148 replies to this topic

#31 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

Next time try the eggs benedict with habanero sausage. Wonderful!

Someone at a table near us ordered that and it looked great. That's what I'll have.....
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#32 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:05 AM

On the basis of our brunch at 35th St. today, my first visit, I really cannot recommend it. The food ranged from OK to "fine" as far as I could tell. There were 10 of us, and no one raved about their meal; the food that I tasted was pretty meh.

We ordered two bowls of frites for the table, and they came undercooked, soggy, and sitting in a puddle of oil. The creme fraiche that they were supposed to come with was a couple of blobs on the rim of the bowl. When we complained, they were replaced with two more bowls that were considerably better, but still they were no more than pretty good.

SeaGal ordered a BLT and it came without any bacon. Then they had to cook the bacon, and didn't bring her a fresh sandwich, but just sent out a side of bacon 5 minutes later. Honestly, what sort of a kitchen sends out a BLT without the bacon? I had a little blob of polenta with a supremely indifferent Italian sausage and two fried eggs that had their yolks broken by the cook (they didn't ask how I wanted them, but that wasn't it). There was a salade nicoise with no apparent dressing but an olive oil drizzle, a steak salad with virtually no dressing in evidence, just basically meat on greens, and an egregious rendition of a croque monsieur. Actually, it was a good grilled ham and cheese sandwich, but that's all it was. No bechamel or batter at all, so not a croque monsieur.

Maybe it's a lot better at dinner, or maybe the kitchen was having a bad day, but it was really an embarrassment to take out of town visitors there for brunch today.

#33 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

Someone at a table near us ordered that and it looked great. That's what I'll have.....

Is this Peso's at the bottom of QA?

eggs bennie with habanero sausage?! Rocky! the crawl is calling!!
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#34 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

You got it! We haven't had an installment in a while.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#35 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

You got it! We haven't had an installment in a while.

Rocky

If you go on a weekday I would be up for it too- since I'm on haitus and all :huh:
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#36 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

If you go on a weekday I would be up for it too- since I'm on haitus and all :lol:

Oh, fine. Rub it in :huh:
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#37 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

If you go on a weekday I would be up for it too- since I'm on haitus and all :huh:

likewise
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#38 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

If you go on a weekday I would be up for it too- since I'm on haitus and all :P

likewise

I can say without a doubt, that this will NOT be a weekday event (grrrrrrrrr)!

Besides, I'm not sure they do the bennie on weekdays. It might be a brunch only kinda thing.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#39 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

(cross referencing) Here is a link to SeAAttle's report on brunch this weekend at Maria Hine's restaurant Tilth.

#40 lola

lola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:40 AM

This may be a bit over-due, but I love a good brunch and wanted to add my favorite one.

A sure-fire brunch is at PORTAGE BAY CAFE on Roosevelt in the University district. It is sooo yummy. Go at one or after though to avoid the hour wait. Delicious scrambles made with the freshest, organic ingredients. I love the Five-year-Aged Dutch gouda and Isernio’s chicken-basil sausage scrambled with diced organic peppers, chopped organic garlic and fresh organic tomatoes. The Migas is a warmed flour tortilla stuffed with three scrambled eggs, chipotle peppers, organic sharp cheddar, cumin and fresh basil then topped with homemade pico de gallo, sour cream and fresh avocados, and amazing.

Although I never order off of the sweet side, here is an example: Fresh organic strawberry-rhubarb compote, vanilla custard and freshly whipped cream top three thick slices of graham cracker encrusted Great Harvest Bakery challah French toast. WOW. And all the sweet dishes (pancakes, waffles, etc.) come with a visit to their fruit bar. Heaping bowls of fresh fruits and creams and all the topping you could ask for. Plus they always have a special that will knock your socks off.

Go! It is so worth it.
Lola[color=#66FF99]

#41 creepygirl

creepygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

This may be a bit over-due, but I love a good brunch and wanted to add my favorite one.

