123 replies to this topic

#1 BCinBC

BCinBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is a hockey fan out there. Any bets on whether the views of this thread will reach double digits?

Anyway, I have been thinking about Sidney Crosby all season, probably not in the same way most have. Here are my thoughts:

1. The kid is obviously talented. But he is also obviously just a kid. Every night he seems to be trying really hard to make the point that he is tough enough to skate with the men, but somehow to me he comes across as the new guy who is trying way too hard to get everyone to like him.

2. Why did Pittsburgh give him the A? He is 18, and like someone on a recent broadcast said, who on the bench or in the dressing room is going to listen to what an 18 year old rookie has to say? The youngest player I can think of who got an A was Trevor Linden here in Vancouver, and that was in his 3rd year or so (I believe he was 20 or 21 at the time).

3. Which brings me to the point that I'm glad Team Canada left him off the Turin/Torino roster. He is going to be eligible for another 4 or so Olympics, so I'm glad they didn't pander to him.

4. I think Alex Ovechkin is the rookie of the year, hands down. That goal he scored last night, sliding on his back, facing opposite the goalie, one hand on his stick, putting it around the back of his head and in... Absolutely fracking amazing.

#2 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

I have been an ardent hockey fan for most of my life, but the combination of the strike, the lack of coverage on ESPN, and the downfall of my beloved St. Louis Blues has left me rather indifferent to the game. I hate to say that.

#3 BCinBC

BCinBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

It's funny, I was so determined not to give them the time of day after that strike - I mean, could the players have been more stupid? After years and years of a crap product, though, when they returned it was actually pretty exciting to watch.

The game has opened up so much (too much in my opinion), and with some tweaking next season I think they can put on a quality show that is balanced between exciting offensive displays and solid defence getting rewarded.

Yeah sorry about those Blues. A good friend of mine is living in St Louis, on the bright side he can get tickets to any game any time.

#4 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Hockey's been my favorite sport since I was a kid (remember the Oakland Seals?) but I'm only back to maybe 15% of where I was before the strike even though the game is much improved and the Sharks stole Joe Thornton from Boston.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#5 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hockey's my favorite sport. Since there was no NHL last season I just became more focused on the college game -- I even went to the ESPNzone to watch the NCAA tournament.

If we're home and the Islanders are playing the game will be on in the background (tonight - Blackhawks). Unfortunately, they've been awful this season. But the games have been exciting. Lots of puck movement. And I've seen some wonderful open ice hits. Plus, the shoot out is pretty fun to watch. Even I, a devout hater of the Rangers, was impressed by the Marek Malik goal.
Future Legacy Participant.

#6 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:49 AM

We started watching hockey when Bob's niece married a San Jose Shark. It's exciting when you know someone on the ice who's doing a helluva job. Then they traded him to Philadelphia...haven't seen a game all season. Hmmm, just looked, though, and they're doing well.

We love Mikey.
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#7 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:41 AM

Isles beat the 'Hawks 2-1 in OT. :wub: Now it's back to in-cconference play.
Future Legacy Participant.

#8 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:28 AM

love it, play when i can (ok, relatively occasionally)

only problem is they only show nhl after midnite here in uk... :wub: sooo need a Tivo... :(

J

#9 BCinBC

BCinBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

GrantK: The California Golden Seals, were they not? They along with KC kind of bit it when I was a tot. As for the Sharks, if they toned down the teal in the unis I could cheer for them more. I find them to be a perpetually young, exciting team.

Bloviatrix: Yes the Malik goal along with Ovechkin's the other night were probably the two highlight goals of the year. Malilk's just because he is a huge lanky defenceman who prior to that had not really shown any offensive spark, let alone hands like that.

Those Islanders, what can you do. They never recovered after 84. And talk about ugly unis! At least they came to their senses with the Capt Highliner phase.

Tana: Are you saying that Mike Rathje is an inlaw? That's cool. My best brush with NHL fame is spending an Xmas with Russ Courtnall when I was a kid (family friend's friend). Best brush with sports fame is going to high school with Steve Nash.

