40 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

We are joining my fraternity brother again on his large houseboat on Lake Powell, along with a few other people. I am told that a new Weber Genesis grill has been installed. Menus already planned include the usual grilled chicken, leg of lamb, flank steak, etc.

Suggestions are invited for menu ideas, especially for the grill. The boat has a fully equipped kitchen. The situation is sort of a cross between camping out and living in Venice: everything has to be brought in and taken out, but everything is available. We are out there for seven nights. Ideas for cocktail foods and lunch salads would be helpful as well.

We'll also be spending a few nights at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, looking for Jack, or trying to avoid him, between hikes in the Park.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#2 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

Excuse the stupid question. Where is Lake Powell? Venice?
"I mispoke."

#3 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Lake Powell was created and continues in controversy over the damming of Glen Canyon, a spectacularly beautiful place that also happens to be sacred to the Navajo. Whatever your position on the dam, I need to know what I'm going to eat.

Lake Powell

#4 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

Hum.... Lake Powell.... Stark beauty. A startling sight to those of us that picture all lakes abutting green and wooded land. But Lake Powell is surrounded by rocks in various shades of reds and amber. Impossible, really. As though it exists only in the imagination of George Lucas.

But there it is.

Posted Image

On to more practical considerations....

How many people are going? How many children/adults? How much storage space will you have? Can you put into Del Webb's Marina (for example) and take on more supplies, or are you hoping to carry it all with you from the gitgo? How many people are responsible for the cooking? Clean up? How many meals will you personally be resonsible for? All of the meal or just the mains? Are you looking for primarily simple stuff so that you won't spend a lot of time cooking, or are you hoping to dazzle them with your culinary prowess?

The Voice of America

#5 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

I've got a friend who's done the houseboat on lake Powell for a number of years...some spectacular scenery.

I've never been; but what kind of access will you have to fresh fruit, produce, meat, etc..or do you need to provision for 7 days?

With a full kitchen (galley :) ) you should be able to cook about anything you like. Bring any spices or condiments that you like to eat.

#6 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

Ideas for cocktail foods and lunch salads would be helpful as well.

A Salade Nicoise springs to mind.

Though I've yet to visit, Despana seems like it would be a good place for galley supplies.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#7 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

How many people are going? How many children/adults? How much storage space will you have? Can you put into Del Webb's Marina (for example) and take on more supplies, or are you hoping to carry it all with you from the gitgo? How many people are responsible for the cooking? Clean up? How many meals will you personally be resonsible for? All of the meal or just the mains? Are you looking for primarily simple stuff so that you won't spend a lot of time cooking, or are you hoping to dazzle them with your culinary prowess?

Seven or eight adults, Jaymes. No children. About half experienced, engaged eaters, the other half well, not.

Although we tow a speedboat, and we could go back to one of the marinas (Bullfrog is closest), we pack it all in from the start. Besides, there's no Sam's Club or Whole Foods or farmers' market anywhere nearby. Once we're out there, we're out there.

One person preps and one person cooks the entree each night. Mazal manages the kitchen. Anyone who's been to our house knows that's a good idea. I will probably man the grill two or three nights, as I do most of my drinking at the table, not before. Help is available for sides and for appetizers and cocktail food. Who doesn't cook, cleans up.

Simple is best. Your salsa is already on the menu. Other southwest/texmex/Mexican ideas would be welcomed.

I am preparing a package of things, sausages, salami, kosher dogs, whatever catches my eye at Russ & Dtrs or Di Palo's or the Hungarian.

I haven't thought about pastas. Baking bread is one thing that wouldn't be practical, although flatbreads and pizzas on the grill are a possibility.

Love to hear your ideas.

#8 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

what kind of access will you have to fresh fruit, produce, meat, etc..or do you need to provision for 7 days?

Yes, we will bring all the fresh fruits and vegetables with us. Coloado has great peaches and they will be ready, for example. It's quite a production, the caravan down from Denver.

