93 replies to this topic

#1 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

Gotham has always been one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. The space is beautiful and I never had a bad anything. Last night I went there and sat at the bar and got some dessert.

I wasnt all that impressed with the selection this time, not to say they werent good, but none were really really crazy sounding so to speak,I guess I m just too used to Chikalicious:)

anyways, i chose the pineapple financier with brown sugar icecream and pineapple semifreddo. It was wonderful. I love the creamy texture of the icecream with the roasted pineapple and warm financier. It was presented beautifull of course, with a cookie tuile "thing" on top and some pineapple sauce swirled on the plate.

I have to go back for a full dinner soon, but with all these other pricey ones coming up, it wont be for a while!
"One can live without artists, and can live without books

but civilized man can not live without cooks," anonymous

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:24 PM

Gotham has always been one of my favorite restaurants in NYC.

:o
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:41 PM

Ditto Orik's post.

Although that's a :o to myself too, for Gotham used to be a restaurant I liked (even as recently as December 31, 1999, when I chose it as my first choice for the Millenium Eve dinner, and was told at the last minute by the restaurant that they couldn't honor my reservation as they would not be open; no compensation to me; also :o that I then chose Chanterelle)

#4 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 02:52 AM

I have a soft spot for the Gotham as it was one of the first Manhattan restaurants I came to on business.

The food was good and I have always been a sucker for tall food.

The last good meal I had there was in 1998 when six of us had a birthday dinner for a girlfriend of mine. The food was good and the sommelier chose some great reasonable wines.

Last time I went was about 3 years ago. Things had declined and the room looked shabby.

I have not had call to go back for ages, but I still have good memories of some great nights

S

#5 pixelchef

pixelchef

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:05 AM

I admire Alfred Portale. Though his food may not be spectacular by NYC standards, I've always understood him to be a very competent chef. His books are well-written as well. His media appearances have also always impressed me with down-to-hearth, speak-to-the-tummy food -- which we all crave sometimes. I equate him to someone like Scott Bryan, or maybe Wayne Nish.

I too have always felt the room was quite lovely.

#6 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:35 AM

The decor has gotten kitchier. More pinks, relative to the white themes that used to exist, unless I recall incorrectly. <_<

#7 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:59 AM

We've not been in a couple of years following several mediocre meals. But it certainly used to be very good. It was one of our favorites 1989 (I guess) to mid-1990s. I agree with Pixelchef, Portale's cookery books are very good indeed.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#8 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:09 AM

Once good, but way way over the hill. The food, including the once definitive seafood salad, is very tired, and lacks sparkle.

#9 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:11 AM

lacks sparkle.

What places in NY have sparkle, currently, then? <_<

#10 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:31 AM

We went last Fall.

After having to wait for our reserved table and eating food soooo hot it must have sat under a furnace pass or been nuked, I'd have to say I have no desire whatsoever to go back.
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#11 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:47 PM

lacks sparkle.

What places in NY have sparkle, currently, then? <_<

Sparkle is in the eye of the beholder. ;)
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#12 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

GB&G was one of my first "nice" NY restaurants when I moved here for college 6 years ago. I still remember entering Gotham and it was decorated for the holidays and it just looked so NY to me. I always will remember my first slice of flourless chocolate cake- I still think that they make the best one, and i love their $20 lunches, i ve taken quite a few friends there. My last meal there was this past february and though it wasnt as amazing as my last dinner 3 years ago, it was still very good. I would still go back.
"One can live without artists, and can live without books

but civilized man can not live without cooks," anonymous

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 06:42 PM

i love their $20 lunches, i ve taken quite a few friends there. My last meal there was this past february and though it wasnt as amazing as my last dinner 3 years ago, it was still very good. I would still go back.

I did some digging and found my notes from a 1998 visit. We went to GB&G planning to try the $20 lunch, but since choices for the main course were limited to bowtie pasta with peas and to a chicken breast dish, ended up ordering from the regular menu. I don't have a list of the dishes we had, but I can recall a particularly flavorless plate of muscovy duck breast and I noted that none of the dishes we had could be described as good.

The total came to about $75/pp before tip, with one bottle of a nice Cal. Zinfandel for three. Fortunately, this was the only poor meal on that trip (Nobu, Union Pacific and Peter Luger were all very good back then) and meeting our friend who suggested it more than compensated for the food.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#14 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,351 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:49 AM

Has anyone been here recently? I've been invited to lunch there next week and I'm wondering what I should expect.
Future Legacy Participant.

#15 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

a late bite at the bar earlier this week. like many, i used to like it a lot (mid-90s) but over time it lost that sparkle - although it's still a great bar to eat at. save for a lovely xmas lunch maybe 7 years ago, i haven't had a full meal in the restaurant - just a couple of light bites. haven't been in years and i really looked forward to going back. mid-week, it was pretty full at 8:30, although there were few tables available.

the menu did not strike me as particularly new (although i didn't notice the vertical presentations they were so known for 15 years ago - it's all ratehr flat now) but the prices did give me a pause - most apps are in the 20s and entrees ranged from $36 to 45.

Nantucket Bay Scallop Crudo avocado tamarind and jicama lime virgin olive oil - beautiful scallops, lovely texture marred by aggressive overuse of lime. the avocado might have balanced it, were it mixed with other ingredients rather than piped around the plate as a frame. perhaps it

Seared Scallops with sea urchin, cauliflower and caviar sauce - iirc (the dish is not on the menu that's available on menupages, which btw, looks a little out of date) - good but not fabulous and the sea urchin had very little of that characteristic ocean flavor, no flavor to speak of, really. the dish was nicely done but no fireworks for me. that flavorless sea urchin took the sparks out of it.

as usual, the service was excellent (i've never had anything less there). generous wine pours but not a thrilling by the glass selection. no riesling? (esp. since plenty of riesling on the wine list) wish they had more half-bottles of white under $100. there may have been one or two at $80-95

the lunch prix fixe is now $27 acc. to menupages. it doesn't look like it's changes much since it was $20 - salad or soup to start, lamb pappardelle or cod and choc cake or sorbet to finish.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.