148 replies to this topic

#136 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

If you're willing to travel to the Eastside, I got a great Living Social offer today for a dim sum brunch for 2 at Wild Ginger/Bellevue for only $104.... :blink: <_<

Really, I'm not making this up....it literally made me froth at the mouth.

that's because it includes a complimentary cocktail - totally worth it :P

Do they serve said cocktail in a bucket?

Don't forget it also includes one pot of loose leaf tea.

That is crazy. $52 per person for dim sum and a cocktail. And it's supposed to be a deal! It seems so arrogant to think anyone would actually buy one.

...and it's for freakin' Wild Ginger!! Asian food for white people! There's a sucker born every day, I guess...
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#137 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Rocky are you kidding about Voula's because I just went to their website and it's got Guy Fieri all over it. I'm scared.

edited to add: Went anyway and it was indeed delicious despite the GF paraphernalia. Thanks, Rocky!

#138 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

I was too late to get any goodies at Crumble & Flake on Saturday so we went to Serious Biscuit instead. I thought it was really good but $20 for the two of us seemed a bit expensive for breakfast sandwiches.

I had one with ham, egg, beecher's cheddar and apple mustard. The ham was good but the apple mustard was way too sweet for my taste. Paul had the fried chicken and gravy one and it was excellent. The gravy had just the right amount of kick.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#139 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

...so we went to Serious Biscuit instead. I thought it was really good but $20 for the two of us seemed a bit expensive for breakfast sandwiches.

That's my overwhelming sentiment with all of TD's places. Yeah, it's tasty, but it's always more that I really want to spend for what I just got. Unfortunately that seems to be the price point of everything in SLU, including the food trucks.

#140 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

...so we went to Serious Biscuit instead. I thought it was really good but $20 for the two of us seemed a bit expensive for breakfast sandwiches.

That's my overwhelming sentiment with all of TD's places. Yeah, it's tasty, but it's always more that I really want to spend for what I just got. Unfortunately that seems to be the price point of everything in SLU, including the food trucks.

I was just thinking that as I read Hanna Raskin's piece on the lasagna at Cuoco. I've been only one time because my takeaway was that it was pretty good, but too expensive for what it was.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#141 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

It's been eons since I've been to Cafe Campagne, probably because the last couple of times I was there, I was totally underwhelmed. We met some friends there on Monday and I might actually go back before eons have passed.

We had a reservation for 11:15 and, when I got there, there were so many people waiting to check in I couldn't even see the front desk area. Luckily our friends had already arrived and waved us to the table so we could avoid that whole mess. Within five minutes there was no one waiting. We saw that happen over and over while we were there. It was a bus let people outside every so often.

We started with kir's and mimosa's and the were good. We placed our order and moved on to planning our next trip together. We were deep in the planning process when it finally occurred to me that a lot of time had passed. Paul says it was at least 25 minutes, probably more. I looked around to catch someones eye right as they brought our dishes. I had the croque madam which was really, really good. I should have ordered the croque monsieur because the yolk on the egg was cooked hard. But the sandwich was perfect. Others at the table had either herbed scrambled eggs or herbed omelettes with sausage, potatoes and a baguette. I tried the sausage which was quite tasty and Paul said the scrambled eggs were good. I noticed the omelettes didn't get finished but I'm not sure that means anything noteworthy.

My food was good but the service issues, if I had been paying attention, might have turned me off yet again.

#142 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

What are folks current favorite for weekDAY breakfasts? So few places do more than weekend brunch and I'm going to have guests in town soon...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#143 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

What are folks current favorite for weekDAY breakfasts? So few places do more than weekend brunch and I'm going to have guests in town soon...

Meanders Kitchen. It's in West Seattle (and opening soon in White Center as well), but well worth the drive and the occasional wait.

ETA: my article went up today on it: http://www.seriousea...seattle-wa.html

#144 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Afraid my recommendations are all south-ish. 909, deep in the heart of Burien, does fantastic breakfast. Square Knot in Georgetown is a new fav of mine, haven't been for breakfast, but I'm sure its good given the rest of what I've had there.

ETA: Row House in SLU is basic, but good. A lot of people like Portage Bay, I can't stand the place.

#145 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

The Dish In Fre-lard and the breakfast happy hour at Peso's and T. Petite.
www.bloatitup.com

#146 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

Thanks all. I had Toulouse on my radar, but the others will be a nice addition to the options...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#147 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Chelan Cafe is one of my favourites for greasy spoon along with Voula's.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#148 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Rocky

You and your Voula's. I'll take The Varsity Inn over Voula's any day. And Steve made me try Beth's and I actually liked some of it!

#149 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Rocky

You and your Voula's. I'll take The Varsity Inn over Voula's any day. And Steve made me try Beth's and I actually liked some of it!

The hashbrowns at Beth's are great.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant