4 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

What it is and recipes for it, if you dare, or deign.

The founder's great-grandson, who didn't have a taste for the family business.

#2 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:42 AM

Freirich also produces whole cooked (calves?) tongues which I've had. I remember them from my childhood. As a kid I always thought it was weird to see a whole tongue folded in half and back, inside a plastic bag in a supermarket case. Didn't stop me from loving it, though.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:08 AM

The tongues are whole smoked tongues. And I find them outrageously expensive.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:27 AM

The tongues are whole smoked tongues. And I find them outrageously expensive.

They make both. Cooked and smoked. The cooked can be used right out of the cryo. I think the smoked requires some sort of cooking. Cooked tongue is a pretty expensive item, but they're tasty.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

Yeah, but when I can get it at a small fraction of the price easily in Greenpoint, Brighton Beach, etc....I just can't plonk down that money for an overly salty thing that's been sitting on a supermarket shelf wrapped in plastic for god knows how long.

And making boiled tongue is just about the easiest thing on earth...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid