40 replies to this topic

#16 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

I like to have salami, olives, pickles and hot peppers around for snacks. A vinegar (not mayo) slaw is nice to have.

Obviously I don't know the boat, but refrigerator, freezer space and ice are often strained..especially for 8 people on a 7 day trip...so think towards things that don't need to be kept real cold..seems obvious but try to consume the most perishable things first. Generators rarely break down ; but when they do, it's usually when it's very hot out :)

Have fun; it sounds like a great trip.

#17 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

If you plan for leftovers with the grilled lamb, I love to thaw frozen bread dough and grill it in rounds, and tuck in slices of lamb. Some cucumber and a simple yogurt/mint/garlic sauce season the sandwich nicely, or a marinated tomato salad can be an alternative accompaniment.

Lunch salad ideas include a Southwestern “succotash” salad, greens, bottled dressing for simplicity, kidney beans, corn, jalapeno jack cheese chunks, chopped red bell peppers, chopped cilantro and ground cumin.

A simple tuna and white bean salad can serve as a lunch dish or, mashed up a bit, a nice cocktail food with baguette toasts or crackers.

Cool sesame noodles might fill a niche.

One very favorite dish that can serve as a dinner side or a drinks food (I usually serve it as an accompaniment to drinks) is a potato recipe called Aloo Bhaji. Boiled potato cubes tossed with fried onion seasoned with cumin seeds, cumin powder, minced ginger, turmeric, chopped chili peppers, with cubed tomatoes and cilantro stirred in. It is good hot or at room temp. While it is an easy enough recipe to make, it might not be simple enough for this situation. I can provide more specifics if you want them.

I could go on and on, but I think that’s because I am hungry.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#18 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

One very favorite dish that can serve as a dinner side or a drinks food (I usually serve it as an accompaniment to drinks) is a potato recipe called Aloo Bhaji. Boiled potato cubes tossed with fried onion seasoned with cumin seeds, cumin powder, minced ginger, turmeric, chopped chili peppers, with cubed tomatoes and cilantro stirred in. It is good hot or at room temp. While it is an easy enough recipe to make, it might not be simple enough for this situation. I can provide more specifics if you want them.

That sounds delicious to me. Does it keep well? Is it something you could make ahead and take with you, rather than having to assemble it there?

I'd like the recipe. Sounds like great picnic fare.

The Voice of America

#19 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

Does it keep well? Is it something you could make ahead and take with you, rather than having to assemble it there?

I'd like the recipe. Sounds like great picnic fare.

You got it.

It is good picnic fare. I have taken it on boating outings and it works well. You can make it ahead to a point, some hours, anyway, and serve it at room temperature. I have loved it as a refrigerated leftover myself, but I wouldn’t serve it to anybody else that way. I mean, I love cold leftover lasagna, too, but it might surprise the odd dinner guest, you know?

Aloo Bhaji My Way

4 medium waxy potatoes, peeled, cubed and slightly undercooked, about a pound
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, diced fine
1 large fresh hot green chili (or to taste), seeded, chopped
2-3 medium tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup plain yoghurt
¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Saute onions in 2 tbs ghee or oil of choice until translucent. Add ginger and chilies and cook for a minute, then add dry spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add potato cubes and sauté til they brown a little. Stir in tomato and cook gently until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Stir in yogurt and finish with cilantro. Serves, well, depends on how many people like it.

If you are serving it as an appetizer you can judge the size you want to cut the potatoes accordingly. You know, imagine them on the end of a toothpick. And if you are just desperate to keep the carbs up, this tucks nicely into pooris or pita.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this recipe. It was my mother’s. And she was Irish. But I like it very much.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#20 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

Bone-in strip steaks and Berkshire Pork Chops from Lobels.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#21 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,525 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this recipe. It was my mother’s. And she was Irish. But I like it very much.

apart from the yogurt, very similar to a basic bengali preparation. calling this bhaji, however, must be an irish thing. usually you'd expect something called bhaji to be a simple fried prep (with or without batter).

let me suggest another even simpler potato dish that might work as a cold/lukewarm potato salad. actually, described it in my egullet food blog a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. here it is. (the third on in that thread.)

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#22 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:00 PM

This isn't a group that will gladly embrace paying the cost of airfare to Denver for prime meat.

Cold sesame noodles, good. Leftover lamb thingies also, good. Anything one can do with potatoes will be appreciated.

I think ribs will make a good entree, rubbed and cooked low and slow.

Thanks for all the good suggestions and recipes. The lines remain open if you have more good ideas.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#23 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:16 PM

This isn't a group that will gladly embrace paying the cost of airfare to Denver for prime meat.

?? I thought you were bringing food out with you from NY.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#24 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

How hot is it there, Robert? Hell's Bell's Summertime Furnace Blast, or merely "Stay in the shade in the middle of the day, but we're chillin' because we're on the lake"?

What is your spice and herb situation? (I travel with some spices.)

#25 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

One of the most memorable meals of my life was Dewars steaks (not quite Lobels but 1 of Boston's best butchers) 100 miles south of Martha's Vineyard on a fishing trip.

I also think you should try some fishing..

http://www.wayneswords.com/lpfish.htm

My first memory of Lake Powell is some photos that John Derek took of his wife Bo..and published in Playboy..This was shortly after her very poplur perfomance in "10."..caution r or x rated

http://www.thebeachc...bum171/boderek2

I'm sure you'll see some great scenery too :)

#26 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

How hot is it there, Robert? Hell's Bell's Summertime Furnace Blast, or merely "Stay in the shade in the middle of the day, but we're chillin' because we're on the lake"?

What is your spice and herb situation? (I travel with some spices.)

Last time, it was 110 on the dock, and 100 degrees every day out on the lake. The trick is to find a "parking space" for the boat that gives shade most of the day. We're in and out of the water at least a half a dozen times a day.

We bring herbs and spices, no problem.

#27 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

?? I thought you were bringing food out with you from NY.

My fault for poorly worded humor: this is a red state, blue collar kind of vacation. I doubt the others will want to pay extra for top shelf meat.

Jaymes, if you're looking in, or anyone else, do you have a comparable recipe for a red sangria? I'm sure there are plenty out there, but I trust you. The concept has met with approval.

#28 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:48 AM

Have several recipes for regular red sangria. Some heartier than others...like the ones with brandy, or something else a little harder than just red wine.

I'm traveling now...driving from New Hampshire back to Missouri. Currently in Cleveland. Oh happy day. Storms outside coming in from the west, so may head due south tomorrow to try to avoid the worst of them.

When I get home I'll look through my recipes. I do have one that I particularly like especially for summer. A little lighter than some others. And in the meantime, others can chip in.

Didn't Katy Loeb have one in a recent issue of Bon Appetit? Did anybody check it out? Wonder if it's any good. I'd think so, given her position.

The Voice of America

#29 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

118 degrees on the dock at the Bullfrog marina. The young woman driving the atv with a trailer that took our gear from the parking lot to the dock said she was frightened by the amount of alcohol for just 8 people. So was I. As it turned out, there was more than enough hard stuff for them that wanted it, but just barely enough wine, even if you include the few black boxes, which my colleagues insisted were as good as just about anything in a bottle. That was until they tasted my favored Perrin Reserve cdr (the largest liquor store in Colorado had nine bottles in stock; we found five more at another store, that was it).

The suggestions offered here, especially by Jaymes and fml, were very useful. All kinds of melons were available: cranshaw, canteloupe, what they called "Israeli melons" and which I know from the phonetic Hebrew as Ogin, delicious watermelon, all helped to slake a constant thirst. Olathe corn wasn't available yet. The Acme smoked fishes were a big hit, as was the hard salami from Katz's. I regretted not bringing good bagels from my guy on 1st Avenue. We took a recipe from Epicurious for a very good gazpacho using bread crumbs. There was a huge batch of Mazal's oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies, as well as the suggested pound cake, which was, as anticipated, terrific with soused peaches and ice cream. Baking the pound cakes at altitude proved a bit of a challenge, but they tasted great. The peach white sangria was so good it disappeared in a flash, leaving everyone to suck on the fruit swollen with wine and peach schnapps. Mains were mostly grilled meats: chicken, ribs, leg of lamb, flank steak. Another person made a good green chile and quesadillas. There was a whole spiral cut ham, plenty of potato salad and other sides. We didn't starve.

Some readers may remember my comment from last time that this is not a cruise for those who need privacy. It was a unique experience to sleep under an incredible starry sky with seven other people, most of whom snored. I wish I had a recording of that.

The politics of Lake Powell aside, it is a spectacularly beautiful place. We found solitude and absolute quiet, even at this very busy time of year. Swimming was great, although the bluegills showed a tendency to nip at the men's nipples. Go figure.

A few pix to give the idea. We called the larger formation the Sleeping Camel, and there's a little head on the left that looked just like the Creature from the Black Lagoon:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

These are wonderful pictures, Robert. Thanks for sharing them.

(Got any more you'd like to post?)
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.