34 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

Having now planned out our vacation, I see we will be in Portland on Sunday, August 20, 2006. Any recommendations? We haven't been through Portland in about 10 years :blush: but always liked it.

Thanks.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 judymass

judymass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Having now planned out our vacation, I see we will be in Portland on Sunday, August 20, 2006. Any recommendations? We haven't been through Portland in about 10 years :blush: but always liked it.

Thanks.

Ok, first question...are you staying in Portland? Becky's Diner (390 Commercial St, Portland. 773-7070. Sunday and Monday: 4:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; Tuesday through Saturday: 4:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.) is a fun local place for breakfast.
You should try to visit the Public Market. It's Portland's answer to Seattle's Pike Street Market. After that, I'd just walk around the Old Port area, and drive along the Easter Promenade- fine old houses, lovely view of the ocean.
Where are you coming from,going to? (Can you tell I love Maine?)
Judy
Life is too short to eat bad food.

#3 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

Sad to say, the Portland Public Market was sold in May and is now empty of all vendors save a coffee shop.

Depending on how long you have, a ferry to Peaks Island (20 minutes) is fun and rewarding on the other side with a visit to Jones Landing, a typical fish&chips, burger+ place with a huge deck overlooking Portland and Casco Bay. There is also a new Inn with a styling little restaurant that I hear is great. The ferry is especially nice since it's cooler out on the Bay. Saturday and Sundays the Bay is choked with pleasure craft, lobsterboats and schooners in full sail.

In town, the Old Port is fun to traipse around since a lot of it is cobblestone and one is reasonably able to imagine barcs of old unloading molasses and whatever. You will see a distinct difference in the town since ten years ago. Lo-o-ots of tourists. Parking is a pain in the butt too.

What to eat?

Bar of Chocolate below the Wine Bar on Wharf street is owned by my friend Sara. It's a brick-and-beam european bistro with good espresso, limoncello, a great cuban sandwich and copper-top bar.

Street & Company has been serving great seafood for many years, also on wharf street at #33, almost across the street from Bar of Choc.

Flatbread Pizza is associated with the Vermont company that ships pies all over and has a busy stone hearth. Their pies are thin crust with very interesting toppings. We had a maple chorizo and sun-dried tomato the other day. Their deck looks out on the ferry landing to Peaks and the other islands. #72 Commercial St.

The Old Port Sea Grill & Raw Bar has several varieties of oysters on hand at all times including 3 or 4 from Maine. It's across the street from Flatbread. It's not cheap but I'd go there for oysters over J's Oyster nearby. Closed from 3p to 5p.

Yosaku is an unbelievably good sushi bar run by a former waterfront tuna buyer from Japan. Tak is tireless, very good humored and really knows what he's doing. Pleasant atmosphere, artistic presentation, and probably less expensive than what you're used to. Outdoor patio available. #1 Danforth St is about three blocks west of the end of Wharf st. in the Old Port. call 780-0880 for sunday hours.

There are more places on either side of the scale than these but I guess I need to know more about how long you're here for and what tickles your fancy... besides betting on the world cup! :blush:
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"
- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

Portland Food Map.com

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:27 AM

Thanks, guys. We will only be there the one day :blush: between staying a week with family further up the coast,* dropping said family at the Portland airport, and returning our rental car to Boston. Staying at a hotel on High Street, supposedly a five-minute walk from the Old Port. We will most likely leave the car at the hotel and just walk around. The places on Wharf Street and the sushi place sound like good possibilities, as does Becky's to fuel up before we head home. (We can skip the flatbread pizza place, since we're going first to Vermont for a week and I alway buy one at the Brattleboro Food Co-op for one night's dinner. They are indeed excellent; the only frozen pizza I would ever consider buying.)

But if you have any more suggestions, I'm listening. :P

*I think it's near Rockland, so any suggestions for that area would be welcome, too.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#5 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:41 AM

crap- I just typed out a huge reply, that disappeared into cyberspace. GRR.

