295 replies to this topic

#31 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:05 PM

Do you get frequent flyer miles, or discounts on future PL purchases when you use your PL card?
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#32 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:57 PM

scamhi you guessed right.

Paul you get to not pay cash, and a little flash in your wallet. Thass all.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#33 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Porterhouse (basically 2 steaks*) for three for lunch on Monday. Wasn't a bad meal, but it wasn't very good either. Yes (like last time we went in a big group), the meat was tender and well seared on outside, but don't they season the meat? The meat was very bland, indeed. (Is this still a bad year for steak? Cows are indoors and aren't eating grass or something?)

The fries were mediocre, and the creamed spinach had an unpleasant after-taste. I've got the feeling the ambiance (even though it's not very attractive) and the little expedition to get there make going there an adventure and could it be this influences one's evaluation? I've had better steak (ordered from Lobel's) at home.

I know one goes there simply for the steak, but that tomato and onion with steak sauce appetizer is piss poor.

* We were wondering if we could've had one, thicker steak for 3?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#34 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

Porterhouse (basically 2 steaks*) for three for lunch on Monday.  Wasn't a bad meal, but it wasn't very good either.  Yes (like last time we went in a big group), the meat was tender and well seared on outside, but don't they season the meat?  The meat was very bland, indeed.  (Is this still a bad year for steak?  Cows are indoors and aren't eating grass or something?)

That's an interesting question, yvonne.

Working backward, PL ages its steaks for something like 28 days, which would put the Forman women's visit to the wholesaler about March 20 or so. Assume a week or two from the slaughterhouse to the wholesaler (DeBragga and others).

I don't have a good sense of how long a steer spends on the feedlot anymore, it used to be about 3 months, as I recall. The steer probably came in off the range in October if it was raised in Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, etc. If it was raised in Florida or Texas, it likely stayed outside until it went to the feedlot.

EDIT: I also forgot to consider the impact of the Canadian beef restrictions into the US, and the impact of Japanese etc limits on US beef exports

Edited by Rail Paul, 21 April 2005 - 03:44 PM.

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:34 AM

Anybody have recent experiences at Peter Luger? By all accounts, the supply of prime beef has eased considerably in the past few months, which should help deliver quality beef to PL.

#36 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

I had an excellent lunch there today. Great flavor and texture, if just a touch overdone. But that wonderful, minerally, aged flavor was certainly present. A bone and handful of slices are in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#37 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

Try the spaghetti Bolognese at Peter Luger- it is one of the best in the city(Brooklyn). Chances are they will snarl at you for trying to order it-but as with most things in life if you don't ask-you don't get.

The dish is served peasant style- with pasta appropriately cooked al dente. And as most off-the-menu items started out as a staff meal. The combination of that famous Peter Lugers Dry aged beef and a hint of their famous bacon makes this dish without hesitation one of the more flavorful Bolognese sauces I have sampled this side of Emilia Romano.

Source
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#38 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:56 PM

Try the spaghetti Bolognese at Peter Luger- it is one of the best in the city(Brooklyn). Chances are they will snarl at you for trying to order it-but as with most things in life if you don't ask-you don't get.

The dish is served peasant style- with pasta appropriately cooked al dente. And as most off-the-menu items started out as a staff meal. The combination of that famous Peter Lugers Dry aged beef and a hint of their famous bacon makes this dish without hesitation one of the more flavorful Bolognese sauces I have sampled this side of Emilia Romano.

Source

That sounds like an entry in New Statesman's 'misleading advice for tourists' competitions.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#39 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

Won't know if I won 'til you try it, Gman.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#40 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:01 PM

Man, I'd try that in a heartbeat. Would be a good app to split between a few people, pre-steak.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#41 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

I might try it, but no pork or veal makes me immediately suspect. I ate a dish last week with all beef. It just tasted wrong. Ya gotta have the wine and cream also.

Bacon sounds good, though. Pancetta maybe better.

As Jin says; One has to try. I'll reserve further judgement till then.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#42 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:01 PM

Yes, I just thought since it wasn't on the menu, people might like to know they could get it.

#43 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

I might try it, but no pork or veal makes me immediately suspect. I ate a dish last week with all beef. It just tasted wrong. Ya gotta have the wine and cream also.

Bacon sounds good, though. Pancetta maybe better.

As Jin says; One has to try. I'll reserve further judgement till then.

The pancetta/bacon divide is also evident in renditions of spaghetti alla carbonara. One trail of stories attributes the origin of the dish to the appetite of American soldiers in Rome for bacon and eggs. Another trail leads back to the carbonari - coal miners. Some writers accurately point out that Italians do not have a strong taste for smoked meat. as opposed to cured. Both are good.

Marcella cooks her Bolognese in milk before the tomatoes are added. Cream is good too.

On the topic, my last steak at Lugers, about six weeks ago, was subpar. I envy those who get a good one. It seems to be hit or miss.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#44 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:25 AM

.Marcella cooks her Bolognese in milk before the tomatoes are added. Cream is good too.

Marcella is my jumping off point. My current recipe/method was inspired by and is a definite riff on 'Classic...' I use cream because the milk tends to 'break' in the sauce.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#45 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

On the topic, my last steak at Lugers, about six weeks ago, was subpar. I envy those who get a good one. It seems to be hit or miss.

How was it subpar?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.