5361 replies to this topic

#5281 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:22 PM

Ah...Dudley Moore, such a talent and so maligned during the early stages of a horrific condition, progressive supranuclear palsy. This fatal
brain disease mimics drunken slurring and staggering. It is a terrible disease, like ALS that can last 15 years of increasing incapacitation.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5282 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

Aristotle was a fun read.

Also read an Aldous Huxley essay, Words and Their Meanings in the form of a tiny little hardcover, because RIT had a sale and they had a nice limited-edition reprint. Nothing profound, but... a nicely printed book, at least.

Starting on My Years with General Motors now, for some reason.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#5283 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:23 AM

Is that Aristotle or Huxley? :D

Never found the former fun, important though he is.

#5284 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

Ah...Dudley Moore, such a talent and so maligned during the early stages of a horrific condition, progressive supranuclear palsy. This fatal
brain disease mimics drunken slurring and staggering. It is a terrible disease, like ALS that can last 15 years of increasing incapacitation.

And Peter Cook maligned for his authentic drunkenness. Remarkable talents, both of them. It’s very sad that the BBC lost most of the TV series they did together, Not Only, But Also.

#5285 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

Lorine Niedecker, collected writings. Closely involved with Zukofsky and Williams, she never left her home on an island outside Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin.  From the short, highly condensed early verses, through to longer late masterpieces like "Paean to Place," is quite a journey.  She creates music from plain language and very brief statements. Like some painters, she tackles the same subjects repeatedly, with slight variations and refinements.

https://www.poetryfo.../paean-to-place

#5286 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

James Salter's memoir, Burning the Days. Almost as magnificent as his best fiction.

Immortal space traveler.

#5287 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:09 AM

Oh, good tip. Thanks.

#5288 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

Finally got round to it, and as I anticipated, I couldn't put down Sally Rooney's Normal People. One of the best stories I've ever read about Love in the Meritocracy. I'll probably launch a dedicated thread next week. Or perhaps in the spring, near its US publication date.

#5289 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:33 AM

Well, I ended up taking a break of a few months before finishing Brothers Karamazov. Had a pleasant afternoon reading Calvin Trillin's About Alice immediately afterward, though. Meant to read it years ago but it seemed like bad luck.

Finally working through the Nicomachean Ethics now. Oddly I'm finding Aristotle (in the revised Oxford translation from the complete works) rather more readable than Plato (from the Hackett complete works translation).

I think students read the Hackett Plato owing to its accuracy [for philosophical purposes], but I recall it being dreadfully dull. I generally choose Jowett when I want to -read- Plato.

#5290 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:38 AM

Read Plato in Latin and become engulfed within the circles of Hades.

#5291 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

I think students read the Hackett Plato owing to its accuracy [for philosophical purposes], but I recall it being dreadfully dull. I generally choose Jowett when I want to -read- Plato.

It wasn't that bad. I mean, if I really wanted to amuse myself, I'd read Bloom's translation of The Republic.

My tastes in philosophy are also really weird. I generally find analytic philosophy far more readable than almost anything else, which I understand puts me in an odd minority.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#5292 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

cornell and chicago university presses have both published a series of plato translations that are better and more literal than the hackett ones, if sometimes less fluid. the jowett translations are terrible and often include sentences that aren’t in the greek and make similar omissions.

I’d point to sach’s translations of aristotile.

lots and lots of heidegger can be cited in support of rich’s position.

eta: bloom’s would be the straussian recommended republic.

#5293 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

Reading the Idiot again... Something about the Russians.  They are irresistible. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#5294 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:10 PM

I am reading more analytic philosophy now than I did ten or twenty years ago. Much of it will appeal to minds with a mathematical bent. It’s possible to read Quine for pleasure; a distinctively American literary voice. I couldn’t now read Plato as literature.

#5295 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Filling in the gaps on Georges Bernanos. His early novel The Impostor is situated somewhere between Dostoevsky and Hubert Selby. A harrowing, visceral sense of evil.

The late Monsieur Ouine has been cited as a precursor of the nouveau roman. More specifically, I’d think it was written by Pinget if I picked it up blind. Bernanos well ahead of the game.