Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(wleatherette @ Sep 17 2007, 05:05 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Vital Information @ Aug 14 2007, 05:59 PM) View Post
Corky and Lenny's has the schmooze down, pretty good corned beef and soup, below average pastrami (which is harder to do well it seems).

i loved c&l's as a kid, but i think it's really gone downhill. jack's in university heights is my hands-down favorite for hardcore deli, although slyman's on st. clair wins for corned beef. two very different experiences, but both are great.

mitchell's ice cream is great, and i beg my family to stock up on their peppermint stick around the holidays. nothing beats east coast custard, though. i dream of that stuff. the shake shack just doesn't cut it.

Shake Shack isn't trying to do east coast custard. Meyer is offering the frozen custard that is popular in St. Louis. The kind you grow up eating at places like Ted Drewes.

#17 wleatherette

wleatherette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

oh, i didn't mean east coast custard as in the soft serve that you get on the east coast. i was referring to the ohio frozen custard shop, which is called east coast custard. they serve the classic midwestern frozen custard that i grew up eating.

#18 NancyEsq

NancyEsq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

How about some high-fives for Cleveland's own Michael Symon - The Next Iron Chef! Way to go, Michael!

#19 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:07 AM

I considered going to Lolita to watch the finale of NICA, but wound up staying home to roast coffee and braise oxtails instead.

After seeing the video on the Plain Dealer web site, I'm sorry I didn't go. Of course without reservations I would have had to get there when they opened at 4:00 to grab a spot at the bar. Hell, I "survived" six hours at Alinea, so six or seven hours at Lolita should be no problem, right? Small portions, please! laugh.gif

#20 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'll be in Cleveland next week. Most meals have been planned for me (it's the eG gathering, doncha know). But are there any little places I can make quick stops at?

I've added Mitchell's to the list of places I want to visit. I hope they do peppermint stick ice cream in the summer, too.

Maybe Dewey's for coffee.

Any good chocolate places? I'm thinking of something similar to Christopher Elbow in Kansas City.

Any food items I must try while I'm there? Or that I really must bring home with me? (anyone know a source of good malted milk powder in Cleveland?)

Any non-food places which I really must visit? Other than the rock 'n roll hall of fame (which I do not intend to visit).

#21 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Lily's in Tremont for sure! Chocolate

How mobile will you be? And, possibly worse that I'm asking*, what sort of schedule and establishments are already on the eG itinerary? I'm sure edsel will have a lovely list of suggestions.

*I popped into a previous Cleveland eG gathering post my being booted and infuriated Steven Shaw. :lol:

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#22 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

Lily's in Tremont for sure! Chocolate

How mobile will you be? And, possibly worse that I'm asking*, what sort of schedule and establishments are already on the eG itinerary? I'm sure edsel will have a lovely list of suggestions.

*I popped into a previous Cleveland eG gathering post my being booted and infuriated Steven Shaw. :lol:

I think you should come join us! I'm expecting to be legacied some time soon, so I'm hoping to attend future gatherings as another member's +1. You could be my other +1! Won't that be fun?

I'm tagging along with Kerry Beal. My +1 and I are flying to TO and driving down with Kerry. I'm pretty sure I can talk her into Lily's, Kerry being the chocolate doctor and all that, and she's pretty game about hitting up interesting places.

The event looks something like this:

Thursday evening: Tremont Crawl--Happy Hour at 5pm at Fahrenheit, followed by Lolita (Michael Symon's restaurant) and Dante

Friday day--meet&greet with Chris Hodgson probably with lunch @ the trucks

Friday Happy Hour: Velvet Tango Room

Friday evening--Greenhouse Tavern

Saturday group meal@The Chubby Cook (morning/lunch@West Side Market and North Union Farmer's Market)

Sunday lunch--AMP150

We're headed back to TO after lunch. I'm not sure which way we're driving--maybe taking the Buffalo way around?

BTW, do you know if Weber's Health Food market is still around? I hear they have malted milk powder there.

#23 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

What about a good place for doughnuts? I always think doughnuts are better in the US. Any good doughnuts in Cleveland?