#9 fml

fml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

what kind of access will you have to fresh fruit, produce, meat, etc..or do you need to provision for 7 days?

Yes, we will bring all the fresh fruits and vegetables with us. Coloado has great peaches and they will be ready, for example. It's quite a production, the caravan down from Denver.

You already know Colorado west slope peaches are wonderful; the watermelon and canteloupe are also out of this world. So's Olathe corn.

#10 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

Thinking....but just off the top of my head, I'd suggest some meats for the grill that benefit from marinating in large plastic ziplock bags. Like ribs. And maybe an Asian night with bulgogi. I do mine on the bbg grill outside and it's always a huge hit. I don't cut it into those small slivers. I'll tell you how I do it, if you're interested.

And some fixin's that are good with fish, if there are possibilities you'll catch any. Are you even trying?

It's also been my experience that you can't go wrong with a large baked ham. Good for dinner one night, and also good to fry up for breakfasts, lunchtime sandwiches, and to nibble on througout the day. (Again, I have a particularly good recipe. Surprised? )

Several homemade pound cakes? They freeze well and travel well, and are good for toasting in the morning and having with coffee, then for dessert with strawberries or those fresh peaches you mentioned.

How about peach sangria? Easy and wonderful. You could mix it up before you go and then one night while you're floating around under the stars, add the sliced peaches and serve.

I always make some gazpacho before I go on an outing like that. Keep it cold in the fridge, and you can add some last-minute crunchy stuff, like celery, green peppers, onions (which you've already chopped up and brought in small ziplock bags), and pour it into paper cups for easy serving and little to no washing up.

Another thing that's cool and good is tabuli.

The Voice of America

#11 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:02 PM

Many thanks. fml, I will look for the melons and I'm intrigued by the corn.

As usual, Jaymes hits the nail on the head. There is already a big ham of some kind on the list. Flank steak and leg of lamb will be marinated. Chicken will be brined.

Nobody fishes. Mazal will be doing some fly fishing in Rocky Mountain National Park before we get to the lake, but no fishing for us on the lake. We will bring frozen shrimp and smoked fish, though!

I like both the pound cakes and sangria ideas. Mazal makes some really good oatmeal walnut chocolate chip cookies, too.

Last time, I requested rice salad, an Italian favorite. Everyone got tired of it except me. Tabbouleh is a good idea.

#12 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:07 PM

How about some MREs and a case of Tequila?
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#13 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

How about some MREs and a case of Tequila?

This describes the provisions on about 95% of the houseboats on the lake. It wasn't until the first time we did this that I learned the expression "handle" for a large bottle of booze, as in, "We need three more handles of vodka."

#14 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

Here you go....

Peach Sangria

2 ripe peaches, peeled & sliced (in winter, I use frozen)
1 lemon, sliced thinly, seeds removed
1 orange, sliced thinly, seeds removed
3 T sugar (or to taste, depending on size of lemon)
1/4 C Peach Schnaaps
750 ml dry white wine (about the size of one standard bottle)

Combine all and chill well, at least one hour. Serves two very jovial people at two generous glasses each.

As is immediately apparent, there is no brandy, so this is a pleasant, light, fresh-tasting summertime drink.

And on occasion I have, at the end of the evening, fished out any remaining peaches (now wonderfully marinated) and served them over pound cake and ice cream for dessert.

The Voice of America

#15 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

Been thinking...

Maybe some carne guisada, carne seca, or other stewed Mexican meat, tortillas, those 'add water' packages of dried refried beans, some avocados, grated cheese, and other stuff to make a throw-together Mexican meal.

Or one of those recipes for a layered Mexican dip. They're always very popular. I've got one that calls for cooked, crumbled and drained chorizo in addition to the usual refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, salsa, etc. You could preassemble much of it, and then add the fresh toppings right before serving.

The Voice of America