Photo

Tapas??

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#106 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

I'm taking myself out of the dessert roster, as I have two sorts of chorizo from Oyama up in Vancouver and I want to serve them for this party. Anyone else want to pick up on the sweets?

Abra and Shel - white gazpacho cappuccino, sangria, and chorizo surprise

Eden - some good (sweet) sherry, Artichokes sauteed with ham, chorizo stewed with figs

Char (and maybe Richard) - Confit of Wild Mushrooms, Chicken With Garlic, and a few bottles of wine

Seema and Dilip - Salmon Ceviche with a sweet corn vinaigrette, Potatoes Rioja style with Chorizo, and maybe Fish & Potato stew Rafa style

Wendy and Dayne - a few bottles of Txakoli, most likely brocheta of bacon and mushroom; spider crab pouches; urraki (ham and egg) and/or Tradicional (tuna and gherkins)

Rocky (and maybe Dani) - probably Espanola, Albondigas, and Camarones de Ajo.

Lorna and Henry - Galician octopus dish, and either hazelnut meringue cake with chocolate cinnamon mousse, or polvorones with apple and cider custard (i.e. anise shortbread tart with cider custard and caramelized apple) - VOTE FOR ONE

Kay and Al - spiced almonds, cold mussels with almond sauce and probably some kind of bunuelitos (small fritters) along with some wine.

Connie

Lauren and Paul?
Malarkey?

#107 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:09 AM

Hmmm, I hate to tell you all this, but we really need a new venue for this party.

Shel has pneumonia, and although he's feeling a lot better than he was a couple of days ago, the doctor says he'll probably not be up to snuff for 6-8 weeks. All the moving and schlepping and cleaning that goes along with a party, he's not going to be up to that, although I'm sure he'd be happy to come to the party if it didn't involve heavy lifting.

Can anyone else host this one?

#108 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:38 AM

Hmmm, I hate to tell you all this, but we really need a new venue for this party.

Shel has pneumonia, and although he's feeling a lot better than he was a couple of days ago, the doctor says he'll probably not be up to snuff for 6-8 weeks. All the moving and schlepping and cleaning that goes along with a party, he's not going to be up to that, although I'm sure he'd be happy to come to the party if it didn't involve heavy lifting.

Can anyone else host this one?

We are so sorry to hear that Shel isn't feeling well! Please tell him to get better soon. Normally Dayne and I would cheerfully offer to host but we've got some house projects going on that I'm trying to finish before we leave for italy.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#109 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:27 AM

Y'all are welcome to relocate here, with the caveat that ours is a funky little old Ballard house, so we'd be crowded but friendly...

Take good care of Shel (pneumonia seems to be making the rounds right now :huh: )
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#110 white lotus

white lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Appologies, please take my name off the attendance list (sad) as I have a family issue I need to take care of that day. Take photos and eat lots... wl

#111 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

Abra, please give my best to Shel for a speedy recovery!

I would be happy to host the party here. I live in Poulsbo which is 15 minutes from Abra's house.

I don't remember what was set as the 'start time' but the only caveat to having it here is that Richard works weekends and gets up at 5:30AM...so 'last one out the door' would need to be 10PM.

Our house is roomy and we have a large deck/waterfall and could eat outdoors depending on weather. If it's blazingly hot I have central air conditioning!.... :huh:

Char

Growing Old Isn't for Sissies

Bette Davis

#112 kayswv

kayswv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:23 AM

Abra,

We are so sorry to hear that Shel has pneumonia but at least you all know why he has felt so badly lately. Hope the recovery is rapid. Sorry we will miss you at this event but thank you very much for offering your home to host. Look forward to seeing you both soon.

Kay (and Al)

#113 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:35 AM

Get well, Shel!
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#114 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:24 AM

OK, I'm a little late to the tapas party, but....

My mother-in-law was in town this weekend, so I tried to do some nice stuff. She gave me Jose Adres' Tapas cookbook for Christmas, so Sunday was a few dishes from that:

Tomato salad with sherry vinegar and fresh herbs. This was supposed to also include blue cheese, but I forgot it, which turned out for the better I think. The tomatoes from the farmers market really shone.

Posted Image

Chanterell soup with Idiazabal cheese. Obviously this pic is pre-pouring the soup, showing the egg yolk, chorizo, whole chanterelles and the cheese. I pureed the soup (not part of the recipe) and it came out very nice.

Posted Image

Halibut in green sauce "Arzak". The recipe called for hake, which I never see here, but halibut was a good stand-in. The slow-warming of the fish that also produces the sauce and cooks the clams worked very well. Picture isn't that attractive, I admit...

Posted Image
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner