23 replies to this topic

#16 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:20 AM

Go to Zahav and get the mesibah (and be sure to reserve the lamb shoulder in advance), or go to Kanella.

Man about town.

#17 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

Have convinced one of our students to watch the Rocky movies.  Well, the first two.  He's matriculating at Thomas Jefferson next year and looking for digs near Centre City.  After the closing of Le Bec-Fin, I haven't the foggiest notion where one would dine there.

If I don't move to Sunset Park next year, I might go to Philly myself, if I can find a job there.

#18 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

Le Bec-Fin hasn't been a relevant restaurant for like fifteen years.

Man about town.

#19 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:17 AM

Yes, that's about the last time I dined in Philly.  Closer to twenty, actually.  :D

#20 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,452 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

There are lots of very nice places to eat. My choices are heavily toddler constrained.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

Vetri made TimeOut's list as the best Italian restaurant in America...

http://www.nj.com/ne...ost_shared-food

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#22 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:22 AM

Vetri has sold his entire restaurant group (with the notable exception of Vetri itself) to Urban Outfitters.

Interesting twist to this story.  Vetri's new corporate overlords ran background checks on their employees and ended up firing 30 Mexicans (out of 400 total employees).

Man about town.

#23 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

The original location of Farm & Fisherman is to close.  The 30 seat Philadelphia BYOB restaurant was too small, and too time intensive.

However, owner Josh Lawlor will continue with his much larger Farm & Fisherman Tavern in NJ, and plans to expand it into the suburbs of Philadelphia.

http://www.philly.co...rman-close.html

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#24 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,452 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

Philly again, this time with slightly older children. First meal out was a.kitchen, this time the restaurant side. Burger. Good. 

Grown up meal out at the new-ish Double Knot, which is a cafe upstairs during the day, and a bar at night, and they have an izakaya downstairs in the evening. We had a (very good) cocktail upstairs, and then ate downstairs. I don't find myself complaining about restaurant lighting that often, but it was really hard to read the menu at our table. Which ended up with me asking the waitress to recommend a bottle from the junmai ginjo price category, and her picking the only bottle in that category which would have put us well in the daiginjo category, which was kind of annoying. The sake itself was good, but not $78 for 300ml good. Further annoying was that she let me order two dishes with the identical saucing, then only commented on this as she dropped them off at our table. Food was tasty enough but too much of a similar treatment overall for the dishes -- all kind of sweet smoky despite the fact that we ordered across the entire menu.   Would have been nice to have some contrasting sour/fermented/fresh/whatever. 

Another grown up meal at Fork. I wasn't expecting so much from this one and they knocked it out of the park. Super service, very interesting and well thought out dishes. Lovely, Michelin-level cooking except you could identify all the ingredients and the place was not the least bit stuffy. Super cocktails. 

Watched soccer at the White Dog for old times sake. Pretty competent kitchen though I kind of miss the old eccentricity of the place when Judy Wicks still ran it.  Availed myself of the $1 oysters happy hour. 

Reading Terminal meh but $4 parking. We ate at 12th Street Cantina because of the kids so I can't really complain.  

Very good dim sum at Dim Sum House, new place at 39th and Chestnut. Easily one of the best I've had in the US in any case. 

Excellent meal as usual at Mustard Greens.

Dizingoff for the famous Zahav hummus. Haven't been able to get a reservation at Zahav and have been curious to try. Very well done, in particular the fresh pita is a nice touch. A reminder that I make good hummus at home though too. :-) Less sesame forward, more lemon, but that's a Lebanese thing.  

Haven't been able to get a reservation at Vernick, might just try to walk in at the bar, it looks kind of interesting. Otherwise maybe Serpico. It's much nicer to visit now that the kids can stay alone with the grandparents in the evenings. 

Stopped in at what I thought was a cafe near Rittenhouse, turned out to be some vegan gluten free soy free place. Granola with some odd coconut cream pseudo-yogurt, and a "cleansing" juice that tasted like burning. Actually I guess I kind of liked the juice. The kid had a brownie made with Adzuki beans. Which tasted like chocolate with adzuki beans. P.S. &Co. (had to look it up.) 

What else? Coffee awful everywhere, as usual. Bread never has a proper crust no matter how "rustic". Good beer selection from Local 44, always reliable. 

Oh, and Minella's diner in Wayne, for old times' sake. The kids ate a double order of waffles. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot