120 replies to this topic

#46 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

I think it has kind of a sour taste. Not sour like sour cream (which I love with all my heart and soul) - more sour than that.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#47 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,977 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:09 AM

of course the best thing to do would be to make half with crema and half with creme fraiche (or 1/3 mexican crema, 1/3 salvadoran, 1/3 creme fraiche :lol: )
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#48 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:17 AM

Omnivorette, I think you got yourself a batch of crema that was past its prime. Maybe you could give it another try sometime. It's not supposed to be sour.

The crema that I buy here (I admit that I live in Mexico, otherwise known as cremalandia) is thick, heavy, sweet, and just as delicious as creme fraiche.

The other thing is that the flavors of the chiles poblano and the onions enhance the flavor of the crema in this recipe so that it becomes something quite different from the flavor of crema simply licked off the spoon or dolloped onto enchiladas. I'd be mighty surprised if you didn't love it.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#49 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:27 AM

I can't really tell that much difference in taste between the crema available in our supers, and whipping cream. The crema is thicker and richer is all. I often put it in my coffee. Which I'd never do if it had a sour taste.

And good news for me. Our local Walmart has fresh poblanos, so I'm excited about that. I think I'm going to make both the marinated ones and the ones con crema. Grand fun. :lol:

The Voice of America

#50 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:28 AM

Oh, I'll definitely have to try some more. The sour thing happened to me twice and I gave up. Maybe just some bad luck.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#51 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,977 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:16 AM

well, given that the recipe for making crema at home is the same as for making c fraiche... :lol:

crema

creme fraiche

But I won't argue with the experts.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#52 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:51 AM

well, given that the recipe for making crema at home is the same as for making c fraiche... :lol:

crema

creme fraiche

But I won't argue with the experts.

Wow. Interesting.

The Voice of America

#53 theabroma

theabroma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:01 AM

So what is the technique with electric? Do you have to broil them in the oven?

Cast iron griddle or skillet - or a really heavy bottomed saute pan. Heat it up thoroughly, and drop the peppers in. And there you go.

I often have trouble using the broiler - since I don't generally use it very much and thus have a bit of a time judging its heat output. I tend to over cook the pepper flesh, or on bad days, carbonize the whole thing.

Theabroma

#54 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:50 AM

Me too. I have overdone them in the broiler, burned myself holding them over an open flame, and finally learned that Doña Ofe's method--the comal, which for me is a cast iron griddle--works the best. One of the main reasons I like it is that I can go on to the next task while the chiles char, without worrying if they (or I) will be going up in flames.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#55 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

Made them last night. Two decent sized poblanos, a couple of serranos for interest, a white onion and a dollop of crème fraiche. I charred the chilies over an open flame which worked very nicely. In the past I’ve used a broiler because our regular apartment only has an electric cooker. Not very satisfactory, as others have commented: by the time you’ve got a decent char, the flesh is cooked. Not fatal for this recipe but it makes chile rellenos next to impossible. I might buy a blow torch just for the purpose.

Had them with a very nice Niman Ranch rib steak from Jefferson Market and a few fried potatoes. A good mixture.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#56 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:20 PM

Okay -- just back from the local Walmart. They had two brands of crema, and beautiful fresh poblanos and anaheims, so I'm making both. I'll do my cooking on Wednesday. Peppers as side dish with a pork roast.

The Voice of America

#57 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:44 PM

I might buy a blow torch just for the purpose.

Good idea - and we already have one. I hope you're not talking about the flimsy thing sold in kitchenware stores?
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#58 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:50 PM

We use a proper blowtorch for our torch needs, not chichi little girly-man blowtorches that cost and arm and a leg at a snoot store.

Bob's probably came from the building supply store. It's ugly and it works great on crème brûlées.

#59 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:00 PM

Tana, have you tried using the blowtorch yourself - i'm still afraid of doing this :lol:
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#60 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

I was thinking something like this would meet my chile charring needs.

Posted Image
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson