120 replies to this topic

#61 whippedkeptboy

whippedkeptboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

I like the sound of that as a pick-up line. "Hey baby. Wanna char the chilis?" Smooth.

#62 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

Tana, have you tried using the blowtorch yourself - i'm still afraid of doing this :lol:

Blowtorches are not scary to me, Helena. Honestly. They're fun. I have used them on crème brûlées, as mentioned above, and to light fires in the fireplace.

I don't think you need be afraid of them. They're pinpoint accurate, if your pin is the size of a ramekin. :lol:

But I will use the gas stove for the chiles. Because, after living in this house for nine years, we're finally cookin' with gas.

#63 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:04 AM

chichi little girly-man blowtorches

:lol: :lol: OMG, girly-man blowtorches--Tana, you lunatic. :lol: :lol:

<oops, a rare moment of hilarity here>
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#64 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:28 AM

I've charred hundreds of chiles in my life, all on direct flame or in the BBQ, but I have to say, using a comal is great. You don't need to pay so much attention and the skin just slips off for the most part. After you've gotten an all over charring, you can push the chile down with a spatula to get those naughty crevices and valleys. If you do it after the chile has been roasting for awhile, you get a nice blister immediately. Thanks to you Cristina for making my already carefree and exciting life even more glorious!!!!!!!

I almost always leave my rajas alone and just saute them with onion, garlic and some Mexican oregano, but being a team player, I doused them in the crema. What they did to my simple turkey breast from the pressure cooker is amazing! They'd make a great enchilada filling as well. But now I have this big bottle 3/4 full of crema staring me in the face. It's not fattening or anything is it?

I have two comales, one small and large. They are thin sheet-metal types and I do like them better than cast iron because they heat faster and you can control the heat. If you are an occasional Mexican cook, cast iron is great, but I use mine everyday and that was before using it to roast chiles! Toasting herbs, heating tortillas, pan roasting tomatoes, onions, tomatillos, etc. are all perfect for the comal. Tana Butler and I have a lead on some fine ceramic comales we'll fill you in on if it proves to be as good as it seems.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#65 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:40 PM

<takes a bow> You are most welcome, Sr. Ranchito.

And goodness no, there are no calories in crema. Just plop it on anything, lap it up like a cat.

Actually, I often use it in pancake batter or in mashed potatoes instead of milk, on fresh red raspberries (there are farms near here where they're sold for less than $2 USD the kilo--c'mon down, November through May is the season) or in/on anything else where you might use ordinary cream. Nothing excessive about me!

Some time ago a friend came for lunch who had never dined chez moi . Lunch was who-knows-what, but dessert, ah dessert! I poached bosc pears in mildly cinnamon-flavored simple syrup. I prepared a raspberry purée from some of those afore-mentioned raspberries. And I prepared crema with vanilla, sugar, and some Controy (Mexican Cointreau). A puddle of the crema on the plate, the pear standing in it, the raspberry purée drizzled over the pear, and a lemon leaf stuck into the pear near its stem--she took one bite of that pear with the crema and gasped. She liked it. :lol:
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#66 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:16 PM

But now I have this big bottle 3/4 full of crema staring me in the face. It's not fattening or anything is it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can also whip it and add sugar, vanilla, etc., and use it to top whatever.

I prefer it over heavy cream since, as Cristina says, it has no calories whatsoever. Those clever Mexicans.

The Voice of America

#67 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:41 PM

My rajas have been completed- sans crema (watching my waistline) and served with aged cheese and hot corn tortillas. Yum. Don't you just love those poblanos?
So, what's next? I've got two more poblanos. Anything else we could do with poblanos?
s
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair

#68 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

I was thinking something like this would meet my chile charring needs.

Posted Image

Hm. I have a roofing torch that produces a similar effect. Never though to try it on chiles.

I just plop mine on the gas burner on the stove & rotate them around, then stick them in a bowl with a plate or something on top. I love to keep plain roasted ones in the fridge for stuffing into omelettes and sandwiches.

My local grocery was getting $5.99/lb for poblanos, but finally came to their senses. Now they're $2.99/lb. – same as the candy-assed TAM jalapeños. I always opt for the poblanos, since they have way better heat.

I've been trying for 10 years to grow poblanos here in Vermont. Finally had a decent crop this year, along with some wickedly fiery jalapeños.

I'm going to have to start frequenting this thread.

#69 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:41 PM

Shelora, try this soup:

Crema de Chile Poblano

Char your poblanos and peel per the comal method or the girly-man torch method--or the fire-breather method in the picture--or the method you usually use, whatever blows your skirt up. Remove seeds and stems.

Put poblanos and enough chicken stock in the blender to liquify. Put poblano purée in a heavy saucepan. Thin slightly with more chicken stock, heat, thin with still more more chicken stock to the consistency of a cream soup, add a large dollop of the magically calorie-free crema, salt to taste, and stir well. Bring almost to a boil and plate...umm, bowl.
Mexico Cooks!

#70 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:06 PM

That sounds fabulous. Just the thing for a snowy winter night. Next time we get one. If. And thanks for dispensation to enjoy crema without guilt. :lol:

#71 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:37 PM

Sometimes, when I want to be Ms Nouvelle Snooty, I do the poblano soup thing as mentioned a post or so up, then do the same soup thing with sweet red peppers, charred and peeled etc.

To serve, I carefully pour the two soups simultaneously and side by side into their individual bowls and lay a swirl of crema right down the middle.

Voilá, the Mexican flag. Well, minus the eagle and the serpent.
Mexico Cooks!

#72 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:15 PM

Does anyone know where I can find poblanos in Manhattan?

#73 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

Fairway usually has them, as does the supermarket near my house. I'm surprised you're having trouble finding them, Lippy.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#74 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

Does anyone know where I can find poblanos in Manhattan?

Not Whole Foods, I can tell you. According to G. Johnson, they are available in the 6th Ave. Citarella and the Garden of Eden on 14th St. The Chelsea G of E did not have them last night.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#75 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

I just saw them at the fruit and vegetable place in the Chelsea Market.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.