We did it again.

#5492 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:07 AM

How much money have you guys got to spend on this team?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5493 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

How much money have you guys got to spend on this team?

Here's the difference between George Steinbrenner and his son Hal.

Both will spend like drunken sailors but Hal gets buyer's remorse if the players don't perform.  George just spent some more.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5494 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Is Miami a farm team for the Yankees?  I recall when the Bombers had a favorable relationship with the As.  Where's Finley when Miami needs him?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5495 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman are going to be calling Yankee games for another year.  Their contract was just renewed.  The worst announcers in New York inexplicably retain their jobs.

sterling-web.1.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5496 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

"I've still got a job ?!?!?!"

sterling.png

#5497 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:05 AM

If only life was long enough to listen. You did prove to me that they're hilarious.

Meanwhile, all the Mikes are running out on us sports fans (Greenberg, Francesca).

#5498 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:11 AM

Sabathia is coming back for another year.  Good.

This space available… contact owner.

#5499 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

If only life was long enough to listen. You did prove to me that they're hilarious.

Unless you're driving and it's either Sterling/Waldman or nothing I can't think of a good reason to listen.

But I can think of a snarky reason. Watch a game in a favorite bar with people who might think Sterling was funny. Get the bar to turn down the TV sound and put on the radio.  You'll be in the mood to laugh because they're serving drinks.  Other Yankee fans will laugh too. 

It will get old after 15 minutes but people will get a kick out of it.

#5500 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

I happened to be in the car running errands the past couple of days. When I'm alone, I generally listen to WFAN, or blast The Clash, etc. Brings me back to my Silicon Valley days, pre cell phone, on the morning or evening commutes, when it was sports talk radio or loud music (and with a nod to Sneakeater - as if anyone cares).

Anyway, the 10 A.M. - 1 P.M. slot was being covered by John Sterling, as the usual hosts for that slot were covering the Francesca afternoon slot.  The number of calls extolling Sterlings' virtues was astounding. Plenty of calls suggesting home run calls for Stanton. Etc. Etc.

And strangely enough, Sterling wasn't half-bad doing talk radio.  And I had no idea, but he was at the forefront of the genre here in NYC - he started doing sports radio talk on WMCA in 1972! Go figure.

#5501 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

I am stunned.  Who knew?

Then I realized that this is yet another example of the Peter Principle in action.

Observation that in an hierarchy people tend to rise to "their level of incompetence." Thus, as people are promoted, they become progressively less-effective because good performance in one job does not guarantee similar performance in another. Named after the Canadian researcher Dr. Laurence J. Peter (1910-90) who popularized this observation in his 1969 book 'The Peter Principle.'

#5502 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

I learned all about the Peter Principle in Silicon Valley. 

First, in business school at San Jose State, and then in real life, at AMD, Novell, Data East, and various other companies long since gone or absorbed.

#5503 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

I learned all about the Peter Principle in Silicon Valley. 

First, in business school at San Jose State, and then in real life, at AMD, Novell, Data East, and various other companies long since gone or absorbed.

I first read the Peter Principle in college.  It rang true to me but I didn't have the life experience to appreciate just how accurate it was.  I re-read it about 20 years later and realized just how great the book was.

Years later I was working at the United Nations, the definition of a giant bureaucracy.  It worked reasonably well but it had it's dead spots where ideas went to die.  One day I was killing time before a meeting started by telling my boss, a really smart person who was a 20 year UN veteran, all about the Peter Principle.  She thought it was great and I promised to give her my dog eared copy of the book

I couldn't find it and she wound up buying her own copy because she couldn't wait.  A week later we had a 30 minute conversation about it.  She had about 20 examples of the Principle in action.  She loved it.

#5504 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Here we go again :unsure: Snake bitten Greg Bird to undergo yet another ankle surgery to remove a small broken spur, and will miss up to two months. That Neil Walker deal looks better each day. Hopefully Tyler Austin can take advantage of his second chance.

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#5505 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

I never thought I'd be posting this.  From CBS Sports:

MLB payroll leaders for 2018: Red Sox to pass Dodgers with highest payroll in baseball, Yankees seventh
Also, the Yankees' payroll continues to decline

The Associated Press has undertaken an analysis of likely Opening Day payrolls, and the Boston Red Sox are expected to knock the Los Angeles Dodgers out of the top spot, where the Dodgers have been for the last four years. Via the AP, here are the projected top five Opening Day payrolls for 2018 (payroll figures are approximate) ...

Red Sox: $223 million
Giants: $203 million
Cubs: $183 million
Dodgers, Nationals: $180 million

Next is the Angels at $170 million and then the Yankees at $167 million. As the AP notes, that figures to be the Yankees' lowest payroll since 2003 -- quite a feat, considering how MLB payrolls at the top tend to inflate -- and their lowest payroll ranking since way back yonder in 1992.

This is all by design, of course. The new Collective Bargaining Agreement between owners and players significantly increases the penalties for teams that exceed the $197 million competitive balance tax threshold (informally known as the luxury tax threshold), especially for repeat "offenders." By getting under the threshold for 2018, the Yankees and Dodgers will be able to reset their penalty scale in anticipation of spending big money on the free agent class of 2018-19 that will include the likes of Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, and Clayton Kershaw (should the ace choose to exercise his opt-out). As for the Yankees, they were able to get under the threshold despite adding to the fold Giancarlo Stanton, Brandon Drury, and Neil Walker this past offseason.

As for the Red Sox, in 2018 they've got almost $100 million committed to just four players: David Price, the newly signed J.D. Martinez, Hanley Ramirez, and Dustin Pedroia. As well, if Hanley Ramirez's $22 million option vests, then the Sox will have more than $150 million in long-term salary for 2019.