Items for sale will include

Lamb Racks 2.25 lb avg @ $33.50 each

Whole Poussin @ $3.28 each

Whole Quail 4 pack @ $7.00 each

Wild Boar Shoulder 5.5 lb avg @ $28.00 each

D'Artagnan, Inc.
280 Wilson Avenue
Newark, NJ 07105

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 pete ganz

pete ganz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

Their warehouse is 15 minutes from me. I am all over that wild boar shoulder. Thanks.

#3 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

Thanks, SF! Pete, I'm with you on the boar.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#4 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

ROAD TRIP!
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#5 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

Tangential, yes, but if you're coming out to NJ, consider a stop at Stokes Farm - they just opened their new 7000 sq. ft greenhouse and are open 7 days a week, 9-6.
23 De Wolf Road
Old Tappan, NJ
201-768-3931
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:44 PM

For those of us without our own wheels, the #25 bus from the Newark PATH/NJT/Amtrak station supposedly takes under 10 minutes. $1.25 exact change.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

NJ Transit #25 bus schedule

The NJ Transit #1 bus from Jersey City to Newark also passes nearby.

For drivers from the Jersey City area, the Wilson Avenue exit from US 1-9 (Skyway) is the best alternative
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

How does NJT feel about shopping carts on their busses (the boxy kind I use to get my groceries home, not the supermarket behemoths)? Or even just open cartons on luggage schleppers?

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

How does NJT feel about shopping carts on their busses (the boxy kind I use to get my groceries home, not the supermarket behemoths)? Or even just open cartons on luggage schleppers?

You might want to give their customer service people a call and ask. I have seen people at the busstop with those two-wheel handcarts many times, so my guess is it's OK.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#10 pete ganz

pete ganz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

Apparently you can now get the special warehouse sale prices online.

#11 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

The quail, whole foie, and some of the boar items are tempting. Shipping makes it not so tempting.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

Sale on now, until 4 pm today and from 10am to 4pm tomorrow.

Got back a little while ago, with about 25 pounds of assorted meats and poulty (all frozen). There were virtually no other customers there -- just a family waiting to pick up their order while I decided on mine, which meant that my only wait was while they picked my stuff from the freezer.

You take an order form and fill in how many you want of whichever items, hand it in, they pick it from the freezer and bring it in cartons to the loading dock where you are waiting (inside). They log the order, you pay (cash or credit card) and you're on your way. Very nice people to deal with.

A word of warning if you go by public transportation via Newark Penn Station. Make sure you get the #25 bus heading toward Doremus Ave or the Essex County Correctional Facility, NOT the one labeled "Springfield Avenue/Maplewood." Totally opposite direction. The correct bus takes you straight down Market to Ferry Street (the Ironbound), then onto Wilson Avenue and stops almost directly in front of D'Artagnan (you enter through the parking lot at the far end of the block). Oh, and the bus takes $1 bills plus change, so you don't need a pocketful of quarters.

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:37 AM

I know we're all supposed to be abandoning D'Artagnan for Fossil, but D'Artagnan seemingly can read my mind.  Like, just when I'm thinking how much I'd like to mess with their Salt Meadow Lamb at home, I get an email telling me they're selling off their remaining seasonal stock at 30% off.

I got a belly.  I think I see another Poitrine d'Agneau Sainte Ménéhould in my immediate future.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

I haven't abandoned them either; I still find some of their product quite good, and I like their sales.

I saw this sale yesterday, but I was too late to grab a couple of loins.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

I feel stupid, but I had thought lamb breast and belly were different things. I've always bought lamb breast, and only ever had "belly" in restaurants.