64 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

Dean & DeLuca today, at $2 lb. I resisted because I'm dieting, but I was very tempted.

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,541 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:11 AM

Dean & DeLuca today, at $2 lb.  I resisted because I'm dieting, but I was very tempted.

is marrow fattening?

edit: i found this via random google

Bone marrow has fallen out of favor as a food, commonly now being used only as a flavoring for soup. Bone marrow is a source of protein and high in monounsaturated fats . These fats are known to decrease LDL  cholesterol  levels. Some believe this results in a reduced risk of coronary heart disease, prompting them to make bone marrow a dietary  staple . The lack of heart disease and obesity in the hominid ancestors of humans has been credited to their regular consumption of bone marrow. It has also been credited to the fact that they were physically active and died at a young age of other causes. The actual health effects of the addition of bone marrow to the diet is unknown.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:27 AM

It's my understanding that the marrow has the same number of calories as the fat. Anything that luscious has to be packed with calories.

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

But they're good calories! :unsure:
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:00 AM

You won't get an argument from me.

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:26 AM

When you find special bones at a good price, the calorie count is negotiable. Bones tonight; salad tomorrow. No?

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:35 AM

I should have gotten them, I guess. I don't have a cholesterol check for another month. Maybe I'll try to swing by tomorrow, unless another MF-er has already cleaned out the supply.

But, do I remember correctly, Voyager, that you have a set of marrow spoons? I don't.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:44 AM

Buy enough for the two of us as well, and I'll bring mine. :unsure:

Why worry? The classic parsley salad that often accompanies them will take care of anything bad.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:00 AM

marrow spoons?

No, I have one, enough for my household, but not for guests. What about lobster forks, or fondue forks, for that matter? Wouldn't any of these do? Besides, I have never been served special forks in French bistrots. Knife, fork, that's all, and that's been enough. Enjoy! It's a situation of 'where there's a will, there's a way'. Or if you are planning to serve guests, ask them to bring their own! :unsure:

I'm with Suzanne: parsley salad tonight, oatmeal tomorrow!

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:08 AM

I have demitasse spoons! If I get a chance, I'll go back tomorrow. You only live once.

#11 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,541 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:09 AM

I have demitasse spoons! If I get a chance, I'll go back tomorrow. You only live once.

lippy, what scarce information there is online suggests that marrow may be good for your cholesterol count. it is apparently all unsaturated fat, which will raise hdl/reduce ldl.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#12 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:34 AM

Oh, just suck it out. :unsure: Go for it!
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#13 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:51 AM

Went back today and bought them for tomorrow.

#14 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:09 AM

Went back today and bought them for tomorrow.

Way to go! Wish I were there! Did I post the SF Chronicle food section article on Bones? If not, let me know and I'll post it by 10am your time. ;)

#15 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:18 AM

I don't recall seeing it. Please post.