34 replies to this topic

#16 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

a ferry to Peaks Island (20 minutes) is fun and rewarding on the other side with a visit to Jones Landing, a typical fish&chips, burger+ place with a huge deck overlooking Portland and Casco Bay.

What I forgot to tell you is that on Sunday's in the summer, Jones Landing features a reasonably good reggae band that packs the deck at Jones to capacity and the lines at the bar are so long they set up a barrel of iced red stripe for sale on the deck to catch overflow.

Read: Island Madness. Fun if you're into that kind of thing though.
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"
- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

Portland Food Map.com

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

(Carrying over a thread from OA)

There's a reference to what sounds like a delightful restaurant in Georgetown Island, Maine in an article on certified Maine lobster. Georgetown Island is southeast of Bath. The robinhood meetinghouse is a restored colonial era church now housing a fine restaurant, with a range of contemporary meal preparations.

robinhood

A review of the menu suggests that there's NO LOBSTER on the menu. :P

Asian Pesto-Grilled Shrimp - sautéed with Pad Thai Rice Noodles, served with Stir-Fried Asian Vegetables and Cilantro
$26.00

Grilled Sirloin with Turned Mushrooms, Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Two Texture Duck - Confit and Breast with Honey Berry Butter and Caramelized Apples served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Porca Portabella - sautéed Mignonettes of Pork with Portabella Mushrooms, Basil, and Crispy Garlic, served over Fettucini
$25.00

Maine Crab Cakes with Black Bean Sauce and Fresh Salsa, served with Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Scallops Pernod with Leeks, Garlic, Cream and Pernod, served with Rice and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Grilled Prime Rib (Delmonico) with Turned Mushrooms and Mustard Béarnaise, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$28.00

Beef Stroganoff - Strips of Tenderloin with Sherry, Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, and Creme Frâiche served on Fettucini
$26.00

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Butter Sauce and Parmesan, served with Fresh Vegetables
$22.00

Grilled Filet of Beef stuffed with Maine Crab Meat, Turned Mushrooms, and Béarnaise, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$28.00

Grilled Filet of Beef with Turned Mushrooms, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$28.00

Grilled Rack of Lamb with Mustard Béarnaise, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$28.00

Porca Portabella - sautéed Mignonettes of Pork with Portabella Mushrooms, Basil, and Crispy Garlic, served with Fettucini and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Salmon en Papillote with Julienne of Carrots, Leeks, Enoki Mushrooms, Lemon, Thyme, and Tarragon, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Blackened Salmon with Micro Greens and Avocado Tomato Salsa, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$28.00

Pork Roquefort - sautéed Mignonettes of Pork with a Light Cream Roquefort Sauce, served on Fettucini and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Grilled Double Breast of Duck with Beurre Rouge and Five Herbs, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$26.00

Szechuan Tuna seared with a Crust of Green, Black, and White Peppercorns, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$28.00

Roasted Double Breast of Chicken with Cilantro and Goat Cheese Stuffing with an Artichoke Lemon Sauce, served with Roasted Potatoes and Fresh Vegetables
$24.00

Vegetable Platter - Grilled Marinated Vegetable Brochette, Asparagus Béarnaise, served with Wild Rice Pancakes, Sour Cream, Lingonberry Jam, and Turned Mushrooms with Fresh Vegetables
$22.00
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#18 judymass

judymass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

[quote name='Rail Paul' date='Jul 31 2006, 11:47 AM' post='719395']
(Carrying over a thread from OA)

There's a reference to what sounds like a delightful restaurant in Georgetown Island, Maine in an article on certified Maine lobster. Georgetown Island is southeast of Bath. The robinhood meetinghouse is a restored colonial era church now housing a fine restaurant, with a range of contemporary meal preparations.

robinhood

A review of the menu suggests that there's NO LOBSTER on the menu. :P

I have dined at Robinhood Free Meetinghouse on several occasions. It is very delightful! As for there being no lobster on the menu, it may show up in the specials. But, if you truly have a hankering to chow down on a "bug", you can continue on down the penninsula, to Five Islands, where there is a fantastic waterfront lobster pound. They don't get any fresher than that!
Back to Robinhood....Chef Michael Gagne just got an award at the Fancy Food Show in NYC for his biscuits. So, be sure to try them, and maybe even bring some home with you.

Another fun place to dine, a bit farther up the coast in Wiscasset, is Le Garage. It's just off Rt.1. Turn right, if going north, just before crossing the river. It's a converted garage on the left, right on the water. Fun venue, great food.
Life is too short to eat bad food.