A sure-fire brunch is at PORTAGE BAY CAFE on Roosevelt in the University district. It is sooo yummy. Go at one or after though to avoid the hour wait. Delicious scrambles made with the freshest, organic ingredients. I love the Five-year-Aged Dutch gouda and Isernio’s chicken-basil sausage scrambled with diced organic peppers, chopped organic garlic and fresh organic tomatoes. The Migas is a warmed flour tortilla stuffed with three scrambled eggs, chipotle peppers, organic sharp cheddar, cumin and fresh basil then topped with homemade pico de gallo, sour cream and fresh avocados, and amazing.

Although I never order off of the sweet side, here is an example: Fresh organic strawberry-rhubarb compote, vanilla custard and freshly whipped cream top three thick slices of graham cracker encrusted Great Harvest Bakery challah French toast. WOW. And all the sweet dishes (pancakes, waffles, etc.) come with a visit to their fruit bar. Heaping bowls of fresh fruits and creams and all the topping you could ask for. Plus they always have a special that will knock your socks off.

Go! It is so worth it.

I agree completely. One time the special was pumpkin French toast served in a huge pumpkin. The buckwheat pancakes are terrific as well, and their omelet with house-made sausage, gruyere, and apple is making my mouth water just thinking about it. Their menu makes most other breakfast/brunch places look boring and unimaginative in comparison. I wish we lived closer to it.

I also wanted to mention Cafe Moose (or Senor Moose Cafe, according to one of the signs outside) in Ballard. David and I went there last week after a trip to the market. I can't resist ordering chorizo and eggs when I see it on the menu, so we got that and sopes (masa cakes) with chicken. Chorizo was very good, but the sopes just blew me away--spicy, salty, smoky flavors mingling together. We also took a look at their dinner menu, which looks fabulous as well.

#42 Allyson

Allyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

I also agree that the Portage Bay Cafe is fabulous. I've had their “ranchers breakfast” before because I couldn't decide what I wanted of all the great things on their menu. Their wait on weekends is somewhat crazy, though.

Having just gotten back from Monsoon (since I live down the street and patronize them quite often for brunch), I have to plug their brunch. Their dim sum has been mentioned in passing on that thread and while it doesn't have the hold-in-the-wall ambience with the carts and the yelling Chinese grandmothers, their few options are really tasty and made to order. They've got BBQ pork buns, fried daikon cakes, pork shu mai, shrimp dumplings, chive and shrimp wontons, and lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice. You can order plates of two or three of a kind or get a sampler with one of each for $13.

They also have some great traditional ("colonial") brunch offerings. I'm madly in love with their vanilla French toast and their pork and shrimp sausage is quite nice as well.

While they claim they're fairly busy on Sundays after noon or so, I usually go on Saturdays and have never had to wait for a table at any time.

When I'm not so lazy I'll have to check out Tilth. If it's anywhere near as good as their dinner, I can't wait.

#43 lola

lola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

I love monsoon as well, I remember having an egg scramble with fiddlehead ferns... yum! Altough, rumor has it Eric Bahn gets his dim sum from the ID and charges double. Not sure if that is true, but funny.
Lola[color=#66FF99]

#44 Guest_aaustin_*

Guest_aaustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:57 PM

We stopped in for brunch today at Wild Mountain Cafe on 85th and were happily served a pretty good brunch. The atmosphere is homey--it's a converted house, which I admit is one of my weaknesses (makes for a cozy brunch). Caffe Vita coffee was great, and my husband had the Florentia omelet heavy on the bacon, swiss, spinach and shrooms, and I had the French Toast (good, but nothing special). I like that they serve freezer jam instead of those horrid packets of jam...just the little touches. They're family friendly, which is nice, and I think we'll go back. Anyone been there for dinner?

#45 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

I thought the brunch we ate recently at Monsoon was pretty good overall. The Kobe pho was tasty (though perhaps not twice as tasty as regular pho, but twice the price). The crispy daikon cake (I think they call it a turnip cake on the menu) was very good--the best thing we ordered. We also got the banh xeo (good, eggier-tasting but slightly softer than the banh xeo at Green Leaf), and the assorted dim sum. The dim sum (other than the turnip cake) was slightly over-steamed (soggy skins) and tasted pretty average.