39 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:29 PM

I really miss the French Butcher on Second Avenue at this time of year, because his home-made foie gras mi cuit was as good as any I've had: sold in little crock pots, streaked with golden fat, and preserving the texture of the livers while still being smooth and velvety.

Any great sources in New York, or do I just have to buy some vaccuum packed stuff by D'Artagnan or similar?

Feel free to discuss foie gras in any location on this thread. I am very globally minded. :D
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 pete ganz

pete ganz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:07 AM

Well, speaking of D'Artagnan, has anyone tried their French Kisses? I was thinking of getting some for New Year's.

#3 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:19 AM

Well, speaking of D'Artagnan, has anyone tried their French Kisses? I was thinking of getting some for New Year's.

Thanks for the temptation, but I'll wait for Hollywood or Mongo on this one, thank you very much indeed.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:24 PM

Uhhhh . . . yes. I kind of like them: Armagnac-soaked prunes filled with foie gras mousse. Only one note in the texture (soft), but boozy, and far too much trouble to make on my own. And I'm sure they are a BIG margin item for D'A :D

Wilf -- doesn't a stand in Grand Central Market carry foie? The one near the Lexington Ave doors on the south side of the hall? Or is theirs also from D'A?

And I'll bet one of the Hungarian meat markets would have it. What's the one on the UES that we've talked about?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

I really miss the French Butcher on Second Avenue at this time of year, because his home-made foie gras mi cuit was as good as any I've had: sold in little crock pots, streaked with golden fat, and preserving the texture of the livers while still being smooth and velvety.

Drool. :D
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

Uhhhh . . . yes. I kind of like them: Armagnac-soaked prunes filled with foie gras mousse. Only one note in the texture (soft), but boozy, and far too much trouble to make on my own. And I'm sure they are a BIG margin item for D'A :D

Wilf -- doesn't a stand in Grand Central Market carry foie? The one near the Lexington Ave doors on the south side of the hall? Or is theirs also from D'A?

And I'll bet one of the Hungarian meat markets would have it. What's the one on the UES that we've talked about?

Yes, the Hungarian market does carry "goose liver" but I've never checked it out.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

Now I'm seriously craving some foie. Anyone tried the Degustation de Foie Gras Maison at Gascogne? Three foie terrines--sauternes, prune, armagnac.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#8 winesonoma

winesonoma

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

Fresh Foie Junny (707) 938-1229. Sonoma Foie Gras. :D
Bruce
Quality control Taster, Ch√Ęteau D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"
Moscow is building a monument to processed cheese.

#9 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

I found them to be unpleasant, but then I don't like prunes...

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:44 PM

I should think so. Most of their stuff is from D'Artagnan.

I just don't recall where I've seen alternatives to that.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#11 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:56 PM

I've been known to make a pig of myself with the French Kisses.

#12 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:55 AM

Any great sources in New York, or do I just have to buy some vaccuum packed stuff by D'Artagnan or similar?

Feel free to discuss foie gras in any location on this thread. I am very globally minded. :rolleyes:

You may combine my solitary post with this thread. No one answered me anyway.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#13 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:04 AM

I did so. I said Fauchon.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

But were you telling the truth? All I've ever seen in Fauchon is a lot of tea and jam and mustard. Do they really have meat-type comestibles?
Elect-a-lujah

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:57 PM

Yes. And I even posted the link.

http://www.fauchon.c...pecialties.html

Not a lobe, though.