My Dad lives near Rockland, an I had lots of recs and ideas. I'll try and reconstruct tomorrow.

#6 judymass

judymass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, guys. We will only be there the one day :blush: between staying a week with family further up the coast,* dropping said family at the Portland airport, and returning our rental car to Boston. Staying at a hotel on High Street, supposedly a five-minute walk from the Old Port. We will most likely leave the car at the hotel and just walk around. The places on Wharf Street and the sushi place sound like good possibilities, as does Becky's to fuel up before we head home. (We can skip the flatbread pizza place, since we're going first to Vermont for a week and I alway buy one at the Brattleboro Food Co-op for one night's dinner. They are indeed excellent; the only frozen pizza I would ever consider buying.)

But if you have any more suggestions, I'm listening. :P

*I think it's near Rockland, so any suggestions for that area would be welcome, too.

There is Primo in Rockland. I've not eaten there, but I've heard fantastic things about it. Follow the link I'm posting, and you can see why.

http://www.primorest...nt.com/home.cfm

Another very nice place to eat (I have been to this one) is Silver Lane Bistro, in Warren. The atmosphere is laid back, and the owner/chef is talented and very affable. I think you'd enjoy a meal there.

http://www.silverlanebistro.com/

The Rockland/Camden area is just a nice spot for wandering the streets poking your head into the shops.

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

The Maine Lobster festival is scheduled for early August in Rockland.

Maine Lobster Festival

Rockland has a number of art galleries, studios, and workshops. Many are open to the public on weekends. Dee and I spent several pleasant hours traipsing up and down the hills once we secured a parking space.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#8 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

A recent article in SustainableFoodNews.com discusses the higher-end restaurant trends in Maine.

*click*

Mentioned are Sam Hayward of Fore Street, Rob Evans of Hugo's, Josh Potocki of One Fifty Ate and Bar Lola, all of Portland, as well as Melissa Kelly's outstanding Primo near Rockland, among others.

Primo has a thread in the New England forum over at you-know-where that's been running a long while. It's legendary - you must make reservations. For the record, I haven't been there yet; the cookie jar just isn't full enough.
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"

Portland Food Map.com

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

Again, thanks! I'll have to figure out how much we can manage to spend on a thank-you dinner (probably for up to 6 adults and 2 kids), but Primo is a good possibility. Especially if brother-in-law has not yet been.

RP -- Lobster Festival is before we even leave NYC. :blush: But that's okay. Just visiting a pound is enough, without all the extra tourists (besides us, that is) and hoopla.

#10 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:37 PM

Sad to say, the Portland Public Market was sold in May and is now empty of all vendors save a coffee shop.

:blush: We've been looking forward to returning to Scales for another one of these:

Posted Image

followed by one of these:

Posted Image
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#11 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

Okay, I'll try again.

Rockland things to see/do/eat.

The Owl's Head transportation museum, if you want to relive part of my childhood. They have Clara Bow's Rolls Royce, and other iconic vehicles. If you like that sort of thing, that is.

In Rockland, if you are are a Wyeth fan (especially Andrew), the Farnsworth Museum is an old church, and has some nice art.

A fun place to eat is Cafe Miranda. Just around the corner from the Farnsworth. I recommend calling ahead and reserving the "bar", which is the stools overlooking the final prep area/wood oven. It's usually the owner at this station, and he's really fun. The variety of food that comes out of that kitchen is amazing, and quite tasty. I love the theater aspect of the seats as much as the food.

My Dad raves about Primo, but I never seem to be there at the right time.

On the drive up, and I assume you'll be taking scenic route 1, the lobsta roll of choice is in Newcastle, turn left just before the bridge, it's almost at the corner. I can't remember the name, but it's lobster, butter and a toasted roll. That's it. Wonderful.

When you go through Waldoboro, 19 miles before Rockland, Moody's Diner is an icon. Been there for 75 years, and worth a stop.

