5004 replies to this topic

#4996 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:13 AM

The first volume of Roth's Mercy of a Rude Stream, on the other hand, is really good. I read it in one sitting. Admittedly on a plane, but I could have broken off and read something else.

I've kind of been afraid to read that, since obviously I have a lot invested in Roth, on an extra-literary level. I'm glad to receive confirmation that it's good. I guess I'd better get to it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4997 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

I don't think you'll regret it. It picks up where Call it Sleep finishes, but introduces an entirely different perspective.

Reluctant to say more without getting further into it. Have other volumes lined up for some upcoming travel.

The books are already so neglected that nice used editions are easy to pick up (Strand or online).

#4998 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

Donald Davidson, Truth and Predication published just after his death. I hadn't realized some of his views, especially on truth, had evolved so much: with the effect, if not the conscious intention, of bringing them closer to mine.

Also re-reading Dummett and Strawson. Concerned this might be a final fling by my brain cells.

#4999 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

The Price of Illusion,by Joan Juliet Buck...yes,i know that the whirlwind fashionista stuff can get tiring, but I've always liked her writing, and the story, and ultimately ,her perspective makes it a good read.

G*d is in the details...

#5000 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

I've been thinking about reading this, if only because I'm intensely curious how an American became editor of Vogue Paris [yes, I realise Condé Nast is an American company]— and she was features editor at British Vogue only a few years after dropping out of Sarah Lawrence.  [I should probably admit here I used to read both magazines regularly during Buck's reign at the former.]

#5001 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

The second volume of the Roth tetralogy is terrific too (A Diving Rock in the Hudson).  I'm worried about the last two volumes, because it's well-known that he changed stuff due to legal pressures from his sister.

And now I'm reading A Walk on the Wild Side, Algren.

#5002 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

Third volume of Roth, just glorious. Despite the dark personal themes, there are passages so funny I was laughing immoderately on an airplane.

After volume 4, there's still his last novel, An American Type. It continues the story, with the same characters: but I understand it's the edited version of a mss at least as long as the tetralogy. Posthumously, not edited by Roth. Wish we could get everything into print--this is not a minor writer.

Reminds me of the experience of visiting the Clyfford Still museum in Denver, where you can look through windows at the rooms storing countless canvases which have still never been shown in public.

#5003 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:17 AM

It's so great that he stayed great up until (or near) the end.

It's especially great because the later novels seem like they come from a whole different era than Call It Sleep.  It's like he was great in two wholly different periods.

I can't wait to read this stuff.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5004 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

Yes, the style is so dramatically different; yet still mining the same material.

#5005 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:11 AM

I am reconciled to schlepping back to west coast again by the chance to read the fourth Roth book in one or two sittings.

And the good news is that I can continue traveling having found that further, last novel--and a biography.