32 replies to this topic

#31 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

We loved Zahav. We stayed aat Loew's Philadelphia Hotel, original the PSFS Building, a national historic landmark that was the first International Style building constructed in the U.S., designed by Gordon Howe and Williams Lescaze. We found it comfortable as well as beautiful.

Thanks, but we're going to skip Solomonov's place this time around.  Not only is it very hard to get into, but he co-chef'fed a meal at La Vara this past year that was great & we're fine with having been to that.  Again, thanks (we might go look at the building though).

This space available… contact owner.

#32 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

We're thinking about spending a long weekend in Philly end of May, beginning of June.  Working on hotels and restaurants.  Anyone know anything about "Mr. Martino's Trattoria", "Le Virtu", or "Russet"?  

eta: just re-read another Philly thread and noticed that wingding liked Le Virtu several years ago.

Just saw your post. You probably have your plans set but thought I’d mention these restaurants we liked the last time we were in Philly: Kanella (Greek), Bibou (French bistro), and The Dandelion (British). We stayed at the Kimpton Palomar.

#33 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

We're thinking about spending a long weekend in Philly end of May, beginning of June.  Working on hotels and restaurants.  Anyone know anything about "Mr. Martino's Trattoria", "Le Virtu", or "Russet"?  

eta: just re-read another Philly thread and noticed that wingding liked Le Virtu several years ago.

Just got back from 4 days/nights in Philly.  Stayed at the Alexander Inn on 12th and Spruce.   Not much on water pressure and had a room a/c that was a little loud, and an elevator that was a little shaky.   But the location, charm and friendliness more than made up for it & we'd definitely stay again.  The city reminded me a lot of Bklyn and we walked everywhere.  Lots of walking.  We ate at Russet (ok enough, but the flavors didn't zing), Mr. Martino's Trattoria (a charming friendly place with very good home cooking), Effie's Greek Restaurant (again, good home cooking) & Le Virtu.  We'd go back to Mr. Martino and Effie's for good meals in warm, homey rooms, but we'd go back to Le Virtu for that plus some excellent cooking.  The pasta especially were great.  This was the only non-BYOB of the 4, but the bottle of Aglianico was reasonably priced at $45 so it remained very nicely priced.  All in all, a very good long weekend.  Ginny got to get me into museums, I got to city walk (I love doing that) in a new place & time flew by.  No cheesesteak, but a nice pastrami on rye from Herschel's Deli in the Reading Market.  Only their sports teams annoy me.

This space available… contact owner.