172 replies to this topic

#1 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:49 PM

Saying the New York Times is just a newspaper, is like saying the Grand Canyon is:

1. A large hole in the ground
2. David Gest's pet name for the other Liza
3. Not as good as Le Canyon Grande
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#2 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

Saying that the New York Times is not, well, the New York Times is like:

1. Defying gravity.
2. Sticking your tongue on a frozen metal pole.
3. Not reading the New York Times much.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 08:27 PM

Saying the New York Times is just a newspaper is like saying that:

Martha Stewart is just a shareholder

Jayson Blair is a just an exagerator

Mel Gibson is just an anti-semite.

Thank goodness for home delivery . . .

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:33 PM

I read it to find out what's happening on the web, because I don't have a computer.

Signed,

Specky Four Eyes, the Unimaginative Stereotype
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:48 PM

If not for home delivery of the New York Times I would be waiting around all day for it with nothing to read.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#6 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:53 PM

Don't ask me why, but going out to buy the Times in the morning is one of the longest running habits in my life. No way I'll make that call that Liza loves so much.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#7 Shermar

Shermar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

The blue bag starts my day. If only he would throw it closer to the door so I don't have to model my pj's for the neighbors!
Kitchen Kutie

FEED YOUR HEAD!

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:49 PM

You can "go out" to buy the Times? Are you sure that's safe? I mean, things are moving fast out there, and I wouldn't leave the house without a huge newspaper under my arm.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:49 PM

The blue bag starts my day. If only he would throw it closer to the door so I don't have to model my pj's for the neighbors!

Know what you mean. On a bad day I have to wedge open the door with a clog and limp down the stoop to whatever step it's landed on.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#10 stellabella

stellabella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:59 PM

i can't go to sleep at night til i've worked the crosssword.

#11 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:04 PM

On Sundays, we catch up on what we really love. He checks out the lingerie ads in the magazine; I make papier maché mobiles out of the Arts & Leisure section.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

It's now called "The Need to Know New York Times." Really. :(

"We're not ready for Monday unless we've read it on Sunday. If we haven't, we go straight back to Friday and start the weekend again. Or skip to Tuesday."

Metaphysically speaking:

"There is the New York Times, and then there's everything else."

How true that is. "There is the snail at the bottom of my garden, and then there's everything else."
Elect-a-lujah

#13 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

On Sunday mornings, we like to get fully decked out in our Patagonia and North Face all-weather gear, pile into our well-equipped SUV and drive aggressively along the golf-course studded lanes in our gated community. A scant 45 minutes later finds us in our preferred upscale shopping center where we can find ample parking in the 65 acre asphalt lot that rings our local Starbucks, or we can avail ourselves to the convenience of the drive-thru window service. Pulling into line behind no fewer than 40 other similarly equipped all-wheel drive, 12 passenger vehicles with more than 500 horsepower, we bask comfortably in our individualized climate control zones. Upon realizing our turn at the menu, we order non-fat, vanilla, sugar free, caramel, iced double venti lattes with no foam and of course a Sunday New York Times.

Home delivery is simply a creature comfort that this active couple doesn't require!

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,144 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:08 PM

What committee of clueless apparatchiks was responsible for the recent redesign of their website?

You get a few headlines, then a vast lonesome area devoted to on-line video. (If I wanted video, I'd go to CNN.) Then a big fat section called Inside Nytimes.com which looks like it highlights the pet projects of the editorial staff. Today we have a big profile of Jennifer Anniston and a giant plug for the new Times sports magazine called "Play." The lead article in Play is about the 2006 World Cup, a surefire way to pack in a a mass American audience. I guess the chess tournament season is in hiatus.

After scrolling down further we finally get to the news sections. Sort of. The genius web designers have settled on a serpentine design which runs from top to bottom and then from left to right, like a standard column of newsprint. That works for a story because I want to read it in sequence. It is pure stupidity for a web page layout because things like the Arts and Technology sections appear before the New York news.

I guarantee you that they thought this layout up without ever once testing on an actual member of the public.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#15 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

I don't get it at all. Where is the link that says "Continued on page C4?"

man, i need a headache