5284 replies to this topic

#5281 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:22 PM

Ah...Dudley Moore, such a talent and so maligned during the early stages of a horrific condition, progressive supranuclear palsy. This fatal
brain disease mimics drunken slurring and staggering. It is a terrible disease, like ALS that can last 15 years of increasing incapacitation.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5282 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

Aristotle was a fun read.

Also read an Aldous Huxley essay, Words and Their Meanings in the form of a tiny little hardcover, because RIT had a sale and they had a nice limited-edition reprint. Nothing profound, but... a nicely printed book, at least.

Starting on My Years with General Motors now, for some reason.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#5283 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:23 AM

Is that Aristotle or Huxley? :D

Never found the former fun, important though he is.

#5284 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

Ah...Dudley Moore, such a talent and so maligned during the early stages of a horrific condition, progressive supranuclear palsy. This fatal
brain disease mimics drunken slurring and staggering. It is a terrible disease, like ALS that can last 15 years of increasing incapacitation.

And Peter Cook maligned for his authentic drunkenness. Remarkable talents, both of them. It’s very sad that the BBC lost most of the TV series they did together, Not Only, But Also.

#5285 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

Lorine Niedecker, collected writings. Closely involved with Zukofsky and Williams, she never left her home on an island outside Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin.  From the short, highly condensed early verses, through to longer late masterpieces like "Paean to Place," is quite a journey.  She creates music from plain language and very brief statements. Like some painters, she tackles the same subjects repeatedly, with slight variations and refinements.

https://www.poetryfo.../paean-to-place