202 replies to this topic

#196 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,800 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

I've talked about this before.  But the whole point of internet bulletin boards is to repeat yourself, so:

There was this article this week about a topic I couldn't be more interested in:  how climate change is threatening prehistoric sites on the Orkney Islands.

In its web version, the article is accompanied by a series of big moving photographs.

At least on my big desktop screen, they nauseate me.  I mean literally:  the movement of the photos makes me nauseous.

I have to say, I've been to Skara Brae and other sites pictured.  Walking around them did not make me nauseous the way these moving photographs did.  (So yes, I'm happy to say, I did not vomit all over Skara Brae.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#197 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:15 AM

All the other guys did.

#198 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,800 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:32 AM

Considering how much people in the Orkneys drink, I wouldn’t be surprised.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#199 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

A very well-written (to this reader) article, and disturbing on so many levels...

The New German Anti-Semitism

#200 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

Bookmarked, need to read.

#201 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:05 PM

Exhaustive piece in the Times on the loss of music masters in the 2008 Universal backlot fire.  https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#202 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

As an often critic of the NY Times, it's only fair to praise the Grey Lady when it does a great job.

Yesterday's extensive piece on the saving of Notre Dame was outstanding - as brilliant a piece of journalism witnessed in a long time - Bravo!!!!

#203 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

As an often critic of the NY Times, it's only fair to praise the Grey Lady when it does a great job.

Yesterday's extensive piece on the saving of Notre Dame was outstanding - as brilliant a piece of journalism witnessed in a long time - Bravo!!!!

I was saying that to another friend - when they put together the graphics, videos, pictures, etc. in that way, they do a good job.