Jon: The fact that they even show NHL in the UK is amazing enough. You actually getting ice time is great too, as the number of rinks is obviously very low compared to here (in Canada). Is Marty McSorley still hanging around over there?

#10 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

GrantK: The California Golden Seals, were they not? They along with KC kind of bit it when I was a tot. As for the Sharks, if they toned down the teal in the unis I could cheer for them more. I find them to be a perpetually young, exciting team.

Shows you how old I am, they were originally the Oakland Seals. After three seasons, they got bought by Charlie O'Finley (of the Oakland A's infamy) who changed the name to the California Golden Seals and mis-managed the team all the way to Cleveland.

I think the Sharks' sweaters look like jockey silks, but gotta root for the hometown boys regardless.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#11 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

Tana: Are you saying that Mike Rathje is an inlaw? That's cool. My best brush with NHL fame is spending an Xmas with Russ Courtnall when I was a kid (family friend's friend). Best brush with sports fame is going to high school with Steve Nash.

Yes. They have four kids (including a pair of twins). Bob's niece, Shayna, told her mother when she was ten, "I am going to marry a professional athlete and have twins." She's a statuesque goddess, very unlike all the other little hockey wives, who are more like Stepford Wives. She's over six feet tall, black/white/Cherokee racial heritage, with flowing wild ringlety hair, and is just gorgeous. They're good together. Fun. Down to earth. Not a whit of pretense, which really makes her unlike the hockey wives I met when hanging out after a couple of Sharks games. I cannot bear to be around people who think being famous, or worse, being married to someone famous, makes them any different from anyone else. I got the feeling those gals gargle with Clorox after kissing their children, if you know what I mean. (Not that they don't love 'em...you know what I mean.)

Our deal with hockey is that we never remember to turn on the TV set. We really don't watch much of anything that is off our radar. We're programmed to catch Bill Maher and "Inside the NFL" on HBO, but otherwise, if we turn on the set, it's lots of channel surfing. Then you can count on Bob landing on Turner Classics or the Hitler Channel (as we call History Channel). Creatures of habit.

#12 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,172 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

I am a lifelong Rangers fan (brainwashed by dad at an early age). Bu the strike lessened my interest a little. I did watch a game last week though so who knows, I may get sucked back in. Since I respect bloviatrix, I will refrain from airing my feelings about the Islanders. :wub:

My sister, when in college,dated one of the Rangers. My aunt and uncle had the cabana next him at the country club, which is how they met. Sis: "Pro athletes make the best boyfriends. They are in terrific shape. They make a lot of money. They travel a lot so they are not always around to bug you. And, they are stupid, so you can push them around."
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#13 bilrus

bilrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

I have been an ardent hockey fan for most of my life, but the combination of the strike, the lack of coverage on ESPN, and the downfall of my beloved St. Louis Blues has left me rather indifferent to the game. I hate to say that.

I am going to see our Blues tomorrow against the Capitals in DC. Hard to get excited about the two worst teams in hockey, even with Ovechkin on the ice.

#14 BCinBC

BCinBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

Sis: "Pro athletes make the best boyfriends.  They are in terrific shape.  They make a lot of money.  They travel a  lot so they are not always around to bug you.  And, they are stupid, so you can push them around."

That's funny; puck bunnies everywhere are making up inspirational posters.

You should give the Rangers a shot this year, as they are doing really well (perhaps overachieving?). Somehow Tom Renney went from being a really bad coach here several years ago, to a decent coach at MSG. Sold his soul, is my guess.

Bilrus: I'll be checking the highlights and if Ovechkin does anything amazing, I'll be jealous.

#15 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

That's funny; puck bunnies everywhere are making up inspirational posters.

Puck bunnies? Is that what you call girls who chase hockey players?

Lord, I just call 'em "bimbos." We went out back of the arena with Mike once, and there was a blonde literally draped on the hood of her black or red convertible, in a micro-mini dress, with hair and legs as long as a river. It's like she was filming "The 'Me' Commercial" about herself.

Shayna just rolled her eyes and said, "She's here every game. She wants her own Shark."

Apparently this strategy can work, however briefly (think "5-6 hours"), if you are built like Pamela Anderson at age 25 or so.