131 replies to this topic

#1 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

A full sized, 8-10 megapixel camera with good lenses. So far I like the Canon EOS models. The new Sony SLR with built in image stabilization is attractive. The Canon Digital Rebel seems a good value, marked down from $1500 to $700.

Thoughts?
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:56 AM

I can't help with a dslr, but you may want to look at the reviews and user's comments, as well as the forums on d dpreview.

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:43 AM

Why do you want a dslr?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:21 AM

the canon and nikon models in that range are both very good. the biggest differentiator is ergonomics, imho, and that depends on what fits in your hand personally. (i.e. you should go to the store and see what feels right.)

man, i need a headache

#5 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:50 AM

Why do you want a dslr?

For the same reason I used an SLR for 35 MM film. Picture quality. I have a very good tiny camera that serves its purpose, but I want to get more "serious" about taking pictures. The DSLR has interchangable lenses, image stability conrol, higher pixel counts, more user controls.

Actually, I need a new toy and that is at the top of my list. :)
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:51 AM

How much to you want to spend?

Does that $700 sale price include a lens, or is it body only?

Okay, stupid me. The EOS Rebel body (K2 model) is $149 at Abe's of Maine. T2 model is $184.

Canon Rebel T2 Camera w/ Canon 28-105 4-5.6 Lens Kit = $300

Canon EOS Elan 7NE Camera w/ 28-105 4-5.6 Lens Kit = $455

EOS Elan 7NE Camera w/ Sigma 28-70 2.8-4.0 & 70-300 Bonus Lens Kit = $580

Etc. etc.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

Those are film cameras, Omni. MT wants a digital SLR.

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:00 PM

Those are film cameras, Omni. MT wants a digital SLR.

Oy vey what a dingbat. I forgot to click on digital.

But the Abe's of Maine site is a good resource, nonetheless.

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

Why do you want a dslr?

A perfectly valid reason, but not one that will necessarily make you a better photographer.

I am amazed at the high quality of the photographs on dpreview taken by amateurs with all kinds of digital cameras. I think the advent of digital photography has raised the bar. It used to be said, only partly tongue in cheek, that the major difference between amateur and professional photographers was that professionals take more pictures. Now, amateurs have the means to waste just as many shots while trying to get the perfect one and it shows.

The one thing that I think is really superior on a dslr compared with a point and shoot (even one like the A6x0 with aperture and other controls) is the ease with which one can control depth of field. If you want a subject in focus and a blurry background, it's not the easiest thing to achieve without a dslr unless you are shooting in macro mode.

n.b. While the opinions of other people can suggest models to look it, there is no substitute for handling the camera yourself. No matter how good the pictures are, if the controls are awkward for you or the grip is uncomfortable, the camera will just sit in the drawer. My suggestion is to look at the specs on dpreview, pick three cameras that sound promising and go to B & H or J & R and handle them before buying anything.

#10 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Why do you want a dslr?

A perfectly valid reason, but not one that will necessarily make you a better photographer.

I am amazed at the high quality of the photographs on dpreview taken by amateurs with all kinds of digital cameras. I think the advent of digital photography has raised the bar. It used to be said, only partly tongue in cheek, that the major difference between amateur and professional photographers was that professionals take more pictures. Now, amateurs have the means to waste just as many shots while trying to get the perfect one and it shows.

The one thing that I think is really superior on a dslr compared with a point and shoot (even one like the A6x0 with aperture and other controls) is the ease with which one can control depth of field. If you want a subject in focus and a blurry background, it's not the easiest thing to achieve without a dslr unless you are shooting in macro mode.

n.b. While the opinions of other people can suggest models to look it, there is no substitute for handling the camera yourself. No matter how good the pictures are, if the controls are awkward for you or the grip is uncomfortable, the camera will just sit in the drawer. My suggestion is to look at the specs on dpreview, pick three cameras that sound promising and go to B & H or J & R and handle them before buying anything.

Good advice which I will take. Thanks. I am narrowing the search down to the Nikon D50 or 70 and the Canon EOS Digital Rebel, both with Image Stability Control in the lenses.

#11 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

Does anyone know if the Canon digital SLRs take the same lenses as the film versions?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#12 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

Does anyone know if the Canon digital SLRs take the same lenses as the film versions?

I am assuming they do, but plan to ask :) .

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

They do.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#14 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

They do.

yes, but you can't use every film lens in existence with your new digital camera. some oldish lenses may not work. at least it's that way with nikons. check the manual.

man, i need a headache

#15 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:34 AM

All EF series lenses work on Canon digitals. The same cannot be said of all current generation Nikkor lenses. Canon also makes some digital specific lenses that will not work in film cameras. That said, I have a Rebel XT and I am very happy with it. Excellent burst mode, pretty intelligent processor, and it's very friendly for beginners to DSLR as well as offering most options that you would want for full on manual shooting. One of my few quibbles is anything above ISO 1600 gets pretty grainy when shooting full manual. Great battery life too.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant