difara

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:34 PM

There is a nice but brief article / Q&A with the owner of Di Fara's in today's Times.

Di Fara's article

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

Nice little piece. It's clearly a labor of love. I note that the word "chowhound" seems to have entered the language, for good or ill. :lol:

Incidentally, because it hardly merits its own thread, I had a slice at Patsy's in East Harlem for the first time. Good crust - bubbly and charred - but the topping was nothing to rave about (it was a plain slice, but even so...).
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

I was wondering about that - I think the word "chowhound" existed already when Chowhound was founded.... no ?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

Interesting question. I think we have to concede the pre-existence of the term "mouthful".
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:51 PM

I think we have to concede the pre-existence of the term "mouthful".

Really ? Whaddat mean ? Is we talking Clintonese here ?

It's a lovely article. You can hear the man saying the words, and he sounds exactly like my late grandfather :lol:

I will maybe get there finally next week ...

#6 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:38 PM

No! I haven't eaten there yet. However, I noticed today that a branch is opening at the corner of West Houston and Macdougal, where Aggie's diner used to be. Anyone know anything about this?
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:50 PM

It's someone stealing the DiFara's good name! It's a fake and a phoney.

#8 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:58 PM

Hey, Omni, you're friends with these people. Please tell them they are out of their fucking minds if they allow this guy to dilute their good name. When I think about all the people who come to me and want to sue over nothing. This is grounds for an action for a permanent injunction. (By the way, I'm not soliciting business. I don't do this sort of work.)
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:11 AM

There are rumors flying all over the place. Don't believe anything yet. I'll let the situation chill out, and I'll call Dom and/or Maggie on Monday and find out what's going on.

Bear in mind that this is a family with plenty of issues. Who knows.

If SliceNYC is correct, I wouldn't be surprised. ranitidine, when I finally get you there, you'll see why.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#10 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:35 AM

It's someone stealing the DiFara's good name!  It's a fake and a phoney.

The Slice article does not pass a basic sniff test, and there is almost certainly something going on within the family. The story as reported is absurd. At this point, they are circling the wagons, regrouping, and putting out some crude disinformation, which Slice appears to be buying without some obvious and necessary scepticism.

I have absolutely no inside information, so I am going out on my own limb here.

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:44 AM

You may very well be right, marcus. Knowing that family and some of the issues, anything is possible. But as I said earlier, even the SliceNYC story might be true. We really don't know.

#12 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:57 PM

You may very well be right, marcus. Knowing that family and some of the issues, anything is possible. But as I said earlier, even the SliceNYC story might be true. We really don't know.

I couldn't find the DiFara's reference on the linked site. Could someone who read it post the substance of the story? Pretty please with fresh mozzarela on top.

#13 bonitobroth

bonitobroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:04 PM

The Slicey NY posts were pulled off the front page yesterday but you could still get to the original page if you had the direct URL. But now those pages are gone too. Which says to me there's more to this story.
"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:14 PM

You may very well be right, marcus.  Knowing that family and some of the issues, anything is possible.  But as I said earlier, even the SliceNYC story might be true.  We really don't know.

I couldn't find the DiFara's reference on the linked site. Could someone who read it post the substance of the story? Pretty please with fresh mozzarela on top.

Someone who's probably not entirely without connection to the family operating DiFara's is opening a manhattan (soho?) location. Everyone involved seems to be lying about it. I guess that's about it.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:20 PM

Orik that's completely unfair. All we know is that somebody is using the DiFara name on a place in Manhattan. SliceNYC interviewed the family who told them that these people came to them asking for help, and then turned around and used their name. We have no idea if that's true, or some variation on it is true, or whether a part of the family is involved and another part is not...we just don't know. We don't know if anybody is lying or not.