#24 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Sort of randomly:

lol on the soon to be "Legacy." Shaw was so pissed I attended the Velvet Tango Room Happy Hour that our Japan living friend (I forgot how to spell her name, apologies) Kristin's spirit of fun, I fear, was ruined. It was a shame as I really enjoyed her and wished to introduce her to some good brand new sushi happening on the west side.

As for donuts, I'm sure I had these once or twice but never ventured over to purchase meself: Jack Frost. I've driven past the odd store structure many a time and think I once knew an employee that would bring home odds and ends while stopping by a Tremont bar I once worked in handing me a donut.... Many seem to vote on yelp for them too.

As for Tremont! 807 has a beautiful patio, but sometimes inconsistent service if cocktails there is considered. It is very close to Lolita. I love Lolita's Happy Hours with bartender's choice of red, white or cocktail -- along with selected dishes for $5 each.

And does Paulius know an eG group is coming for Happy Hour at the VTR? I hope so as he will make his charming self available to be personably hospitable and fuss over your cocktail service. :) I will be happy to let him know, if he isn't out of town having fun in Chicago like the last time we had a gathering with liquor brand ambassador Bobby G.

On the food truck thing, I really hate to dampen any picnic, but if possible and other trucks are in present, check them out. I wholly love Chris' efforts to establish this new to Cleveland food venue, however I wasn't all that on some of the cheap bread bun choices he served up if you know what I mean. Umami Moto is fabulous as is JiBARO.

As on places to go other than the Rock Hall... I'd recommend a wee bit of a trip to charming Chagrin Falls and do the candy/popcorn shop thing, feed the ducks from feed that is purchased from the antique hardware store and eat at a local resto like Rick's Cafe after seeing the falls. I can't really recommend much more than taking in the neighbourhoods and various architecture or the lakefront. I have recently loved visiting Battery Park/Gordon Square area for its recent storefront rennovations, art and rejuvination in restos and interesting bars. My beloved Ohio City (where Westside Market is located) has been home to me with a century old Victorian Lady structure has a decent pub crawl and list of restaurants. (Neighbouring VTR is technically located on what is referred to as "Duck Island"). My current fav is with my former boss and Cleveland darling, mischevious chef Marlin Kaplan at Dragonfly. He was mentioned earlier in the Cleveland thread for having One Walnut, which he has since sold and ventured into Dragonfly. There is much to do in Ohio City -- Johnny Mangos (excellent Margaritas since they juice all forms of fruit) Momocho, Old Angle (my fav haunt), Garage Bar, Bier Markt/Bar Cento, Market District Brewery, Great Lakes Brewery, Light Bistro!

If you head towards Edgewater I recommend seeking out Whiskey Island, head towards Wendy Park, go to Cropicana, ask for my friend, bartender and brand ambassador for Domaine de Canton, Darko to mix a cool cocktail (beware he tends to mix sweet ones, I'd go for the Moscow Mule here). The chef there is also well liked and respected, however this is a new concept resto for him and sort of out of the water from his previous better dining establishment. The promise of a new Crop restaurant is already in the works with this newborn sister restaurant, Cropicana, already running.

I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with Webber's! But a yelp webpage indicates it is still there. Call in advance as I find hits for restos that have been closed with reviews as it is still open!

If you find yourself wandering through a grocery store, seek out Garlic Expressions Dressing if that isn't available where you reside. While it isn't a Cleveland product, it is an Ohio one. Tastes homemade without having to make it. You'll love when a lump of garlic falls out and adds wow to your salad. I also enjoy a local Ohio product (also not sure of its distribution) Lucky Penny Goat Cheese, but I'm sure you have a decent local goat cheese. :)

Lastly, I've only driven to TO via Buffalo/I-90, so I'd suppose it would be fun to round through Detroit one day and get a change of scenery. However my experience driving through Buffalo is that the roads are crap and full of lovely potholes, most likely due to their harsh winters.

I'd welcome an opportunity to meet up and would gladly pm my mobile if schedules allow us to cross at a point in time! Perhaps I'll haunt the eG VTR Happy Hour, once again?! After all, Paulius is a lovely friend of mine!

Cheers!

