1117 replies to this topic

#31 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

While I agree with everyone about the ease of transferring everything over from a PC, I cannot recommend Thunderbird. A friend uses it, and it has some seriously strange behaviors...much like the ones at the Another Subcontinent forum that keeps me from using it. (Slow-moving, slow-appearing characters,

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.

as for your mysterious troubles with another subcontinent's forums no one else seems to be able to replicate them. perhaps it is a mac/safari version thing with invision (and/or the forum mods in use there).

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#32 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

Ah. My pc is fine, so far, but when it's time to replace it, I think I'd like to switch. I've already saved everything to an external hard drive. I guess the trick will be finding someone who knows about both PCs and MACs who can set up the network. Not for a couple of years, I hope.

#33 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

While I agree with everyone about the ease of transferring everything over from a PC, I cannot recommend Thunderbird. A friend uses it, and it has some seriously strange behaviors...much like the ones at the Another Subcontinent forum that keeps me from using it. (Slow-moving, slow-appearing characters,

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.

as for your mysterious troubles with another subcontinent's forums no one else seems to be able to replicate them. perhaps it is a mac/safari version thing with invision (and/or the forum mods in use there).

Thunderbird as a transfer vehicle is very smart. Just don't use it as a program.

I don't use Safari: I use Camino (for MF)...and Camino works fine for all other Invision boards. (I'm not blaming anyone.)

#34 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:41 PM

Thunderbird as a transfer vehicle is very smart. Just don't use it as a program.

of course, on a pc you should use nothing else.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#35 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:46 PM

Without going into an anti-PC thing (not thaT you would), should I be using T-bird instead of Outlook Express?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#36 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:46 PM

Omni, there might be a very easy solution to transfering your emails. Outlook express supports the common POP protocol, but it also supports IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). If your service provider supports IMAP, you can just change your email protocol to IMAP, put up all your old messages onto your IMAP server (if the space alloted by your ISP is big enough that is) and then when you change to your Mac, get Outlook express for MAC and you can take all messages down from the IMAP server. It's like depositing all your emails on a server out there somewhere on the internets while you are moving to a new platform.

IMAP is platform agnostic so you don't have to care about converting anything.

As for transferring the other data, Mongo's suggestion of using a separate disk is good, especially since you should have a backup disk anyhow. But you can also hook your Mac up directly to your PC. USB link will do the job, but if your PC support Firewire, then it'll even be faster. From the Mac it is as easy as dragging and dropping folders from one drive to another.

I can't even.

#37 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

IMAP is platform agnostic

sorry for the geekspeak. it simply means IMAP doesn't care what platform you are playing on.

I can't even.

#38 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:15 PM

Without going into an anti-PC thing (not thaT you would), should I be using T-bird instead of Outlook Express?

yes. it is free. try it out and see for yourself.

~homer simpson

#39 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

I have heard this and didn't mean to imply that it was globally insufficient. Sorry if I stepped on any PC toes. Not my intention. Just wanted to warn Mac users.

#40 nightscotsman

nightscotsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:18 AM

Omni, there might be a very easy solution to transfering your emails. Outlook express supports the common POP protocol, but it also supports IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). If your service provider supports IMAP, you can just change your email protocol to IMAP, put up all your old messages onto your IMAP server (if the space alloted by your ISP is big enough that is) and then when you change to your Mac, get Outlook express for MAC and you can take all messages down from the IMAP server. It's like depositing all your emails on a server out there somewhere on the internets while you are moving to a new platform.

Outlook Express is no longer developed for the Mac, but the "Mail" prgram (which does support IMAP as well as Exchange) that comes with Mac OSX will import mail from Outlook just fine, retaining everything including mailboxes and folders.

#41 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:24 AM

I've been with Macs from day 1, and never looked back.

I recently switched to Entourage from Outlook Express and the transfer was problem free. I am using a G4 with OS10.3. I am considering getting a new G5 dual machine. My son in law has one and it is amazingly fast and stable.

Omni, as Pim writes, if you can connect your PC to the new Mac via firewire, you can transfer all your files in very short time. An issue can be the drivers for printers, scanners and other peripherals. My Epson scanner drivers would not easily make the switch from my older Mac to a newer one. Your peripherals may not be so easy to get drivers for the Mac. You should check on this.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#42 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

After a very reassuring consultation with Mr. Fantasty, I think I have a plan. Very nervous, but here it is.

Get PC back from the shop, make sure all is okay. (it's getting a new power supply and new motherboard)

Purchase external USB drive and BACK THE FUCK UP (If my PC has a firewire connection, I should get firewire drive, right?)

Purchase heavier duty surge protector.

Purchase MacBook. 60G hard drive, and will upgrade the memory from 512 to 1G.

13.3-inch widescreen display

1280 x 800 resolution

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo1

512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)

60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive2

SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

All MacBook models feature: a full-size keyboard, Scrolling Trackpad, AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire port, and optical digital and analog audio in/out.

Will buy new monitor (17 or 19) for use at home. Should be DVI monitor. (MacBooks only come in 13" at the moment, and I don't need to get a MacBook Pro for any reason, and don't need to spend that money either).

Then the work of the transfer, software, etc.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#43 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

is there anything similar to google desktop for the mac yet?

man, i need a headache

#44 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

Purchase external USB drive and BACK THE FUCK UP (If my PC has a firewire connection, I should get firewire drive, right?)

Well, if you need to use Firewire, buy a Firewire+USB 2.0 external drive. Firewire is around, but USB 2.0 is slowly wiping it out. Even Firewire's once ardent supporter Apple doesn't use many FW ports (none/one on Macbooks?).

This way you can use the drive with a new computer as well.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#45 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

One firewire port on the MacBook.

So assuming my PC has a USB2 port, I'll get a firewire/USB2 external drive. Or just a USB2 drive.

I was under the impression that firewire was faster/better, but I am happily corrected.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid