231 replies to this topic

#226 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

Feels strange to not have Cochon as a priority but our last visit there was not impressive and now that Mekelburg's has superior roasted oysters, we don't need to return. h.

Making me blush

The last Cochon visit was frankly, shameful. You opened Mekelburg's at the exact right time in MY life!

#227 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

Cochon was very much just okay. (A year ago? Two years?)

Why doesn’t anyone go to Bayona any more? Menu still looks good.

#228 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:02 AM

Bayona is a shadow of what it used to be. Lots of menus read well. But, places become complacent because of the sheer number of tourists to fill seats (see my comments below-and reference the same phenomenon in LV). Her Lakeside place is better. But, IMO, not worth the trek.

Cochon has brought back some of the staff that was in place during the heyday. There is some serious progress back to those days. Matt, the current GM, has been with the company for over 10 years. I met him when he tended bar at Cochon while he was in college. He was at Cochon for 5 years before moving to Peche to help open it. Then over to Butcher, as GM to get it in shape. Now back to Cochon to wield the ax and get rid of the culture that had made Cochon a shadow of what it once was. He has made it clear that no one is immune from being fired if they don’t toe the line. I was there for lunch earlier in the week. While it is a work in progress, it is definitely moving in the right direction. The laissez-faire attitude of ‘tourist will always fill the seats, so turn and burn’ is definitely gone.

#229 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:23 AM

Good info. By chance a dear friend was at Cochon tonight, her first time in NOLA, and loved it.

#230 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

Matt would be thrilled to hear that. He really is working hard to turn the ship. Glad she enjoyed it. I am obviously known there. So I always try to temper my comments to include that factor. But, I have seen a discernible improvement as I tend to try to note how the other diners are enjoying (or not) their experience wherever I am.

#231 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:50 AM

So, hit it out of the park on all meals. In no particular order:

The Elysian Bar

La Petite Grocery

Herbsaint

Cochon

Paladar 511

Compere Lapin

Coquette 

Justine

Bywater American Bistro

Still needs work (foodwise) Jewel of the South. But cocktails are recommended (as expected).

No changes to previously recommended restaurants not mentioned in this post with the exception of Brennan's. They are still serving Slade Rushing's menu. But it is not the same. No new chef in the kitchen yet.

#232 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

We have booked Compere Lapin for the Sunday Birthday dinner in October and then La Petite Grocery for Monday. Staying at Maison de la Luz so access to Bar Marilou should be easy.

One of our lunches will be at one of the Vietnamese places, probably Tan Dinh (not my call but it's also not my birthday trip) and would it be worth trying Turkey & the Wolf for the other lunch?