131 replies to this topic

#16 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:58 AM

I wouldn't hold myself out as an expert in this area, since I've only eaten at a couple places that would be considered of the genre. I do read about it and think about crazy food ideas.

See, I think if anything people should feel less trepidation about this kind of event than the normal one. When I bring something to the normal MF/eG shin-dig, I'm always worried that it's going to taste like crap, but hey, for this one it just has to be interesting! I think people get uncomfortable with the idea of not making taste the #1 priority.

Abra, I think you principals are on target and I would add that there seems to be an emphasis on contrasts in texture, flavors and temperatures. Probably letting the cat out of the bag, but here are some ideas I've had but haven't yet attempted to execute:

Lamb and fennel reversal:
Lamb cheeks sous vide with shaved raw fennel on one side of the plate and braised fennel with a seared rare lamb chop on the other side. Maybe pistachio ice cream in the middle.

Salmon cake and ice cream:
A layer cake built with dry smoked salmon with caper cream icing, lemon-dill ice cream and crispy salmon skin cookies.

Inside-out lasagne:
A large baked tomato filled with pasta and cheese plus some other stuff that I'm still thinking about.

These may all be completely hair-brained, but this is what my brain produces when I'm bored.... :rolleyes:
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#17 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

Vince, I love your ideas and they all sound delicious! We were just talking last night about how to achieve inside-out food. I think something sous-vide would be awesome. One of my NY food resolutions is to master sous-vide - the threads on eG are so inspiring.

#18 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

Those looking for inspiration should definitely watch Iron Chef America on Sunday. Wylie Dufresne (he of the smoked mashed potatoes and foie gras with anchovies) of WD-50 is the Challenger and I guarantee that the judges will absolutely hate one or two of the things he does.

#19 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Smoked mashed potatoes and foie with anchovies actually sound pretty good to me. Oh no, am I a closet avant-gardette?

#20 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hey gang, I just got an invitation for Chinese New Year's on Jan 28, so that leaves the 27th and 29th. Haven't been hearing from a lot of taker-uppers, here... Who's in?

Steve
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#21 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hey,

I am. I think it will be interesting to see what we come up with. Hmmmm, the inside out lasagna idea has me thinking. Pick a date Steve and I'll be there.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#22 seawakim

seawakim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

Would love to join but can only make it on 1/29. Let us know :rolleyes:

#23 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:59 AM

We are, but you knew that. The 29th is fine with us.

#24 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:03 AM

If the weekend in question doesn't work out, I'd be in in february or march.

I think this is a fab idea, and am really looking forward to the reports...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#25 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Just catching up on posts (thanks Abra for steering me towards this one) and this sounds interesting, my main thing is the original stuff. I'm not so good at coming up with original dishes but have lots of recipes for avant garde things that I've made before or am wanting to try but don't always have the right audience at home. So tell me, it must be an original dish??

Not sure of our schedule for the 29th but will check with the Mr.

"allez cuisine!"
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#26 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:59 PM

So tell me, it must be an original dish??

Well, I was planning to hook everyone up to a lie-detector and interrogate them about the originality of their offering, but I suppose I could pursuaded to skip that....

#27 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:32 AM

fuggettaboutit! dayne and I have been brainstorming like crazy and have quite a few avant garde ideas! some may be original, others may be adapted but WE ARE IN!

we're going to take a few ideas for a practice run next week and then we'll sign up for our courses, at this point I think we are in for one amuse bouche, a savory main and a dessert!

:rolleyes:
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#28 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:35 AM

Wendy, you're doing THREE courses? We have a dessert idea too, and have been toying with other courses ideas. What course is everybody else thinking of?

Steve, just tell me to shut up if you need to, but how about if we just announce our course and not tell what dish we're making, to heighten the amazement factor and give up plenty of time to dream up our offerings?

#29 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

>Steve, just tell me to shut up if you need to, but how about if we just announce
>our course and not tell what dish we're making, to heighten the amazement factor and give
>up plenty of time to dream up our offerings?

Hey fine by me, but let's make it optional. Tell or don't tell, at the creator's discretion. Me, I'm one of those who tends to wear his gravy on his sleeve. (More often than I care to admit...)

Steve

#30 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hey all:

It looks like Sunday the 29th it is! Here's who's (maybe) in at this point. Let me know where you're at because I'm thinking of doing a cutoff--we're right at the edge of or just past what my table will hold....

Wendy and Dane
Abra and Shel
Pat and Vince (??)
Moi
Rocky (and Danni ?)
Connie (?) (and Dance?)
Lauren (?) and (and Paul?)
Kim and Dave ?

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear, btw, that I just ordered a new dining room table that should hold 14 handily, with plenty of room in the center for FOOD. Should be here in a couple of months.

Oh and Abra, not to worry at all. I'll happily tell you to shut up if I get the urge. <g>

Steve

Edited to remove the gratuitous second "L" in "happilly."