5329 replies to this topic

#5326 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,590 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:08 AM

I’m a bit manic about it. Which at least is not a terrible thing to be manic about.

#5327 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,590 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:35 AM

John Rechy, City of Night, which has been on my list for years. Not what I expected, but maybe I should have. It’s painfully literary; a self-taught young writer with the weight of great examples on his shoulders. Some pages so overblown, you can only cringe. The dialogue is better, but when he gets cranked up it’s like Thomas Wolfe without the vocabulary.

My impression, he took himself to school with Shakespeare, Dostoevsky and Faulkner, and perhaps missed the writers who would have shown him to handle his material: Algren, George Mandel, Chandler Brossard, John Clellon Holmes, even Kerouac. This book is a year ahead of Last Exit, and for all it’s cult status isn’t playing at that level.

Not that it’s a bad read, for goodness sake.

#5328 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,590 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

Prompted by the recent, somewhat one-sides debate between Slavoj Zizek and Jordan Peterson, I lost my Zizek virginity to The Parallax View, plausibly his most systematic statement.

I won’t touch the politics here. It’s a very engaging and entertaining book, if you have a tolerance for theory. Hilarious at times, although the overall purpose is serious. I was impressed by the sheer range of popular culture references he has at his finger-tips, and I liked the way he can call on cinema as easily as literature to support his points.

His command of thinkers I know well — Kant, Hegel, Heidegger — is impressive, so I assume he’s sound on Lacan and Badiou too. After decades of trying with Lacan, I still can’t manage even his basic concepts. Given that I can parse Derrida and Deleuze, I am not sure it’s my fault.

#5329 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,590 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

Complete switch, some British prole fiction next. John King, known for football novels (The Football Factory), also wrote Human Punk, the first half of which is set in, and steeped in, 1977. I pray it’s accurate (about to start).

#5330 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

picked up the newest David Means book, Instruction for a funeral..  He truly is a master of the short story, it may be his best book yet. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.