price was $24. Worth much more. There was nothing I tasted that I didn't like. I now have an alternative to Bluestems brunch. Thanks to u.e. for the heads up on this gem.

Glad you enjoyed Lidia's. That brunch is a pretty fantastic deal - no? I told you - you can seriously walk out of there hurting.
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#24 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:25 AM

Had lunch at Westside Local. Very good burger that I shared with moosnsqrl. I liked the garlic fries. And loved the roasted brussel sprouts. Had dinner tonight at Zest. I was recommended by my friends at Black Bamboo. I liked the roasted apple and beet salad and enjoyed the fish and chips. Nice casual atmosphere.

#25 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

I'm headed to the KC area next week for one night. Staying in Overland Park but I'll have a car.

Is it laughable to think of anything other than barbecue for my first KC dining experience? Is there anything decent out in that part of suburbia?
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#26 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

I don't think it laughable at all to not have BBQ. And though I'm still rather new here and that area isn't my backyard, it seems to me that you'll be near some of the better places that I hear about. I'm sure someone who's been around here longer can come up with a good list, but I'll work on one and come back later to post it.
Deb

#27 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Don't know where you are in relation to the two Stroud's locations, but I still dream about their fried chicken.

Locals, please don't tell me that they terrible now. unsure.gif I do worry, since Zagat seems to love them. unsure.gif

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#28 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

As it so happens... CLICK.

the ulterior epicure

#29 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

ue: you realize, of course, that you have just added one piece to the puzzle of "Who is the Ulterior Epicure?"

And we thank you for that: I have bookmarked your link above, should I ever find myself in the area. smile.gif

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:14 AM

He's Calvin Trillin. I thought everybody knew that.
Bar Loser

MF Old