69 replies to this topic

#1 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Where can I get pots and kitchenware on the cheap? I could care less about their appearance as long as a) they're durable, b) they're of good quality and c) not absurdly overpriced a la BB & B. Has to be close to my UES apartment. I thought about Broome & Wooster but I don't want to schlep halfway across Manhattan.

Oh, and a fourth criteria is that the shop has to be open late because I'm heading there tonight after work to pick up a few things. Namely a cutting board, a good knife, a ceramic baking dish and a couple of other items.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

Amazon often has excellent deals on pots and pans. Sometimes the deals only last for a day or two.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

Fridays are a good day to check out Amazon. That's when they run their all-day specials.

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:41 PM

Where can I get pots and kitchenware on the cheap? Has to be close to my UES apartment.

Don't these two factors cancel each other out?

I believe there is a sale at Gracious Home.

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

Even with a sale, Gracious Home is very expensive.

Try Bed Bath & Beyond. They have plenty of basic, reasonably priced stuff. It's on 1st Ave. around 60th St.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

For once, the schlep is worth it. Chelsea Markets is the place for you, or possibly Sur le Table (see thread).
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

If you want the best quality (Le Creuset, good knives, blah blah) and the best prices in the city, Zabar's is it. There is no place that sells the good quality stuff for cheaper. And yes, I am very sure. And when Zabar's puts something on sale, it's especially better prices.

80th St/B'way. I don't know when the upstairs closes, but they have a website. So does BB&B. You can compare.

86th St. crosstown bus is your friend. 79th St. crosstown bus too.

You want something basic like Farberware - functional and cheap - BB&B will have it, and it's on the UES. But Zabar's will have something equivalent, and it will be cheaper still.

And the staff upstairs at Zabar's really knows their merchandise, and makes good suggestions.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

I got curious.

Le Creuset 3.5 qt round pot is $150 at Sur Le Table, and it's $89.98 at Zabar's, in blue. The other colors are $137.98 at Zabar's.

http://www.surlatabl...m?PRRFNBR=15519

http://shop.zabars.c...umpTo=OfferList

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

Broadway Panhandler - all colors of the 3.5qt are $149.95.

http://www.broadwayp.....t_RoundOvens

#10 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

Amazon often has excellent deals on pots and pans. Sometimes the deals only last for a day or two.

Amazon.com?

#11 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

If you want the best quality (Le Creuset, good knives, blah blah) and the best prices in the city, Zabar's is it.  There is no place that sells the good quality stuff for cheaper.  And yes, I am very sure.  And when Zabar's puts something on sale, it's especially better prices.

80th St/B'way.  I don't know when the upstairs closes, but they have a website.  So does BB&B.  You can compare.

86th St. crosstown bus is your friend.  79th St. crosstown bus too.

You want something basic like Farberware - functional and cheap - BB&B will have it, and it's on the UES.  But Zabar's will have something equivalent, and it will be cheaper still.

And the staff upstairs at Zabar's really knows their merchandise, and makes good suggestions.

I lived two blocks away from Zabar's for two months and never ever knew they had an upstairs. :lol:

ok, I'll check it out. will report back.

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Check the closing times. I think the upstairs closes earlier than the downstairs.

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

I've bought a ton of stuff at Bridge KitchenwareBridge Kitchenware, 45th and 3rd. Although I don't know whether the prices are good.

#14 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

nice pot, that Le Creuset.

this is a studio apartment, it's mostly basic stuff. I'm in effect starting from scratch. my kitchen (I'm almost afraid to take a picture) is the size of a bathroom. I've done some funky magic in some postage-stamp sized kitchens before but never did I imagine I'd be living in an apartment with one.

a neighbor was having a moving sale the other day. got a blender and a saucepot for $20.

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

Bridge's prices are all over the map. Not reliably good prices. When they had the old space, the upstairs was always full of unbelievable bargains, but that's gone now.