#91 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:28 PM

Re: NYTimes paywall

It used to be that you could read 10 articles per month for free. Plenty of ways around that (I normally use Twitter and Digg as newsfeeds, so I can open unlimited links through those), but just today, I found that I can only read 5 articles before having to log in to the website. Only then can I read my 5 remaining free articles. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if once I log in, the website will keep track of how many articles my account has accessed, and then limit me to only 10 free articles per account. That would bite.

#92 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

I use private browsing to view the site and still have the same 10 article limit.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#93 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

I only use private browsing (at work), and even with private browsing it only wants me to read 5 articles and then log in. I haven't tried it with regular browsing, yet.

Yesterday it was fine. Today, it's not. It might have something to do with my ISP being in Canada. I noticed in the pop up for me to log in, it offered me CA $1 for four weeks of subscription, then 50% off after that. Normally, the prices I get for subscription offers are in US$.

If I close this private browsing window, I can read 5 more articles, but it's a pita to close and open a new window every 5 articles. I liked my old system better where I could open as many links as I wanted with nary a blink from them.

#94 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

they keep giving me 12 weeks for 99 cents. i feel i'm overpaying but i can read hassle free

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#95 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

I read unlimited amounts both on line and in the paper copy delivered daily.  But, oh yeah, I pay for it … it's a business, right?

This space available… contact owner.

#96 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,956 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

I only use private browsing (at work), and even with private browsing it only wants me to read 5 articles and then log in. I haven't tried it with regular browsing, yet.

Yesterday it was fine. Today, it's not. It might have something to do with my ISP being in Canada. I noticed in the pop up for me to log in, it offered me CA $1 for four weeks of subscription, then 50% off after that. Normally, the prices I get for subscription offers are in US$.

If I close this private browsing window, I can read 5 more articles, but it's a pita to close and open a new window every 5 articles. I liked my old system better where I could open as many links as I wanted with nary a blink from them.

They changed it about a week ago. Part of trying to get more granular control on what they give away (or, some would contend, a way to give Facebook an edge as you can still get unlimited reads when you come from there vs google)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#97 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,222 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:59 PM

The Times is one of several major news sources negotiating to have Facebook host its content on FB's platform, so you won't need to come to the Times' site from Facebook.

Not completely up to date on how the deal is shaking out, and the details of how it will be monetized. But it will make the paywall kind of moot. For FB users.

#98 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

I haven't been having that problem at home (where I'm always logged in to the NYTimes site). At home I open links from either Digg or Twitter, and have never had a problem.

BUT, when I try to open links through FB, if I've already read at least 10 articles (by clicking a link from any website, not just FB), I'll get the paywall "You have read more than xx articles" and it will ask me to subscribe.

It's always been like that, though, not just now.

For some reason, I can no longer read Digg at work (it's not compatible with whatever version of IE we're up to now), and since I can't open links through Digg, I don't know if the same problem is happening. Social network sites (Twitter, FB, etc) are blocked at work, so I can't try opening links through those.

#99 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

Ben Brantley must be feeling really proud of himself today

Everybody’s a Bottom in Eric Tucker’s riotous production of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” in which a cast of five divides and multiplies like a troupe of stage-struck amoebas.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#100 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

the nytimes announces virtual reality on your phone. i think they should just try harder with their spelling , grammar and fact checking

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#101 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

Wait.  Let me get this straight.  You're gonna look at your phone with this?

googlecardboard.jpg?itok=qXUejLYQ

Bar Loser

MF Old

#102 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Wait.  Let me get this straight.  You're gonna look at your phone with this?

googlecardboard.jpg?itok=qXUejLYQ

that's google cardboard, son. 

~Jack Handey

#103 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

The battle for platform hosting is becoming exceptionally fierce.  I'm seeing limits on places when I use my Yahoo news server.  The Washington Post remains free and unlimited when I use my Amazon tablet (Bezos owns the paper), but costs $$ otherwise.

FaceBook, Google, Amazon, Yahoo, it's a jungle out there...

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#104 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:41 AM

The NYT magazine VR piece this weekend was great - it was an astonishingly engaging piece of reporting. I would highly recommend taking a look.

The "making of" for the older magazine cover is highly worth watching too - the segment with the helicopter was jaw-dropping.

I'm glad I didn't toss my Google Cardboard - I hadn't gotten any use out of it in some time until today.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#105 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

Now I have one of these boxes.

Great.

Bar Loser

MF Old