133 replies to this topic

#31 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

wasn't there something on a SATC episode - like wearing a scrunchie or something - def. not from around here laugh.gif
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#32 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

I said:
The crowd the night I dined was heavily tourist...

This was true also of Bar Americain and Mesa Grill, last time I dined at those restaurants.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

I'll never forget that time last year when the host at Insieme, its kitchen closed an hour before its website advertised, told me that I could instead go around the corner to "BOBBY FLAY'S Bar Americain!"

DEFINITELY catering to the local crowd.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Jun 18 2008, 05:33 PM) View Post
women? absofricking lutely.

if, in 2008, she's wearing Uggs....she aint from Manhattan.

Manhattan is an awfully big place, and it includes a lot of neighborhoods I'll bet you haven't visited lately. In any case, where is it written that everyone in Manhattan that's not from Manhattan is a tourist?
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#35 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

Bar Americain.

Come on; reality check.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

(I was being sarcastic, if that somehow wasn't apparent.)

(In fact, the reason I was so pissed off by that is that I was offended by the host's obvious assumption that because I was trying to eat dinner in the theater district I was a stupid tourist who doesn't know anything about food in New York.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,442 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:31 PM

I had lunch at Gotham today - because it's across the street from where I work, it's a popular place for nicer lunches. The dining room was packed at 1:15. And while I think it's a nice space, the tables are packed tightly and I found it difficult to hear the person sitting opposite me (we were six, sitting at a round). I started with the corn soup, which was drizzled with some truffle oil and had a chiffonade of basil. I didn't particularly like the truffle oil - it gave the soup an odd funky taste. For the main I ordered the black cod - I've ordered this dish before and although I like the preparation of the fish, the vegetables (this time shiitake and broccoli rabe) were drenched in a soy based liquid which was very salty. I can't say this place is my favorite (I prefer walking the 6 blocks up to Devi for nicer luncher) rather it's adequate.
Future Legacy Participant.

#38 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

I was taken to dinner here last week, and thanks in great part to feedback from the Pink Pig I had a nice meal. The octopus and lobster were both very good, and the lobster as described was cooked perfectly so it was tender and not the least bit chewy. My companion ordered the $70 steak which I tasted and while it was very good I'm not sure it was that good. A generous portion though (as I thought all the dishes were) and he took half of it away with him. Passion fruit cake was pretty good and we had a nice bottle of champagne from a small producer I am blanking on.

We did not have the weirdly formal service described by Wilfrid. The server was pleasant and relaxed, as was the sommelier. Very high staff to diner ratio in this place I thought. We had a great table, sort of tucked away in a corner near the back, from which I was able to observe most of the room. It was Thursday and the place was packed. The crowd appeared to be regulars, most of them in their 60s and 70s, large business groups (several tables of 6 to 8 made up predominantly of men), New Yorkers on dates, and roughly 50% tourists.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#39 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Portions are huge, aren't they?

Glad to be of assistance.
Elect-a-lujah

#40 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

Lunch today.

Special soup of the day was mushroom and it had a lovely, creamy, warm heat on a cold day.

Hawaiian blue prawn starter was pretty good too (though a little fruity for our tastes what with mango and papaya). Very big, nicely grilled prawns were the best bit, as one could no doubt anticipate.

G had duck breast with leg confit and sour cherry sauce. Oh gads....rank as hell. How it left the kitchen, I have no idea. Anyway we were recompensed by 2 drinks on the house and a chicken dish to replace it (which tasted mighty bland to me).

I had a roasted salmon dish that was cooked quite well as far as the fish was concerned but came with what appeared every vegetable under the sun.

Desserts were blah. 1. GB&G chocolate cake and 2. a goat's milk cheesecake that had ice-cream and odds and sods to accompany it that amounted to overload.

One Michelin star, eh? Well, if you stuck to soup and a salad you might be pleased.

Eta: What with Veterans' (does it not have an apostrophe?). Day tomorrow people are taking a long w/end we were told and the place was packed for lunch.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

Oh, Veterans Day, thanks for reminding me.
Elect-a-lujah

#42 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

With that idea that only a nice bit of fish will do, I ended up at Gotham after an unsuccessful visit to Rabbit in the Moon (don't bother).

This cod was fabulous.
MISO MARINATED BLACK COD
bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and sticky rice
soy lemongrass ginger sauce
$38

This soup maybe not crazy good, but, well, rather quite good.
CHILLED SWEET CORN SOUP
cilantro custard, lobster salad and shellfish emulsion
$19.

Nice to sit at the bar and be well taken care of too.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#43 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

They're offering their 80's menu at 80's prices o Sunday evenings through, I believe Labor Day.

details at http://www.gothambar...ontent/view/49/

#44 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

Some of those are real Portale Classics. I haven't been there in FOREVER...

#45 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

I will probably go on Sunday.