42 replies to this topic

#1 Elissa

Elissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

Admittedly, that's kind of a cheap shot considering I haven't really eaten there, but we have to sell papers somehow and snarky nastiness seems as good a way as any. Last night though, before heading to Infernal Affairs at the Angelika, we ducked in to the former Canteen, now Lure, for a couple drinks and a few tiny plates at the raw bar. Though beautifully presented, compared to the incredibly well-appointed place itself, the food seemed a relative afterthought. Yet if you're a sucker for the understated elegance of the teak, navy and white leather of luxury yachts, as I unreservedly am, then you'll agree that this is simply a stunning space. Feels as if they funneled about $30M into the decor. Really would be a shame if this goes the way of all the other places that have been in this space over the last decade.

Our wee bites:

Five cubes of arctic char on a checkerboard of dill puree with dollops of creamy horseradish topped by trout roe and specks of crispy-fried char skin. Though perfectly fresh and a fine melange of textures, the horseradish cream all but drowned the fish. That would proove a consistent theme in our rawbar tastes: wonderful fish in gorgeous presentations overwhelmed by gobs of too-creamy or sweet goo.

Second: five yellowtail slices with half-domes of a lemon and jalapeno jam and baby mint leaf. Fish again, lovely once liberated from the sweet jam, which was reasonably interesting, yes, but far too plentiful as served. A quarter of the amount would have sufficed: a half-grape's worth on what would be a small piece of sashimi made the fish all but imperceptible.

Chef sent out tastes (2) of yellowfin tuna cubes with slivers of hot chili peppers under olive oil brulee. Again: fairly smothered in all that creamy nonsense, but the chili and tuna were indeed tasty without quite such imposing slabs of whatever it is 'olive oil brulee' actually consists.

Most favored of our little bites: three slices of lobster bruschetta. Toasted sourdough rubbed with roast garlic under seemingly close to raw, incredibly tasty lobster with chili dust. This one won us over.

As mentioned, the tuna was a gift; we each had 2 drinks - me a Huber Gruner and my friend (and fellow MFer) beer - and when came the bill: $100. Very pretty, though.
i find it wildly amusing because i'm mildly drunk. -helena

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:04 PM

Thanks. It sounds like it might be an OK-to-good place to have a post-Soho shopping casual bite and tipple. I have been walking past and wondering about it, but dismissed it out of hand because of the taint of Canteen and its ilk. Nice to have my misconceptions shattered, at least partially.

I love that Prada store when it's not too crowded. It's like walking around in a space ship.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:38 PM

Of course, there's the good-to-very-good Noho Star close by, but sometimes a girl just needs to pretend she's sitting on a yacht, instead of under Mercer Street. :D
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#4 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:43 PM

Crudo here,crudo there...and too few ladeedas'....Not many chefs doing 'crudo' seem to understand that less is more with the accents,and after eating variations on the theme at Esca,Craft,Hearth,Cru,and other meals that I've forgotten,I have to opine that it rarely holds a candle to well made sushi...LeBernadin excepted.Scott Conant is just opening a raw bar on Cleveland Place this week.I'll give Crudo one more shot.
Stung by Nettles

#5 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

Elissa has it pretty well covered. It really is a shame that they're mucking up the fish like that. The flavors of the other ingredients are so strong that the fish is really pointless.

Beautiful room though.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

I went to Lure the other night. It's down on Mercer Street, across from Fanellis. It just reopened after the building suffered a fire back in January.

I sat at the sushi bar with some food-business friends and was again treated to an offensive quantity of excellent fish. Various types of tuna, salmon (smoked and raw), mackeral, roe sacs, eel/uni combos, etc. All of it was delicious. One of the best surprises was a deviled egg topped with a large dollop of caviar.

The sushi chef, Mr. Tanaka, showed us his knives and his authentic wasabi grater -- the root is grated against a thin sheet of shark skin glued onto a board. He is definitely from the authentic school -- the pieces were all bite-sized.

The restaurant has a subtle "marine" theme. The ceiling is bowed a bit to look like we're inside a large yacht. None of it was obstrusive or silly. The restaurant was only about 1/3 full, but I will note for Wilfrid's sake that almost every woman in the place was stunning. In fact, we were discussing whether one was a Victoria's Secret model.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

Thank you. And just for that I corrected the spelling of Fanelli's.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

Why didn't you post this last week?
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:31 PM

Are you upset that you missed out on the sushi or the women? :lol:

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

Merged with earlier thread, which had a title now out-of-date - I think - because of the relocation.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

Merged with earlier thread, which had a title now out-of-date - I think - because of the relocation.

OOps - apparently not. Sorry.
Elect-a-lujah

#12 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

You have no idea how much you're taxing my self-control here. :lol:

Are you upset that you missed out on the sushi or the women? :lol:

Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#13 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:42 AM

Thanks to Stone's positive write-up of Lure, I dropped in for a dinner at the sushi bar tonight. Tanaka-san is a wonderful sushi chef and he appreciates people who truly enjoy sushi. A very charming guy.

Tanaka-san in the Post
Blurb

I had several kinds of sashimi and the fish was very fresh. Salmon was particularly good as was the chu and o toro. Other sashimi included fluke, hamachi, tuna, sea bass and a fish he couldn't remember the name of in English. Also had a salmon and salmon roe handroll. A delicious end to a wonderful meal.

Lure is a good looking restaurant and the service was fine but Tanaka's winning personality and wonderful way with sushi make this a place worth going out of your way for. The sushi bar is in the back of the restaurant so it is like a restaurant within a restaurant.

I sat next to a sake importer and her colleagues and it was fun to talk sake with someone in the business. I believe he gets fish deliveries from Japan on Thursday and Friday.

Highly recommended. They take reservations too! :(

#14 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Of course, there's the good-to-very-good Noho Star close by, but sometimes a girl just needs to pretend she's sitting on a yacht, instead of under Mercer Street. :(

off thread, but what have you had that is good there? i was underwhelmed several times and stopped going.

man, i need a headache

#15 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Meant to add that Tanaka-san grates fresh wasabi right in front of you.

The manager came by several times to check on everyone at the sushi bar to see that they had everything they needed. Everyone was very pleasant and accomodating. I had to ask for water refills but would not consider this a noteworthy glitch. The waitresses and the other countermen were Japanese as were some of the customers a the sushi bar. The bar seats about 9 - Tanaka is in the middle and the guy who makes the maki rolls is on the left.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SoHo