The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#32 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:02 PM

Since I'm going to make the pickled ones, I thought I'd do a couple of skirt steaks and rice...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#33 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

They're excellent with carne asada, with roast chicken, with pork. I often prepare carne de puerco con chile verde (pork stewed in green chile) to be served with Mexican rice, well-fried beans with queso cotija, and these rajas.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#34 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

We've had too much meat in the past week or so; I'm going to make these to accompany some fish.

I often make roasted bell peppers using the same technique, then packing them in olive oil and garlic. I keep them in the refrigerator. But I digress.

#35 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

Oops, yes, I prepare them to serve with fish as well! Thanks for the reminder--my mind is more on breakfast at the moment than on dinner. :lol:
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#36 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:50 PM

I'll be using the Bayless' recipe from the "Mexican Kitchen" book.
Very similar to cristina's but with a pinch of oregano and thyme.
Creme Fraiche instead of crema.
And yes, serving with a whole roasted red snapper.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#37 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

What exactly is crema?

Would New Yorkers like to suggest resources for crema and fresh chiles? Will any good bodega on 9th or 10th have them?
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#38 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:30 PM

What exactly is crema?

Would New Yorkers like to suggest resources for crema and fresh chiles? Will any good bodega on 9th or 10th have them?

Robert, this site explains :HERE
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#39 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

According to the
Special Cheese website:

Crema Mexicana
      The most popular Hispanic cream. This product is thick, rich, fresh cream. It has the thickness of Devonshire Cream or Creme Fraiche and has the sweet taste of heavy whipping cream. It is used as a dessert topping either directly out of the package or whipped. In fact, many chefs specify our Crema Mexicana for their whipped toppings because it will hold its whip for four days, not the four hours one can expect from whipping common heavy cream. Crema Mexicana is also used as an ingredient to thicken sauces and to give entrees a thicker, richer taste. For a delicious addition to your pasta sauces try mixing one part Crema Mexicana to three parts pasta sauce. You'll love the result. Especially with tomato based pasta sauces: creamier and richer than any pasta sauce you've tried before!

In US supermarkets, it's usually sold in a glass jar, often displayed next to the Mexican cheeses. Some of the best-known Mexican cheese brands also manufacture crema.

The Voice of America

#40 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

Thanks, Rose and Jaymes. My local Associated has a good international section because of the UN. I'll check it out tomorrow.

#41 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:28 PM

You can use creme fraiche instead, much better. (ducking to avoid multi culti wrath)
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#42 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:28 PM

In Manhattan, Ampelman recommended a Mexican grocerycalled La Loma del Tepeyac (1621 Lexington @ 102nd St., tel. 212-987-8364). He said they carry all sorts of Mexican vegetables including fresh nopales and epazote, mole poblano, quesos mexicanos, etc.

I've been planning to check it out...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#43 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:57 PM

You can use creme fraiche instead, much better. (ducking to avoid multi culti wrath)

What about it, Mexican experts? Is it much better? Is it even an acceptable substitute or does it fall into the do-this-if-you can't-find-the-real-thing category?

#44 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:01 AM

They carry Mexican crema in most of the grocery stores near me - Gristede's, CTown, Food Emporium...I just don't like it. Robert, maybe you could buy a jar and taste it plain and see what you think before committing it to a whole dish... ?

#45 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:07 AM

Does Crema taste different from creme fraiche? Closer to sour cream?
I got my poblanos today - 4 weighting about a pound. Very nicely shaped not too many crevices.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8