#19 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

20 mains?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#20 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

We're back. We ended up going through Portland twice, once on the way up to Owl's Head, and once back down before returning the rental car in Boston. The first time, we arrived at about 9pm on Sunday night, having driven straight from Marlboro, VT. So we headed to the waterfront where I was sure places would be open. Ended up at J's Oyster, having oysters (Bluepoints :huh: ), some pretty good fish chowder and NE clam chowder, and barely acceptable lobster and crab rolls. The best thing about the rolls was that they were inexpensive, but the lobster and crab were fresh and tasty. The bread was not toasted, nor was it buttered, but at least the mayo was on the side, not mixed with the seafood. Coffee was quite good. We were just too exhausted to find anyplace better. (We stayed at The Inn on St. John, which turned out to be quite nice except that it is NOT nonsmoking. Very reasonable price, though, and anyway it was only for one night.)

We did get to Primo while in Owl's Head. It was . . . okay. The best things were the Pizza Margherita and my Greek salad. Paul enjoyed his duck breast. I just thought everything was too busy, with too much going on on the plate. Why do that if you use ingredients at their seasonal peak? ETA: and I just noticed that we were charged for two Sambucas no one ordered (or drank). That definitely lowers my opinion of them.

Staying with Paul's sister in Owl's head, other than Primo we ate in. (Breakfast once at the Owl's Head General Store, once at Ocean House in Port Clyde: two very different styles of blueberry pancakes, each good in its own way.) Lobsters a couple of times as other family members arrived; a pasta with leftover seafood that I threw together; fried chicken from terrific free-range birds bought at the Thursday farmers' market in Rockland (hey, I wanted to make fried chicken, and I was the cook, so that's what we had -- with lots of leftovers for lunches), grilled fish with salsa. Grilled corn three times. I never had the courage to fire up the wood-burning side of the stove, though.

On the way back down through Portland (the expected stay, for which I started this thread), we had dinner at Five Fifty-five (555 Congress Street; 207-761-0555) on the recommendation of Paul's nephew's father-in-law, who is a food broker. How come nobody mentioned it? It was excellent! We shared the Bangs Island mussels -- very, very plump and sweet, in a lightly spicy broth; then the crab risotto (very rich) and the pork chop (succulent), and Paul had the "cake and ice cream." A bottle of Sokol Blosser Evolution, 10th edition (a white blend of varietals, nothing outstanding but it worked well with the food). Apparently they have just expanded their space, and it was quite comfortable. (We had -- that is, I had -- driven down in a bitch of a rainstorm, then spent some time at the Portland Museum of Art, so we ate early and conked out early.)

Breakfast the next day was at Becky's Diner, as recommended here. It mostly met our standard, set by Dot's (in Wilmington, VT). Good food (awful coffee, though), good service, clearly a local favorite worth waiting on line for. Walking further along the waterfront after breakfast, I gave some guy in a convertible a laugh as I genuflected when we got to Browne Trading. It was just as well I didn't buy anything there, because our train from Boston was cancelled and we had to take a later "Regional" instead of the Acela, and didn't get home until almost 9pm.

Thanks again for the recommendations here. Since we may go up to use the house more, I'll still keep all this info in mind.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#21 senter

senter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

Planning a trip to Portland Maine and surrounding areas in April. Looking for great food of any type. Any updated information would be appreciated. Thanks.

#22 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

Walter's Chowder House, in the Old Port, for chowders, good lobster rolls, etc. It's seemed to be more of a local place than a tourist destination, with almost nonexistant conter service, a couple of tables, and great attitude.

There's a pretty good brew-pub up in the old port as well, Gritty's. Good beer, burgers, bar food.

#23 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

Steve Corry of Five Fifty-Five chosen as one of Food & Wine's Best New Chefs, 2007. That makes me pretty happy, since we really liked the place (see upthread).

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#24 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:37 AM

Chris Kimball has mentioned Eventide Oyster several times in his Twitter feed.  he seems to like the Portland restaurant.  Brown butter lobster roll, yum

http://www.eventideoysterco.com/home

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#25 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

Any recent recs in Portland or Kennebunkport? Nothing too fancy as we will be with mini-Tubbs.

#26 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

Any recent recs in Portland or Kennebunkport? Nothing too fancy as we will be with mini-Tubbs.

You didn't mention when you were going, so this could be too late....  

We were last in Kennebunkport in 2010 though we'd been there several times previously.  Arundel Wharf Restaurant is a pleasant, casual place that sits along the water and has good lobster rolls.

#27 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Just got back. Central Provisions is turning out some amazing food, we luckily were able to walk in, and mini-tubbs was content with the dry aged ribeye (getting some expensive tastes this one...). Just great combinations of flavors without being gimmicky, overly salty, or repetitive. Eggplant crostata with heirloom tomato, babaganoush, shishito peppers, and pecorino was our favorite - I find it hard to find eggplant dishes that are able to properly balance the sweet/umami of the eggplant, but this one did easily, the shishito peppers were pickled, just great. Otto pizza was also good. 

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:34 AM

You have a child who loves dry-aged ribeye?

Oy.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

You would have loved dry-aged ribeye as a kid too. 

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

And Bentleys.  I'd have loved riding in Bentleys.

Bar Loser

MF Old