If you can, The Pemaquid Point Lobster Co-op is amazing. Located about 100 feet from where the crustaceans come off the boat, you choose based on size. A few years ago they installed a deep fryer for other things, but the draw is the lobster. Bring a jacket- it gets chilly even on summer nights. Pemaquid Point is about 20 miles down coast from Waldoboro.

Obviously, Dad lives downcoast (Damariscotta) from Rockland, so that's the area I'm most acquainted with.

Have fun!

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

I'm sure you have Red's in Wiscasset bookmarked. It's just up the hill from the long bridge. Often mentioned as one of the best examples of lobstah roll.

RoadFood write up

There's a 1950s style dining establishment with car hops, or dine inside choices on Bath Road near the west end of the runway for the Brunswick Naval Air Station. Fat Boy.

And, a very polished brewpub converted from an old mill in downtown Brunswick, just east of the center of town. Quality restoration, perched above the old millrace and a cascade of enormous rocks
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#13 judymass

judymass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Okay, I'll try again.

Rockland things to see/do/eat.

The Owl's Head transportation museum, if you want to relive part of my childhood. They have Clara Bow's Rolls Royce, and other iconic vehicles. If you like that sort of thing, that is.

In Rockland, if you are are a Wyeth fan (especially Andrew), the Farnsworth Museum is an old church, and has some nice art.

A fun place to eat is Cafe Miranda. Just around the corner from the Farnsworth. I recommend calling ahead and reserving the "bar", which is the stools overlooking the final prep area/wood oven. It's usually the owner at this station, and he's really fun. The variety of food that comes out of that kitchen is amazing, and quite tasty. I love the theater aspect of the seats as much as the food.

My Dad raves about Primo, but I never seem to be there at the right time.

On the drive up, and I assume you'll be taking scenic route 1, the lobsta roll of choice is in Newcastle, turn left just before the bridge, it's almost at the corner. I can't remember the name, but it's lobster, butter and a toasted roll. That's it. Wonderful.

When you go through Waldoboro, 19 miles before Rockland, Moody's Diner is an icon. Been there for 75 years, and worth a stop.

If you can, The Pemaquid Point Lobster Co-op is amazing. Located about 100 feet from where the crustaceans come off the boat, you choose based on size. A few years ago they installed a deep fryer for other things, but the draw is the lobster. Bring a jacket- it gets chilly even on summer nights. Pemaquid Point is about 20 miles down coast from Waldoboro.

Obviously, Dad lives downcoast (Damariscotta) from Rockland, so that's the area I'm most acquainted with.

Have fun!

Do you mean the Pemaquid Harbor Fisherman's Co-op? (On Pemaquid Harbor Road?) It's off the Harrington Road, between 129 and 130, out from Damariscotta. I know this one, since my folks live on the Pemaquid Harbor Road, not 1/2 mile from the Co-op.
Another good take inthe area, is Small Brother's in New Harbor, or you can go to Anchor Inn in Round Pound. We usually manage a trip to the latter for either dinner or brunch while up to see the folks.

#14 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:37 AM

Do you mean the Pemaquid Harbor Fisherman's Co-op? (On Pemaquid Harbor Road?) It's off the Harrington Road, between 129 and 130, out from Damariscotta. I know this one, since my folks live on the Pemaquid Harbor Road, not 1/2 mile from the Co-op.
Another good take inthe area, is Small Brother's in New Harbor, or you can go to Anchor Inn in Round Pound. We usually manage a trip to the latter for either dinner or brunch while up to see the folks.

YES! That's the one. I was going to have to call Dad and get the route numbers, but yes, from Damariscotta, it's a race- 129 or 130?

And Rail Paul got the right place- it's Red's Eats in Wiscasset. I had my bridges confabulated. Maybe it's time to make a visit to dear ol' dad and get my bearings?

I'm glad you chimed in with Anchor inn in Round Pond- We had a really lovely dinner there.

And welcome, judymass!

#15 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:35 PM

We've been looking forward to returning to Scales

Word on the street is that Sam & partners are looking at other spaces to re-establish Scales soon. Stay tuned.

Portland Food Map.com