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#25 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

I'll second the recommendation of Lily's. They're right around the corner from Fahrenheit, conveniently enough. There's also a terrific cupcake place up the street. (I kind of shudder saying that - the cupcake trend seems pretty annoying to me, but A Cookie and a Cupcake does really quality stuff. So i'll forgive them for being trendy. :D )

Mitchell's is good ice cream, but there are two other options I'd mention. Sweet Moses in Lakewood is an old-fashioned soda fountain. It's a new place but has an authentic feel to it. They make their own caramel and hot fudge.

Jeni's out of Columbus has garnered a national reputation. They opened a shop in Chagrin Falls a while back. I haven't been there yet, but I can highly recommend their ice cream.
• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#26 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

Oh! Re: Dewey's

Good coffee, sometimes a good grab for a quick bite of a sandwich or piece of bakery as I often did while walking into work at the other side of Shaker Square quadrant, Sérgío’s SARAVÁ, however I found them a bit pricey. One of their managers used to come in for happy hour at SARAVÁ and tip me with a free coffee card. :rolleyes:

#27 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

Sweet Moses has homemade root beer!!! I love root beer! Speaking of which, any other local brands of root beer I should try?

I suspect we won't make it out to Chagrin Falls. We'll probably be arriving in Cleveland early Thursday afternoon (just enough time to check in to the B&B and freshen up before the evening), and are leaving Sunday immediately after the lunch. Jack Frost is sort of near AMP150, though, so maybe on the Sunday, I'll be able talk Kerry into dropping by on our way to or from lunch. I hope they have apple fritters!

beans, I do hope you come out to VTR (we're scheduled to be there at 5pm!). It's a public place, so people with inflated heads/egos cannot control your presence. I think Paulius knows we're coming (quite honestly, I have very little knowledge of what's happening), but it seems there is no cocktail tasting or anything going on, just people showing up for pre-dinner drinks if they desire. It's definitely not a pre-paid event, anyway, and we're expected to pay-as-we-go.

Poor Kristin. She's one of the nicest people I've ever met (genuinely so, which makes it all the more fun when she's snarky). She must have been pretty embarrassed by FG. But no worries, if you come on Friday night, I shall stand up for you with all of my 154 cm! And I'm sure Kristin would be happy to reacquaint herself with you, and I'd love to meet you! I do not have a cell phone (I know, I know, I'm a luddite), but I will have free wi-fi at the B&B, so if you want to pm me your email address, I will get in touch with you once we arrive. Perhaps I can sneak away if you have some free time, and do some other fun stuff! Saturday after the farmer's market?

Oh, I was rereading the plans, and we may be out in Ohio City Friday afternoon to visit Crop. Don't know if that part was finalized, though. Any interesting short stops in that direction in case we go? Like an ice cream place, doughnut place, chocolate place. . . you know, just quick stops in and out to pick up some little treats. :)

Goat cheese and garlic dressing are on my list of things to buy, and I'm packing some ice packs and a small thermal bag with me!

#28 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

On Thursday, I may venture into Tremont, so if you see someone smiling and looking around stating "eG" it will be me. lol

Elsewise I'm in on Velvet Tango Room and am enthused to meet those I've message boarded with for years over the same good things of food, cooking, eating out and beverages. This always brings a smile to my face.

I understand a very big nemesis from my eG days doing the eGCI will also be present. I'll buy her a drink.

I may also bring along another fellow food and drink enthusiast... I'm all for an enthusiastic gathering celebrating food or drink. Or both.

Let's enjoy and cheers!

#29 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'll be the little Asian chick who isn't Connie (you probably met her at the last Cleveland gathering?) and who doesn't have a head full of grey hair (that would be my mother)!

Looking forward to meeting you! BTW, I think there may be something special about the Tremont crawl, just because it's prepaid, but I like I said before, I have no clue what's really happening!

#30 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

Hey girl, enjoy. If I show up I'll bring some homemade jam (a la Christine Ferber) and a fabuloulsy fresh picked and wow you peach or two. Being a visitor to my spot on this earth, I'd also most likely chug along a Garlic Expressions Dressing (food safe) or maybe a goat cheese or two if you can baby it to a refrige.

Cheers! :cool: