231 replies to this topic

#16 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

I believe the actual name of the muffaletta store is "Central Grocery". The Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone is fun for a spin or two, and is the home of the Vieux-Carré.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#17 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

I believe the actual name of the muffaletta store is "Central Grocery".

yep, it is. my memory ain't what is used to be . . .

#18 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

I believe the actual name of the muffaletta store is "Central Grocery".

yep, it is. my memory ain't what is used to be . . .

That's the place. You can actually buy the olive spread there to make your own muffalettas (when you get home).

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#19 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:17 AM

Definitely Galatoire's...get there early and eat downstairs-no reservations-except for the upstairs which is for tourists :P ). Friday lunch is a hoot, with "old New Orleans' and the judiciary filling the tables. Old fashions and martinis are flying. Ask for Billy (with the moustache) as your captain.

I'd also suggest a cocktail or glass/bottle of wine in the courtyard at Brennan's. Unless you particularly want a heavy meal, skip the food part.

Although I had a relatively poor meal at August a while back, I have been hearing good things from friends who've been recently.

#20 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

It's been 5 years since the last time, but maybe some of this is relevant. Let me be the first to say that it's "Central Market" :P , which is basically across the street from Cafe du Monde, which should definitely be gone to for beignets and coffee (sit outside on the fringe) if for no other reason then to listen to the street jazz musicians that play in front of it to get lots of money from the tourists who are drinking coffee and eating beignets. Also walk thru the Market which has 2 sections; one for flea market items and one for food. Great place to talk to the vendors and get ideas of what's hot, music and bar wise, at the moment. And to get hot sauce with very inventive labels.

All in & around the French Quarter...

Food:

Uglesich is gone. Too bad.
Dooky Chase: soul food/fried chicken/Leah Chase. Still there?
Mulate's (walkable from the Quarter): you will be in misery or love it.
Acme: if you like oysters, cheap local oysters, dont let anyone convince you not to go here. Stand at the front oyster bar and eat dozens of them with an Abita or 10. Felix is almost as good, across the street, but without the local color, in my opinion.
NOLA's: havent been in 6 years or so, but we remember it as being very good.
Bayona: I second whoever said this. If Susan Spicer is still in the kitchen, this is very nice.
Irene's Cuisine, 539 St Philip.: Seven years ago, this would have been written up as a CH find. Not a clue as to whether its still there, with the same kitchen, &/or worth it.
Croissant d'Or, 615 Ursulines: morning coffee and pastry in a back courtyard; very calm place to set up your day

Not food:

La Belle Gallerie and the Black Art Collection, 309 Chartres. Huge gallery of African American artists
Preservation Hall: you know this, right? Dont miss it, even though it's packed with tourists.
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop: yes, it's worth it. Not only old and noteworthy, but it's a real bar with a mix of locals and sightseers. Go late, and sing along at the Piano bar in back :P
Storyville: a lower keyed, easy to see a concert, House of Blues type place. There's also a House of Blues which, if nothing else, had/has? an interesting collection of "outsider art" on the walls of its restaurant area.
Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo: so I'm a tourist.
Howlin'Wolf, 828 St.Peters (just outside the Quarter: walkable). We caught good local bands there.

Other things: We loved walking thru the cemeteries :P , taking the street cars, touring the Garden District, Tipitina's (if Mulate's was fun, not torture), Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World (take the ferry across... check to see if it's still there, as I think that it got hit hard), & crossing the long beautiful Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (bridge) near sunset.

This space available… contact owner.

#21 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Susan Spicer is still at Bayona. Some friends went this year. Still good.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#22 Merlin

Merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

I responded and then realized you are probably already there! So never mind!

#23 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

Felix is almost as good, across the street, but without the local color, in my opinion.

I think that's why I prefer it. But hey, try both.

Lafitte's is a must. The good thing about Preservation Hall is that the set doesn't last very long. Historic, but I do not need to be told that many times about what will happen when the Saints come marching in.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#24 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

Felix is almost as good, across the street, but without the local color, in my opinion.

I think that's why I prefer it. But hey, try both.

Lafitte's is a must. The good thing about Preservation Hall is that the set doesn't last very long. Historic, but I do not need to be told that many times about what will happen when the Saints come marching in.

But somehow I just dont picture you at Mulate's or Tipitina. :P

This space available… contact owner.

#25 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

Nyeah.

Who's that drag act who's been doing a show every night in her own club on Bourbon Street forever?
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#26 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

Nyeah.

Who's that drag act who's been doing a show every night in her own club on Bourbon Street forever?

Bianco del Rio?

#27 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

What a great city! I wish that work didn't take up most of my day and that I had more time there. I still managed to get in some good meals.

My first stop was Acme and I somehow arrived during a freak lull so I got Hollywood, Acme's famous shucker all to myself. He literally talked to me the entire time that I was there which was about an hour or so. I have to admit that I don't love the Louisiana oysters that I had. They were pretty tasteless, and I broke my cardinal lemon juice only rule and used some hot sauce. I loved the experience though, and I went back one more time, though it was packed that time. Oh, and Hollywood shucked my first pearl!

Felix is closed.

Mother's was right up the street from my hotel so I managed to get there a couple of times. I guess some would consider it a tourist trap but I loved it, it reminded me of Katz's. The first time I went, I got a shrimp po boy, which was pretty good though nothing earth shattering. A co-worker told me that that thing to get is a debris po boy and he was so very right. Debris is the beef that falls into the "gravy" while the beef is cooking. They put it on a hero, add more gravy, some cole slaw and mustard....and you get out your napkins.

My last night, co-workers took me toPort of Call, which is known for their burgers. This place is totally old school and though you don't think you'd come to New Orleans, I loved it. It also comes with a baked potato ala Sizzler. Why don't more places do this?? It's a beauty and I ordered it with the works: sour cream, chives, cheese and baco bits.

I also managed to get to theCrescent City Farmer's Market, where I got Creole tomatoes, Creole cream cheese, Alabama peaches and milk.

Unfortunately when I got to Central Market, they had run out of muffalettas! To console myself, I bought a jar of hot pickled quail eggs and thought that this would be just more reason to go back soon...
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#28 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

I have to admit that I don't love the Louisiana oysters that I had.

I'd be interested to know how much they cost these days. I have happy memories of thirty cent oysters, which kind of compensated for any lack of flavor. Sorry that Felix has gone.
Elect-a-lujah

#29 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

I have to admit that I don't love the Louisiana oysters that I had.

I'd be interested to know how much they cost these days. I have happy memories of thirty cent oysters, which kind of compensated for any lack of flavor. Sorry that Felix has gone.

$9.99 for a dozen. Beer was like 3 bucks I think.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#30 yumyum

yumyum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

Oh. My. God. That debris po boy is soooooo up my alley.

I think it all sounds great -- damned work getting in the way.

Did you have beignets at Cafe du Monde?

And also, biggest freak you saw -- conference attendees excluded (HA!)?
I like mine moist and buttery.