26 replies to this topic

#1 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

I spent 2 days in Philadelphia,a city that I've always liked for its' friendliness and bits of eccentricity....and went to two restaurants which I'd planned ahead to visit;Vetri a small Italian restaurant,with a menu created by a talented chef with an individual approach to Italian cooking.Amada,a new,beautifully designed Tapas restaurant way downtown.Both places were as enjoyable or better than anywhere that I've et at in N.Y. in a long time.Vetri has 10 tables,and a menu that had too many good choices;particularily wonderful were veal kidneys with runny egg and polenta,spinach gnocchi,a salt baked branzino that was just..tastier than any other that I've ever had,and a dessert of lavender gelato covered with a thin sheet of chocolate;they pour some warm olive oil on the chocolate,and it comes together as a happy making dessert.How nice to enjoy a meal ina space as intimate as this...we were the last ones standing at the end of the night.Lunch today at Amada was wonderful;the room is a large,monochromatic space,divided up into bar area,two tops,and some long tables for parties set off by gauzey white curtains.The tapas were simple classic dishes well prepared;fried anchovies,squid a la plancha,cabrales with tomato jam,etc.with a good wine list to match.If these places were in N.Y.,they'd be in my top 10 return to places.
G*d is in the details...

#2 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:06 AM

Oh I'm jealous. The last time I was in Philadelphia I tried to get a last minute reservation at Vetri but couldn't. I don't remember who published it, but it had just gotten a rave review. It's on my list for the next time I go back.

#3 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

Given its' size,Vetri requires ressies quite well in advance...www.Vetriristorante.com www.Amadarestaurant.com
G*d is in the details...

#4 R Washburn

R Washburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

The Vetri space has housed several of Philadelphia's finest restaurants (IIRC): La Panetiere, Le Bec-Fin, Ciboulette, Chanterelle and now Vetri. Although La Panetiere, Le Bec-Fin and Ciboulette all moved to larger spaces, Le Bec-fin is the only restauarant still with us. I ate there once when Chanterelle was there and I couldn't believe how small the space was.

Vetri sounds exciting, but I have never managed to get a reservation.

Glad to hear Amada was good. I must try it some time.

#5 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

Vetri is a very special place. The staff creates the balance between "welcome to our living room" and "professional service"..often a tricky thing. Do they still have the bright red prosciutto cutter in the front room? I also saw one of those at the IWMerchants in NYC..those antiques are quite costly!

#6 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

Yes,the prosciutto slicer and the espresso machine are right in the middle of everything.It is exactly the sort of restaurant that I love best-a very personal type of cooking and service.
G*d is in the details...

#7 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

Vetri has sold his entire restaurant group (with the notable exception of Vetri itself) to Urban Outfitters.

Man about town.

#8 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

We went to Vetri for the first time in 2008. Actually ate there twice in one week. The food was terrific. When we went back a couple of years ago, I felt the food had gone downhill. Not bad but not nearly as delicious as those first meals. So disappointing. Perhaps he was too busy opening new restaurants to pay proper attention to the flagship. Maybe now he'll turn his attention back to it full time.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,130 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

It sounds like he'll still be running the restaurants he sold.  But that might just be marketing bullshit.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

I haven't been to Vetri in probably a year or so.  The first time I went was maybe 2010.  I've been several times.  The meal is always good, but yeah it can be variable.  I've had a couple incredible meals there, and others that were merely very good.  The previous chef, Adam Leonti, is going to be running the restaurant in the new Williamsburg Hotel.  Don't think there's an opening date yet.

This is a pretty strange move.  Probably good for Mr. Vetri from a financial perspective.  I doubt it will be good for those of us who enjoy his restaurants.  Now that Marc is just an employee like the rest of us working stiffs, he's about to find out that he can't just do anything he wants unless it satisfies the bean counters who really will be running the business.

Man about town.

#11 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

I thought Urban Outfitters weren't very good at bean counting lately. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,962 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:16 PM

Vetri gave an article to PhillyMag describing what he thinks will happen

--UO is opening lifestyle centers in several locations, the pizza line will go with them

--the two existing UO cafe centers will be folded into his group

--where there's a UO store, there may be a trattoria from the group

He makes a point of saying Vetri the restaurant is not scalable.  But the trattoria, the pizzeria, etc is eminently scalable and appeals to the same demographic as the UO

http://www.phillymag...ban-outfitters/

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#13 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Very good burger at a.kitchen + bar -- the bar side. Looked like a great cocktail place but I just had a beer. That bar would definitely be on regular rotation for weekend afternoon post shopping if I still lived in the city.

Second time at Federal Donuts, first time ordering chicken. The buttermilk ranch was really awful. There was some weird "ranch" powder heavily sprinkled on it that tasted like un-reconstituted Knorr instant soup mix (don't ask me why I know this.) Also ordered was the honey version which I had a bite of, better than the ranch but meh. So given this was 1/3 of the savory menu I'm guessing it wasn't that we just ordered wrong. Donuts were fine but you know, donuts. 

Brunch at White Dog, lovely waitstaff but my dish was a mess. Companion's dishes looked less messy but not particularly tempting either. 

Vietnam solid, as always. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#14 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Federal Donuts is overrated.

Man about town.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

Will I be in Philly next weekend?  Possible.  Wish I knew for sure.