40 replies to this topic

#31 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

Wow. Really, you can't ever get accustomed to the stark beauty of Lake Powell. It does look like a lake on a distant planet dreamed up by a science fiction writer. And I too would love to see a few more photos.

Glad the peach sangria was a hit. It always is at my place.

:P

The Voice of America

#32 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:49 PM

Here's one more. I don't want to spoil you:

Posted Image

Btw, the last stretch of I70 leading to the exit for the lake is about the most beautiful ride I've ever taken on an Interstate.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#33 fml

fml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

Here's one more. I don't want to spoil you:

Posted Image

Btw, the last stretch of I70 leading to the exit for the lake is about the most beautiful ride I've ever taken on an Interstate.

Spectacular. I've hiked surrounding canyons that have not been drowned; among the most powerful, magical places on earth.

#34 fml

fml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

Spectacular. I've hiked surrounding canyons that have not been drowned; among the most powerful, magical places on earth.

The cafe I was talking about in this post is in Page, Arizona, one of the entry points to Lake Powell. Timeless, in a world of its own.

#35 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:40 AM

What beautiful pictures! C'mon, spoil us!

#36 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:48 AM

Yes, and Canyon de Chelly comes most immediately to mind.

The Voice of America

#37 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

Robert, the pictures seem to show the reported significant decline in the water level at Lake Powell. It's something like 15 feet over the past few years.

Has that affected your boating adventures?
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#38 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

The "bathtub ring" is closer to the water level this year, but still quite high, anywhere from about 15 to about 50 feet. As you ride around, you see things that had been under water, like rock formations and tree stumps. Obviously, it is more difficult to navigate into side canyons. One of these, Defiance Canyon, has a restored ruin, with beautiful, large petroglyphs. My friends say they used to be able to take the speedboat right up to it. Now, it's necessary to beach the boat and walk in about a half mile. Of course, at one time, there was no dam and no lake at all. In general, hiking in the canyons is excellent.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#39 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:39 AM

Argh, did I need to find a "houseboat" topic when searching for "garlic"?

This is the galley of the 1969 Chris-Craft Aquahome I grew up on in New Rochelle, NY. 

y66joGA.jpg

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:00 AM

Is it our fault your life has been interesting?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Yes, it is. My privacyless childhood afloat was a little short of traumatic. A trigger warning for the search result would've been appreciated.

Of course, we did catch lobsters from an illegal trap off the bow, and dined on them regularly (steamed).

As an adult, I would not choose to eat what crawled on the muck of that mostly dead recreational-marina mud bottom. Which includes several bottles of wine that, as a teen, I secretly drank and then sank to hide the evidence. They were mostly from a case of Beaujolais-Villages. Liveaboard parents get lots of liquor as gifts, because everyone knows you don't have room for many knickknacks.

More photos at the link below if anyone's interested, from my Craigslist ad. My father had still lived on it till he died a couple of years ago. It was uninsurable and its engines were neglected. I sold it for a dollar ($2,500 towing fee paid by the buyer).

https://www.flickr.c...157677487780647

Is it our fault your life has been interesting?