115 replies to this topic

#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

I'll be going next week. Where do I need to eat?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

For sheer old fashioned authenticty and charm I'd go to Galatoires and have a martini, oysters Rockefeller and fish meuniere almondine.

My go-to place for po' boys and other fried goodies is Casamento's on Magazine St.

I really liked Brigsten's, but its been a few years.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

I am not up to date on which restaurants are still open. Did we have another thread on the post-Katrina ups and downs?

If available, I would recommend Bayona. It really is worth doing the tasting menu at Emeril's - reserve a seat at the pass if you can. You will need to eat oysters at one of the traditional stand-up bars in the French quarter. You might also consider one of the ancient Creole restaurants - Antoine's or Galatoire's - if this is your first trip.

Emeril menu - but I preferred the surprise tasting.

Bayona
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

I couldn't find another food thread but I could've missed it. And yes, this is my first visit.

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

This is the thread. It might have some useful info.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

I am sure you know this already, but it is going to be hotter than a motherfucker down there right now.

That being said, cold beer and oysters seem to help with the heat and humidity.

The suggestions already made are good one. I'd add Acme for oysters and the aforementioned beer.

Frankie and Johnny's is a good cheap eats spot in Uptown on Arebellas street.

The BBQ shrimp at Pasquale Manales are very good, if it is still open.

I've also picked up some good street food from vendors at the Central Market, including a great gumbo from a woman stirring a big pot on a hotplate.

#7 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

I am sure you know this already, but it is going to be hotter than a motherfucker down there right now.

I'm taking a vacation from this NYC heat.

#8 yumyum

yumyum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

Cold beers and oysters? How will the poor dear survive?

Is there an emoticon for "jealous"?
I like mine moist and buttery.

#9 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

MF member Robert Peyton likes:

Stella

Cochon

Korea House

Broussard's

And one of his favorites, written about here and there on his New Orleans blog, is Lilette.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

Yes, you have to go to the market. And walking along the street that leads to it, on the left, just before or as you reach the market, is a store selling "muffalettas". Or was, anyway.

I have no idea of the name of the oyster bar I prefer to Acme, but I could walk right there. It is on either Decatur (probably not), Chartres, Royal or Bourbon, a block or two into the French district from Canal, on the south side. That sounds vague, but it's a pretty small area.

handy map

Also, since it's your first time, you should get the chicory coffee and sugar-smothered beignets at the Cafe du Monde on the corner of Jackson Square one morning.

What's the hotel, just the other side of Canal, where they invented the Sazerac?
Elect-a-lujah

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

Yes, you have to go to the market. And walking along the street that leads to it, on the left, just before or as you reach the market, is a store selling "muffalettas". Or was, anyway.

I have no idea of the name of the oyster bar I prefer to Acme, but I could walk right there. It is on either Decatur (probably not), Chartres, Royal or Bourbon, a block or two into the French district from Canal, on the south side. That sounds vague, but it's a pretty small area.

handy map

Also, since it's your first time, you should get the chicory coffee and sugar-smothered beignets at the Cafe du Monde on the corner of Jackson Square one morning.

What's the hotel, just the other side of Canal, where they invented the Sazerac?

I think you speak of the Central Market.
Acme's across whatever street from Felix's which is similar--some like one, some the other.
I think it's the Fairmont Hotel.
Don't wear black when you eat the beignets otherwise you'll be coated in powdered sugar.

Meanwhile, though they are everywhere, I think you can generally avoid Brennan Family places except Commander's Palace, which seems to serve everything and it's pretty good (it's in the Garden District), and a breakfast at Brennan's on Royal. Eggs Hussard and a Ramos Fizz. Or an omelet.

Then that happened.

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

Ah, I think Felix's is the one I like.

(Yes, Ron mentioned Central Market - I was just being lazy.)
Elect-a-lujah

#13 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hollywood is correct, it is Central Market, and it is a damn fine muffaletta. It's also a cool little store.

#14 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

Snug Harbor for jazz. Don't think the food there is anything though, but you don't have to eat there.

Then that happened.

#15 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

Photos.

Then that happened.