148 replies to this topic

#16 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:47 AM

I used to go to the Mecca every Sunday for breakfast for about a year and was addicted to their corned beef hash with poached eggs and toast with freezer jam.

What is freezer jam?

#17 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:09 AM

I used to go to the Mecca every Sunday for breakfast for about a year and was addicted to their corned beef hash with poached eggs and toast with freezer jam.

What is freezer jam?

It's a mixture of pectin, fruit and sugar mixed together and then frozen to preserve it. It differs from traditional jam in that it's not cooked. It tastes more like fresh fruit, which some people like better, and of course, it's much easier and cooler to make on a hot summer day than traditional cooked jam. I personnally prefer the "cooked" flavor of traditional jam better, but others will disagree. That means more cooked jam for me. :P
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#18 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:39 AM

Cool...I didn't know that. Thanks!

#19 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

We have only had dinner at Salty's, but loved it! The views from the back patio are amazing and they serve some pretty darn good coconut prawns there! I have heard great things about the brunch and would not hesitate to try it when we're in Seattle next time! :P

no offense, but this is the exact reason why I hate Salty's!!! any place that still serves coconut prawns is stuck in the 80's IMHO. There, I said it! that is my snotty food side.....no coconut prawns and you pay for views with frozen 80 style food. Blah! :P So many better places that don't cater to the tourist "I need my seafood overcooked and flavored with sweet crap" crowd.

:P

I decided that for myself, I probably won't go to Salty's brunch because what they excel at during their brunch (fresh cracked dungeness crab, oysters on half shell, boiled prawns) I do often at home already, and for the other stuff, there are better places to go. But if I had guests in town with limited time, I might take them to Salty's for the "shellfish sampling" brunch and view experience. Salty's also does a nice blackened Salmon Caesar salad (which I love for nostalgic reasons), and I've heard their pastries during brunch are good.

A foodie friend of mine and I were just recently reminiscing about coconut prawns, now they are retro. :P

#20 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

There's a great book called Breakfast in Seattle, that I have that lists just about every place that serves breakfast in the greater Seattle area. It's a few years out of date but still pretty good.

Rocky

Thank you for that tip. I reserved it at the library and just picked it up! Having fun now, reading through it... :P

#21 Guest_22tango_*

Guest_22tango_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

no offense, but this is the exact reason why I hate Salty's!!! any place that still serves coconut prawns is stuck in the 80's IMHO. There, I said it! that is my snotty food side.....no coconut prawns and you pay for views with frozen 80 style food. Blah! :P So many better places that don't cater to the tourist "I need my seafood overcooked and flavored with sweet crap" crowd.

[...]But if I had guests in town with limited time, I might take them to Salty's for the "shellfish sampling" brunch and view experience. Salty's also does a nice blackened Salmon Caesar salad (which I love for nostalgic reasons), and I've heard their pastries during brunch are good.

Whenever I want views of Seattle and better (if not cutting edge) food, I always head over to Palisade in Magnolia. I hear they do brunch -- though I've never been.

#22 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:37 AM

I've had brunch at Palisade about five times, and it used to be fantastic. Sadly, quality has fallen off since they got a new chef about a year ago. Not sure if I really should blame this on the new chef or not, but some things definitely seemed different.

I went for my birthday in January, and had some trouble with the kitchen when I asked for a modification to one of the menu items -- they claimed they couldn't do it because it's premade -- but I had asked and received the same modification in the past. Some of the food even came out cold.

It is a beautiful space, with a great view and the giant indoor fish pond is really fun. Service is great. Passion fruit mimosas are delicious. It just seems like brunch isn't really a priorty anymore, although maybe (hopefully!) it's improved in the past six months, since it used to be one of my favorites.

#23 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:20 AM

So...saw in The Stranger this week a short review of the CFS breakfast at Peso's.

The impression that I get from the review wa that it was served with Brown Gravy.... :P

Ok, I like to think that I am a pretty tolerant guy...BUT...Breakfast CFS gets served with Country/Cream Gravy.... NOT Brown Gravy.

Brown gravy on CFS is a Dinner entree, not a breakfast.

Feel Free To Flame Away...I'll take on all comers. (I'm a little too concerned about this, aren't I? :P )

~Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#24 bbqer

bbqer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

So...saw in The Stranger this week a short review of the CFS breakfast at Peso's.

The impression that I get from the review wa that it was served with Brown Gravy.... :P

Ok, I like to think that I am a pretty tolerant guy...BUT...Breakfast CFS gets served with Country/Cream Gravy.... NOT Brown Gravy.

Feel Free To Flame Away...I'll take on all comers. (I'm a little too concerned about this, aren't I? :P )

~Jason

No flames from this ex-Texan. Although I'd go farther than you and say Cream Gravy is de rigeur on all CFS, no matter what time of day consumed.

I haven't had Peso's CFS but I have had the Biscuits and Sausage Gravy (the same brown stuff). I do like the habanero sauage (nice and spicey) but would still prefer the traditional cream gravy. Why buck tradition?

Incidentally, their Eggs Benedict with Habanero Sausage is my fave. Delicioso!
"Never eat more than you can lift." ~ Miss Piggy

#25 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

bbqer --- I'm would agree. Not even Denny's serves it w/ brown gravy....it comes with the "country"gravy.
I suppose the brown gravy may make it more "formal" or "dinnerlike"?

(Yeah...tell that to a surfer eating a plate of Loco Moco! :P )

~Jason

~Jason

No flames from this ex-Texan. Although I'd go farther than you and say Cream Gravy is de rigeur on all CFS, no matter what time of day consumed.

I haven't had Peso's CFS but I have had the Biscuits and Sausage Gravy (the same brown stuff). I do like the habanero sauage (nice and spicey) but would still prefer the traditional cream gravy. Why buck tradition?

Incidentally, their Eggs Benedict with Habanero Sausage is my fave. Delicioso!

www.bloatitup.com

#26 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

Mmmmm, Loco Moco.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#27 MGLloyd

MGLloyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

When I don't have time to make country gravy from scratch, I like to use Pioneer brand country gravy mix. I have it on good authority from friends in Texas that many dining establishments there use Pioneer for their country gravy. This is by far the best dry mix I have found.

The only place I have ever been able to buy this is at the Marysville Wal-Mart Supercenter, in the grocery section with the dry gravy mixes.

#28 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

We had brunch with some friends at Cafe Campagna yesterday and the food was very good. We got the oeufs en meurette, which I enjoyed, but I couldn't really taste the foie gras in the sauce. Henry says it seems they've cut back on the foie, because it wasn't as decadant as it has been in the past. Nonetheless, very tasty--appropriately runny yolks, and fries done to a deep brown, just how I like them.

Posted Image

We also got the pork and liver pate, which is made in house. I thought this was great...the meat is very coarse, and the accompanying gherkins and pickled onions cut through the heaviness. I would definitely get this again.

Posted Image

french toast

Posted Image

croque monsieur (also very tasty...lots of cheese)

Posted Image

We don't always photograph our friends' food, but she insisted that we post her croque monsieur too, since it looked so delicious. :huh:

#29 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Paul and I had breakfast at Peso's on Sunday. For some reason I was expecting the place to be more.....I don't know......diner-ish. We were surprised to see Coffee Vita and fresh squeezed juices, as well as some great looking bloody mary's etc. Paul had the CFS which was pretty good. The "gravy" is really more of a pan sauce, but a fantastic one made with jalapenos and corn. I had the bisquits and gravy which I loved. The habanero sausage was left in big pieces and was plentiful. My only complaint is, even thought the menu says the egg dishes are served with hash browns, they are really breakfast potatoes. I'll definitely be back.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#30 bbqer

bbqer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

Paul and I had breakfast at Peso's on Sunday. For some reason I was expecting the place to be more.....I don't know......diner-ish. We were surprised to see Coffee Vita and fresh squeezed juices, as well as some great looking bloody mary's etc. Paul had the CFS which was pretty good. The "gravy" is really more of a pan sauce, but a fantastic one made with jalapenos and corn. I had the bisquits and gravy which I loved. The habanero sausage was left in big pieces and was plentiful. My only complaint is, even thought the menu says the egg dishes are served with hash browns, they are really breakfast potatoes. I'll definitely be back.

That said, the breakfast potatoes are quite tasty. I often don't eat the potatoes that come with breakfasts, but I like Peso's version. It's nice to have a good breakfast place that also serves good coffee. The Cafe Vita coffee Peso's serves is first-rate.

Next time try the eggs benedict with habanero sausage. Wonderful!
"Never eat more than you can lift." ~ Miss Piggy